Author Topic: diesel  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: diesel
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 03:14:24 pm »
FWIW, In the last 8 months I have never had to wait in line for a Diesel pump.  And only 1 (an Esso) has been messy.
But he is in NB , they may only have one diesel pump  :o  :run:

:rofl:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 03:49:49 pm »
FWIW, In the last 8 months I have never had to wait in line for a Diesel pump.  And only 1 (an Esso) has been messy.

I also run an additive in the winter months to prevent gelling.  Likely not required but it's pretty cheap insurance, ~$1-2/tank.

I haven't used any & this is my 2nd winter with the diesel... never had an issue, so many additives in the winter fuel to prevent gelling now.

I've never added anything or had any trouble starting in my 3rd winter now. Also never waited on a pump (think Costco) or found pump to be messy. Seems like every station has diesel in SW Ontario.

Lots of stations in the GTA do not have diesel, probably 50/50, and I do find that the pump/handle is usually greasier than a gas pump, but that's just the nature of diesel.

Starting might be an issue in the coldest areas of Canada, but around here I don't think diesel starting is typically an issue. This Terrain takes maybe 5-10 seconds to warm the glow plugs before it kicks over on sub-zero cold starts, beyond that, nothing noteworthy.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 08:03:01 pm »
By what I see in European trade publications, I'm guessing diesel will be eradicated from passenger cars within 10 years, if not faster. Manufacturers like PSA are scrambling to find gas engines as customers are changing - yup, they now have excess diesel engine production capacity.

I was driving an i8 for the week. Amazing what you can do with 3 cylinders and electrics  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 10:17:23 pm »
and I do find that the pump/handle is usually greasier than a gas pump, but that's just the nature of diesel.

If you operate a diesel vehicle you need to keep a glove in the vehicle just for fill ups.  The pump handles always leave a residue on one's hand and it will stink of diesel all day or until it's washed.   

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 10:18:55 pm »
lol, I only get a few diesel testers a year; I usually just grab some papertowel from the window cleaning kiosk and grab it with that. No prob.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 10:27:49 pm »
and I do find that the pump/handle is usually greasier than a gas pump, but that's just the nature of diesel.

If you operate a diesel vehicle you need to keep a glove in the vehicle just for fill ups.  The pump handles always leave a residue on one's hand and it will stink of diesel all day or until it's washed.

My stepdad had a diesel Chevy pickup. 

He kept a pair of gloves in a dual ziplocked bag just for pumping diesel.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

ltruong

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 11:18:59 pm »
I've had 3 diesels and I love them but beside working truck I don't think they will be out there much longer....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 09:24:15 am »
Even if it's only audible from outside, I think the tractor noise would turn me off from a diesel. I don't drive that much so it doesn't make sense financially, either.
PHEV for me!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 09:33:26 am »
The pump handles always leave a residue on one's hand and it will stink of diesel all day or until it's washed.

Again, this hasn't really been my experience.  I bought a pack of latex gloves for that reason but haven't needed them.  Except that one time in 20k km.

Even if it's only audible from outside, I think the tractor noise would turn me off from a diesel.

Heh, I kind of like it.  And when underway it is just like any other 4cyl.  And really, at idle it's not a lot worse than a regular DI motor.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 09:43:07 am »
The pump handles always leave a residue on one's hand and it will stink of diesel all day or until it's washed.

Again, this hasn't really been my experience.  I bought a pack of latex gloves for that reason but haven't needed them.  Except that one time in 20k km.

Even if it's only audible from outside, I think the tractor noise would turn me off from a diesel.

Heh, I kind of like it.  And when underway it is just like any other 4cyl.  And really, at idle it's not a lot worse than a regular DI motor.

Depends where you fill up for the fuel on the handle... usually most Petro Canada's have clean handles, go to Drummonds on Bronson & they're covered in diesel... if that's the case I usually just get some paper towels from their bin & use them.

On really cold days mine sounds like a tractor, but once it's warmed up you can barely tell. Heard a BMW X1 the other day downtown with it's DI 4cyl gas engine & it sounded louder than my diesel  :o
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 09:47:19 am »
With the popularity of passenger car diesel in QC, or ex-popularity I should say, lots of pumps are in suburban context, away from truckers, so during the two years I owned the Golf TDI I only saw one dirty pump nozzle.

A neighbour recently trader his pre-Chatanooga Passat on a new Jaguar XE 2.0d. From my experience with the XF, this is one frugal kitty, but nowhere near a PHEV in urban context.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 10:16:06 am »

In my experience with VW TDI the list below are compromises from the past. Modern diesels vehicles have come a long way....

Dirty pumps (maybe once but gas handle directly beside looked the same)
Black smoke out the tail pipe
Won't start in cold weather
Waiting for glow plugs
Loud engine inside and out
Expensive to service (compared to ICE) and need adblue (cheap as chips and easier than washer fluid to fill)
Slow to warm up the cabin
Diesel not available at fuel station (I guess that depends where you live, I can't think of a station that doesn't have it in Orangeville)
My car is killing babies and flowers everyday

All fake news...other than the last one ::)

Offline dedeno1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: PEUGEOT 206 1.6 16V
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 10:26:00 am »
By what I see in European trade publications, I'm guessing diesel will be eradicated from passenger cars within 10 years, if not faster. Manufacturers like PSA are scrambling to find gas engines as customers are changing - yup, they now have excess diesel engine production capacity.

I was driving an i8 for the week. Amazing what you can do with 3 cylinders and electrics  ;D

Yes, i'm in France and here, in big cities (like Paris, Nantes, Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille, ...), diesel cars (bus and trucks later) will be banned in downtown from 2020/2025. At this moment, to have a 2000 diesel car or a 2025 diesel car it will be the same : not allowed in downtown !
But today, if we have a pollution alert, diesel cars are'nt allowed in downtown but only from 8am to 8pm !

Last year, diesel cars sold less than gas cars ! PSA, for exemple, could not cope with the demand for gas engine and had to import engines from his chinese factory ! At the same time, PSA (always for exemple but it's the same for all car manufacturers) can't sell his already produced diesel cars !

This "scourge" in France (and Europe) is due that the Frensh buy diesel cars with less than 100 hp for drive only less than 50 km a day in traffic jams for go to work. This clogs the particle filters and that causes 10000 death a year directly because of diesel particles !

PS : sorry for my english, do not hesitate to correct me  :hello:

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 10:58:03 am »

Yes, i'm in France and here, in big cities (like Paris, Nantes, Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille, ...), diesel cars (bus and trucks later) will be banned in downtown from 2020/2025. At this moment, to have a 2000 diesel car or a 2025 diesel car it will be the same : not allowed in downtown !
But today, if we have a pollution alert, diesel cars are'nt allowed in downtown but only from 8am to 8pm !

Last year, diesel cars sold less than gas cars ! PSA, for exemple, could not cope with the demand for gas engine and had to import engines from his chinese factory ! At the same time, PSA (always for exemple but it's the same for all car manufacturers) can't sell his already produced diesel cars !

This "scourge" in France (and Europe) is due that the Frensh buy diesel cars with less than 100 hp for drive only less than 50 km a day in traffic jams for go to work. This clogs the particle filters and that causes 10000 death a year directly because of diesel particles !

Thanks for sharing. That's a very good point you brought up, don't buy a diesel if you usual commute doesn't allow the engine get up to regular operating temperature. So again diesel is really only for certain type of driver. 50 KM in stop and go traffic jam each day is literally my nightmare. Hell NO

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 11:04:00 am »

I was driving an i8 for the week. Amazing what you can do with 3 cylinders and electrics  $145,000 ;D

Fixed ;)

Offline dedeno1

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 11:14:30 am »

Thanks for sharing. That's a very good point you brought up, don't buy a diesel if you usual commute doesn't allow the engine get up to regular operating temperature. So again diesel is really only for certain type of driver. 50 KM in stop and go traffic jam each day is literally my nightmare. Hell NO

I will add that the diesel engines were designed to operate on a steady-speed road particularly the latest generations, to be able to carry out the cleaning cycles of particle filters.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 02:41:23 pm »
Every time I hear and smell diesel I am instantly reminded of starting up the fishing boats at 4am to go lobster fishing.   Amazing how certain things can bring back memories so clearly
Mr Pickypants

Offline dedeno1

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2018, 02:56:18 am »
In France, we name diesel engines the engine of trawlers  ;D

Same smell, same sound !

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2018, 10:33:27 pm »

I was driving an i8 for the week. Amazing what you can do with 3 cylinders and electrics  $145,000 ;D

Fixed ;)

Actually, 166k$ before pdi and taxes.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2018, 10:35:09 pm »

Aucun problème avec ton anglais, et merci de nous visiter ici!