Author Topic: Test Drive: 2018 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition  (Read 9099 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2018, 01:43:37 am »
Its the kind of truck my dad would like. Retired, fits golf clubs,  enough for work around the house or haul a little 4x8 trailer. Drive more like a car.

It's the type of truck I'd like!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2018, 08:59:26 am »
Its the kind of truck my dad would like. Retired, fits golf clubs,  enough for work around the house or haul a little 4x8 trailer. Drive more like a car.

I like them but they still suck too much gas for my liking. :-\
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2018, 09:24:09 am »
Its not like the big 3 where you can get 15-20k off a year old model lol.
forget used, you can get $10-$15k off a brand new model...MSRPs for domestic trucks are meaningless.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2018, 10:09:11 am »

For sure...more of IF I had to have a truck type of thing.

ltruong

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2018, 10:12:36 am »

My dad still drive his last model ford ranger.  I think it's too much for him and it feels so stiff but he only put like 4K a year on it so he does not care.  he mostly walk and bicycle everywhere.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2018, 10:20:37 am »
Nobody commented on the fact that Mr. Black got the Black edition?  It was made for him, right down to the Jacob-sized cooler in the truckbed ;D

My buddy is a cop - he definitely doesn't 'need' a truck.  He admits that 99% of his mileage will be hauling air.  Still, a countryboy at heart, he likes him some truckin' and he did renovate the home they bought last year (several lowes runs).  They go camping fairly frequently in the summer months, so a truck isn't 'wasted' there (even though a Corolla could still do it all fairly well).

The in-bed cooler and the nicer drive sealed the deal for him.  He didn't feel like driving the Ridgeline was limiting or cumbersome at all.  They live in Keswick, so it's not like parking is a huge deal (they have a short/narrow suburban driveway, and he backs it in daily with no trouble).

They had an engagement party a few weeks ago.  He realized that nobody brought a cooler, and without flinching he backed the truck right into the backyard, loaded it with bags and bags of ice, and it held about 100 bottles/cans of beer nice and cold.  Party trick, for sure, but a wicked one.  When all was done, he just undid the drain plug and it was empty quickly.

Fantastic idea and a fantastic truck.

And if we're suggesting other things people should buy instead of the Ridgeline due to price, I believe the 2016 Buick Envision 2.0T AWD Premium II is the way to go.  It appreciates in value, can tow 1,500lbs (who needs more, amiright?), and held more Gs on the skidpad in Edmunds testing compared to any of the trucks you're all suggesting.  Best bang for your buck right there.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2018, 11:11:14 am »

For me it is the gas thing. I have a twenty year old truck that  consistently gets 32 mpg or 8.2 l per 100

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2018, 11:14:31 am »

For me it is the gas thing. I have a twenty year old truck that  consistently gets 32 mpg or 8.2 l per 100
4 banger? LOL

Pretty rare that any truck gets that mileage IMO.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2018, 11:59:14 am »

4 banger? LOL

Isn't Seafoam's truck that little 4-Cyl Nissan Frontier dealie?  I could see 8.2L/100km out of that thing easy.  And the best part is, it is still fully capable of hauling a yard of topsoil, or sheets of plywood, or whatever you need around the house.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2018, 01:42:52 pm »
My dad has now had his new Ridgeline for about 2 months, and he's still raving about it.  He got a folding cover for the back, so holds golf clubs securely.  Trips to Canadian Tire for odds and ends, buying landscaping supplies, going to antique auctions with my mom...does everything he needs and drives like a CUV.  Not sure there is THAT much more utility for his purposes versus the Pilot he sold to me, but I think not worrying about dirt in the cargo area is a plus.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2018, 03:00:16 pm »

4 banger? LOL

yup.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2018, 03:03:43 pm »

4 banger? LOL

Isn't Seafoam's truck that little 4-Cyl Nissan Frontier dealie?  I could see 8.2L/100km out of that thing easy.  And the best part is, it is still fully capable of hauling a yard of topsoil, or sheets of plywood, or whatever you need around the house.
I use it as a truck and it is cheap to run. Otherwise i'd sell it and just use my utility trailer and the car.
If that Ridgeline was a little better on gas I'd be interested. It is multi talented. Too much Scottish heritage in me I guess. :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:06:22 pm by Seafoam »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2018, 03:17:53 pm »
As much as I'd like a Taco or RL, I want my gear inside the warmth of the cabin, so SUV it is for me.  That said, these are some super practical devices if you need to haul stuff, but it's not a true HD work truck.

One of my best friends is a commercial and residential builder, and you'd be hard pressed to pry his Ridgeline out of his cold dead hands.  It's got more than enough clearance and "4x4" capability to get around any job site, the AWD is great in the winter for driving around the city, it's super comfy, and when he does need to haul a tool or something somewhere, it can do it.  He's not getting in and out in grimy coveralls, so he doesn't mind having a comfy interior.

One of his good industry buds is the owner of Igloo Building supplies, whose daily driver is an LX570, but after riding in the Ridgeline, he bought one as his kick-around work truck - still has the LX, of course, but now keeps the Honda at the yard for truck duties.  Gotta love it when a $60K truck is your "knock around" vehicle...