Author Topic: The car market is turning.  (Read 55709 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: The car market is turning.
« Reply #920 on: April 16, 2024, 05:03:55 pm »
Most of the problems i hear about with new diesels are related to emission control.  When I had an excavator up at my property doing some work last year he had to pause midway through back filling a trench because an emissions sensor shut things down.  He had to call tech support to log in and reset the code before he could finish.  The tractor was almost 5 years old at that point and he wasn't sure if he wanted to buy out the lease that ended soon.  Told me it has happened several times in the past.       

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #921 on: April 16, 2024, 05:19:02 pm »
Nothing pulls like a well tuned big diesel, I've been in a few and even with a big 5th wheel/skid steer, they are still shockingly fast.

Had a rented F150 Lightning last year to tow 7500 lb trailer, nothing pulls like 580 HP + and instant torque.

For 6 blocks.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 16, 2024, 05:20:09 pm »
Most of the problems i hear about with new diesels are related to emission control.  When I had an excavator up at my property doing some work last year he had to pause midway through back filling a trench because an emissions sensor shut things down.  He had to call tech support to log in and reset the code before he could finish.  The tractor was almost 5 years old at that point and he wasn't sure if he wanted to buy out the lease that ended soon.  Told me it has happened several times in the past.     

All the farmers on my wife's side hate the new age equipment for this very reason. Too many sensors and the stupid emission controls just absolutely ruin the new machines.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #923 on: April 16, 2024, 05:25:03 pm »

All the farmers on my wife's side hate the new age equipment for this very reason. Too many sensors and the stupid emission controls just absolutely ruin the new machines.

Farming equipment companies not allowing farmer to work on their own sh!t too.  subscription based farming!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #924 on: April 16, 2024, 05:25:27 pm »
Nothing pulls like a well tuned big diesel, I've been in a few and even with a big 5th wheel/skid steer, they are still shockingly fast.

Had a rented F150 Lightning last year to tow 7500 lb trailer, nothing pulls like 580 HP + and instant torque.

For 6 blocks.....

:rofl: Exactly. Not exactly a Baja rig.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #925 on: April 16, 2024, 05:30:43 pm »

For 6 blocks.....

Guys, open your eyes. Ford overbuilt the F150 Lightning Electric Pickup. It’s not just the best pickup, but nothing tows like it either. This probably hasn’t been mentioned enough; it has 580 HP.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 16, 2024, 05:32:03 pm »

For 6 blocks.....

Guys, open your eyes. Ford overbuilt the F150 Lightning Electric Pickup. It’s not just the best pickup, but nothing tows like it either. This probably hasn’t been mentioned enough; it has 580 HP.
Wow, so it really has 580hp, thats gotta be best pickup E-V-E-R!!

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #927 on: April 16, 2024, 05:41:03 pm »

For 6 blocks.....

Wow, so it really has 580hp, thats gotta be best pickup E-V-E-R!!

No different than all the EV’s, the best thing that ever happened to the automotive world. Why else would they all be flying off dealers lots without any rebates, bribes, and threats of future mandates? Ford would probably never sell another ICE truck if they just had more Lightnings to sell.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 16, 2024, 06:16:32 pm »
As Motor Trend found out:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #929 on: April 16, 2024, 06:35:13 pm »

Farming equipment companies not allowing farmer to work on their own sh!t too.  subscription based farming!

Yep, class action suits under way regarding that shady practice...https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/deere-must-face-us-farmers-right-to-repair-lawsuits-judge-rules-2023-11-27/

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 17, 2024, 10:44:15 pm »
Towed a 6000 lb trailer around Prince Edward County last year in a Lightning standard range (98 kWh battery).
Two and a half hours of effortless towing, no issues, charged truck to full at every camp site overnight.

Our new Lightning is the Extended Range 131 kWh Lariat trim and we're doing a 4 week east coast trip with a 7500 lb trailer (two slides, center island kitchen, king bed, etc).
Range when towing is plenty for our retirement travel needs.

Those who have kids and need to get to destinations without any stops, stick with your less powerful gas trucks, I've done tens of thousands of km in RV's and I won't be sad to skip gas stations and the $400 fill ups.

I'll be using Blue Cruise and enjoying the view with weeks of time to get around and visit Cabot Trail while charging the truck up while camping.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: The car market is turning
« Reply #931 on: April 17, 2024, 10:57:18 pm »
Man just stop already. We get it. You own the best of everything and do everything the best.  The end.

And just stop exaggerating everything. I’ve never put $400 into a pickup. That would be $2 a liter at 200L. It just doesn’t happen unless you’ve got a slip tank.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 17, 2024, 11:16:34 pm »
Towed a 6000 lb trailer around Prince Edward County last year in a Lightning standard range (98 kWh battery).
Two and a half hours of effortless towing, no issues, charged truck to full at every camp site overnight.

Our new Lightning is the Extended Range 131 kWh Lariat trim and we're doing a 4 week east coast trip with a 7500 lb trailer (two slides, center island kitchen, king bed, etc).
Range when towing is plenty for our retirement travel needs.

Those who have kids and need to get to destinations without any stops, stick with your less powerful gas trucks, I've done tens of thousands of km in RV's and I won't be sad to skip gas stations and the $400 fill ups.

I'll be using Blue Cruise and enjoying the view with weeks of time to get around and visit Cabot Trail while charging the truck up while camping.

So you juiced up every night on coal fired electricity. Good job you drive a coal powered truck. ;D  Towing distance does not work. Car and Driver tested it and got about 100 mile range towing. Frankly that is a joke.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #933 on: April 17, 2024, 11:34:04 pm »

No Starlink?  :rofl2:

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #934 on: April 18, 2024, 12:55:19 am »

For 6 blocks.....

All that power and torque while towing…..I wonder just how useable it is? Most flatlanders in Alberta tow most everything down the highway @ 120k. We know EV’s are ridiculously inefficient at highway speeds. Now, the best truck ever built (naturally the Lightning) towing that 7500# at 120 on a sunny summer day with the A/C cranked and the box full, what can I expect? Can I get from Calgary to Olds? Calgary to Canmore? (Teslas struggle with that one in the winter). How about where I live, the mountains, how much range will a climb up the Coqailalla going to eat up?

All that power, but to use it to keep up with a gas truck is just going to land you at the very expensive charging station even sooner. That guy in the ICE truck is already at his campsite, set up, and enjoying a beverage by the fire without a single worry about changing anything but his flashlight. I have to pay how much for this EV bliss on holiday adventures?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 12:57:30 am by revalations »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 18, 2024, 01:38:13 pm »

For 6 blocks.....

All that power and torque while towing…..I wonder just how useable it is? Most flatlanders in Alberta tow most everything down the highway @ 120k. We know EV’s are ridiculously inefficient at highway speeds. Now, the best truck ever built (naturally the Lightning) towing that 7500# at 120 on a sunny summer day with the A/C cranked and the box full, what can I expect? Can I get from Calgary to Olds? Calgary to Canmore? (Teslas struggle with that one in the winter). How about where I live, the mountains, how much range will a climb up the Coqailalla going to eat up?

All that power, but to use it to keep up with a gas truck is just going to land you at the very expensive charging station even sooner. That guy in the ICE truck is already at his campsite, set up, and enjoying a beverage by the fire without a single worry about changing anything but his flashlight. I have to pay how much for this EV bliss on holiday adventures?

Yeah, 120km/h towing trailer with the infamous prairie wind blowing towards you, as it happened to me almost every time I dragged our trailer anywhere. Couldn't imagine having to stop every hour to "fill up". Even with my 06 2500HD with a very thirsty 6L, I still got well above 300km for range, and filling up took minutes. "Less powerful trucks", dudes never been in an uncorked diesel truck hauling something, thats power.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: The car market is turning
« Reply #936 on: April 25, 2024, 12:53:37 am »
And just stop exaggerating everything. I’ve never put $400 into a pickup. That would be $2 a liter at 200L. It just doesn’t happen unless you’ve got a slip tank.

I noted that I am comparing to our Lightning towing a 27' trailer, which obviously is the same size as a large class A/B gas RV which takes $500 to fill at a minimum.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 25, 2024, 12:57:28 am »
So you juiced up every night on coal fired electricity. Good job you drive a coal powered truck. ;D  Towing distance does not work. Car and Driver tested it and got about 100 mile range towing. Frankly that is a joke.

Show me where I am powering the truck from coal in Ontario Canada, my province of ownership?
And FYI,

Tesla
@Tesla
A few stats:

- In 2023, our owners avoided approximately 20 million tons of CO2e through use of our products
- Our Supercharger network was 100% renewable in 2023 (achieved through combination of onsite resources & annual renewable matching)

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1782546894415134945

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 25, 2024, 12:58:54 am »

I noted that I am comparing to our Lightning towing a 27' trailer, which obviously is the same size as a large class A/B gas RV which takes $500 to fill at a minimum.

Again....apples to oranges.

Such disingenuous, nonsensical comparisons do zero for your credibility.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 25, 2024, 01:11:37 am »
We know EV’s are ridiculously inefficient at highway speeds. Now, the best truck ever built (naturally the Lightning) towing that 7500# at 120 on a sunny summer day with the A/C cranked and the box full, what can I expect?

210 km of towing range at 100 km/h.  I do the speed limit when driving a 20000 lb RV rig or 45 feet of truck and trailer.  You do you.
At 2 hours of towing range without charging, that's 5 days to cover 1000 km without needing to stop and pay to charge.
Retired life allows me to smell the roses along the way, to each their own.

Calgary to Canmore?

100 km.  Yeah.  Even my 11 year old Tesla can make that on 30% of a battery ... but then again, you could just see that it doesn't matter how far you're driving, there is a supercharger on the route :
https://driveteslacanada.ca/canadian-supercharger-map/

Wishing those gas truck owners getting 6 mpg towing an 8000 lb trailer at 130 km/h happy motoring.  $36/100 km. 
The Lariat trim gas F150 with the same options (but SLOWER, LOUDER) vs Lightning are within a few thousand $ right now in Ontario.

WHEREAS, Tesla supercharging is $0.50/kWh.  100 km towing range is 75 kWh or $31 in electricity.   Cheaper than gas.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 01:13:27 am by bye »