Author Topic: Tesla Roadster 2.0  (Read 15923 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla Roadster 2.0
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 11:46:31 pm »
Wondering if Tesla will begin to outsource some of the major manufacturing for low production run vehicles like these.

Think about it, Tesla produces the motors, battery systems and tech.   Magna or someone else could make the vehicle. 

Works for many OEM's on such projects.   Daimler, Ford and others do this all the time.   The Ford GT was manufactured in Markham Ontario for example.

Already imagining I'll pick one of these Tesla Semi trucks off lease for a retirement home hauler when that time comes.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 12:02:43 am »
+--------------------+------------------------+---------------------+
| Metric             | 2018 Bugatti Chiron    | 2020 Tesla Roadster |
| MSRP               | $2,998,000             | $200,000            |
| 0-60 MPH           | 2.3 sec                | 1.9 sec             |
| 0-100 MPH          | 4.8 sec                | 4.2 sec             |
| 1/4 mile           | 9.4 sec @ 139 MPH      | 8.8 sec @ ??        |
| Mileage            | 8 MPG city, 15 MPG hwy | 20 kWh/100km        |
| Fuel capacity      | 26.4 gal               | 200 kWh             |
| Range, miles       | 396 miles              | 620 miles           |
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:05:29 am by Smart Electric »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 12:10:18 am »
The Veyron is real.

The Tesla is vaporware.

Big difference.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 12:17:11 am »

Wondering if Tesla will begin to outsource some of the major manufacturing for low production run vehicles like these.

I dunno...Musk is too much of a control freak.

Tesla as a company and its products would be far better off if Musk was 100 percent hands off.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 12:37:33 am »
Literally every supercar maker is currently shaking in their boots.  This is incredible.

Of course, Tesla is functionally bankrupt but who is counting?
They definitely are not...

They should be.  This is the future and it is literally at the doorstep.

30y future....yep so scary omg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 01:12:35 am »
Literally every supercar maker is currently shaking in their boots.  This is incredible.

Boutique exotic manufacturers ( Bugatti, Ferrari, Pagani, Lambo, Singer etc) sell every single car they make..and usually have waiting lists. Also, these buyers largely enjoy ICE engines and the glorious sounds they make...which is very much part of the exotic/supercar experience. I don't care how fast it is...it's only half a car without a howling engine. Watch a Formula E race for 5 minutes..if you can stay awake that long. It's the future for sure...but isn't nearly as exciting.

The exotic manufacturers don't give 2 shits about Tesla.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:15:03 am by rrocket »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 01:26:39 am »

Boutique exotic manufacturers ( Bugatti, Ferrari, Pagani, Lambo, Singer etc) sell every single car they make..and usually have waiting lists. Also, these buyers largely enjoy ICE engines and the glorious sounds they make...which is very much part of the exotic/supercar experience. I don't care how fast it is...it's only half a car without a howling engine. Watch a Formula E race for 5 minutes..if you can stay awake that long.

They exotic manufacturers don't give 2 shits about Tesla.

You are being entirely myopic.  Government regulations (and taxes on fuel, carbon) are going to put a damper on the party and high performance EVs are going to rise from the ashes.
Give me a break. You're somewhat clueless about this. These manufacturers cater to the uber rich. It doesn't matter how much is taxed, how much fuel costs, however many millions the cars cost...these cars will still be sold out every year. I mean..FFS..these guys own jets, powerboats and multiple exotics. They can own any vehicle they want, regardless of price.

Even if ICE cars are "banned", boutique manufacturers will still have an exemption to build their cars. And even more people will queue up to buy them because owning one of these "banned" cars will be even MORE of a status symbol.

Seriously...they could give a flying :censor: about Tesla.. And unlike Tesla, they actually make money selling their cars.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 10:12:04 am »
RR:
I don't care how fast it is...it's only half a car without a howling engine.
And here I thought a supercar is superior at everything, speed and power being on top of the list...  ;)
Model S has destroyed sales of traditional high power luxury cars, The 2.0 Roadster will murder the supercar sales. Maybe not all, but around half for sure.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 10:56:20 am »
RR:
And here I thought a supercar is superior at everything, speed and power being on top of the list...  ;)
Model S has destroyed sales of traditional high power luxury cars, The 2.0 Roadster will murder the supercar sales. Maybe not all, but around half for sure.
It won't murder sales. At all. Because exotics already can't meet demand. Typical exotics are already sold before production with waiting lists.

If anything, these big shooters will add a Tesla to their stable of exotics.

And the Tesla will be a different type of supercar. It'll likely weigh 4,500 lbs.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 11:09:16 am »

Boutique exotic manufacturers ( Bugatti, Ferrari, Pagani, Lambo, Singer etc) sell every single car they make..and usually have waiting lists. Also, these buyers largely enjoy ICE engines and the glorious sounds they make...which is very much part of the exotic/supercar experience. I don't care how fast it is...it's only half a car without a howling engine. Watch a Formula E race for 5 minutes..if you can stay awake that long.

You are being entirely myopic.  Government regulations (and taxes on fuel, carbon) are going to put a damper on the party and high performance EVs are going to rise from the ashes.
Give me a break. You're somewhat clueless about this. These manufacturers cater to the uber rich. It doesn't matter how much is taxed, how much fuel costs, however many millions the cars cost...these cars will still be sold out every year. I mean..FFS..these guys own jets, powerboats and multiple exotics. They can own any vehicle they want, regardless of price.

Even if ICE cars are "banned", boutique manufacturers will still have an exemption to build their cars. And even more people will queue up to buy them because owning one of these "banned" cars will be even MORE of a status symbol.

Seriously...they could give a flying :censor: about Tesla.. And unlike Tesla, they actually make money selling their cars.

It's nice to think that somehow the world actually operates according to the Wolf of Wallstreet but reread my post again.  You aren't going to get past government regulation no matter how skewed your perception of economics really is.  It goes beyond taxes.  The EV train is coming and these uber performance manufacturers are going to have to adapt to that tech or eventually wither away.

I suppose it depends what your timeline is......

But for boutique exotics, the ICE isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I'd agree that some of the larger manufacturers will have an EV/hybrid sports car as an additional model (like Porsche is doing). I could even see an EV 911 sold beside the ICE car...but not as a replacement anytime soon.

What's your timeline?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 11:31:37 am »
RR:
It won't murder sales. At all. Because exotics already can't meet demand. Typical exotics are already sold before production with waiting lists.

And the Tesla will be a different type of supercar. It'll likely weigh 4,500 lbs.

So it is super in the weight department too  :P

There is a good deal of marketing applied to those waiting lists. If they say "we're gonna make 20 Koeniggsegs, so don't be late" then of course all 20 will be spoken for by those camel fackers. My point is when Roadster gets up to full volume production, the waiting lists will turn into "come back, we want your trade-in" lists.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 11:45:26 am »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 12:35:35 pm »
With more thought, I think the new Roadster is actually the right product for Tesla, and I see it being successful.  It's a very small market with small production numbers - perfect for Tesla.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 01:07:27 pm »
Yes. He did decently well with the S and to a lesser degree with the X. Mass production does not seem to be his strenght.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 01:09:28 pm »

It's nice to think that somehow the world actually operates according to the Wolf of Wallstreet but reread my post again.  You aren't going to get past government regulation no matter how skewed your perception of economics really is.  It goes beyond taxes.  The EV train is coming and these uber performance manufacturers are going to have to adapt to that tech or eventually wither away.

I'd agree that some of the larger manufacturers will have an EV/hybrid sports car as an additional model (like Porsche is doing). I could even see an EV 911 sold beside the ICE car...but not as a replacement anytime soon.

What's your timeline?

5.264 years.

On a serious note, definitely within 10 years.
So you're saying ICE cars will be banned in the US in 10 years?

Not a chance IMO.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2017, 01:10:43 pm »
RR:

Rumour has it at 3400 lbs.  Which would account for the 0-160km time of....4.2 seconds.
I read the battery pack alone will weigh 1800 lbs...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 01:11:57 pm »
Yes. He did decently well with the S and to a lesser degree with the X. Mass production does not seem to be his strenght.
But then this car is carbon fiber.

Another very costly, difficult manufacturing skill to master.

He can't even weld a Model 3..

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2017, 10:19:32 pm »

What's your timeline?

5.264 years.

On a serious note, definitely within 10 years.
So you're saying ICE cars will be banned in the US in 10 years?

Not a chance IMO.

I am saying that they will be unprofitable to produce with the stringent regulations.  Banned?  No.  Marketable?  No.
As long as they can be bought, the uber rich will buy them. And they will continue to be sold...

And to keep them profitable in the face of taxation/regulation, the price will merely be raised...rich people care zero about price. It doesn't even factor into it. It's the reason they pay millions for cars and/or own multiple exotics. They only sell 2k cars per year in the US..which contributes to the waiting list. Other manufacturers sell even less in the US.

Fwiw, as long as these exotic companies sell fewer than 10k cars worldwide, they are exempt from US fuel economy regulations as the law is currently written.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:55:18 pm by rrocket »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2017, 10:22:12 pm »
If this was a Lexus you would be all over it!  LMAO
Not me...I like the sound of engines. It's why I loved the LFA...thrilling sound. EVs are the closest cars ever to sound like an appliance. For a commuter..probably not a big deal. In an exotic or even sports car? No thanks. A great sounding engine is part of the reason a large number of us like cars. It adds to the enjoyment. Now if it has electric motors along with an engine and it's used as a power adder?  I'm on board. But strictly EV? No thanks.

And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:32:27 pm by rrocket »

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 08:28:27 am »

Highly doubt that. The current Tesla products are capable of impressive straight-line acceleration and literally nothing else noteworthy from a performance perspective. They can't turn or brake as well as a comparably-sized gasoline-powered car due to excessive weight, and they heat soak and go into reduced power in very short order under abuse. They're one-trick performance ponies, which is cool if that's what you're into.

At current battery power density, the proposed roadster's battery back alone would weigh > 2,200 lb, much less all the other bits you need to make it a car. So yes - fast in a straight line, but likely to be pretty questionable elsewhere.

Of course, that's if it ever moves beyond the realm of vapourware.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.