Author Topic: New Porsche Macan or Used Porsche Cayenne – What’s the Better Buy?  (Read 595 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
With a hypothetical budget of $80,000, we break down which of these SUVs makes sense and why.
Read more...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
This is dumb. Two different classes.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)

But what if you look at the zillions of drivers of premium SUVs driving around the Toronto area every day with one person inside and no actual need for an SUV of any sort, let alone one that's bigger than the other?  If your budget enables an $80k SUV and you want the Porsche badge, why not consider a new vs. used scenario?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S

You don't think it's possible that buyers would consider both? I certainly would.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
No. The Cayenne can fit four adults and their golf clubs. The Macan is a lifted hot hatch and is tiny inside.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
No. The Cayenne can fit four adults and their golf clubs. The Macan is a lifted hot hatch and is tiny inside.

I assure you, the Macan has ample space for a single occupant to commute to and from work and pick up the groceries, or for a pair of young professional urbanites to use to get away for a weekend at the cottage / country inn -- just as well as the Cayenne can.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
I'd argue that most Macan drivers would prefer the Cayenne but their budget prevented them from getting it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
I'd argue that most Macan drivers would prefer the Cayenne but their budget prevented them from getting it.
During my tests, the smaller size of the Macan was the selling point. YMMV.

Cayenne feels large.

Macan feels hot hatch.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
That's why I said "most"

As mentioned in an earlier thread, 60% of Macans are the base model, so price is a factor.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile

Cayenne feels large.

Macan feels hot hatch.

Exactly. I can't see serious buyers cross shopping these. What's next a buyer looking at a Bronco Sport and a 3/4 Transit?  :rofl2:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: New Porsche Macan or Used Porsche Cayenne – What’s the Better Buy?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 01:57:06 pm »

Cayenne feels large.

Macan feels hot hatch.

Exactly. I can't see serious buyers cross shopping these. What's next a buyer looking at a Bronco Sport and a 3/4 Transit?  :rofl2:

I have friends who are on their second Macan and they cross shopped the Cayenne.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2024, 02:24:52 pm »
There's a 20 cm difference in length, and an 8 cm difference in width, between the Macan and the Cayenne.

That's not much.

If people aren't cross shopping them I still contend it's mostly on price. Especially those that are after the Porsche badge.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 02:58:03 pm »
There's a 20 cm difference in length, and an 8 cm difference in width, between the Macan and the Cayenne.

That's not much.

If people aren't cross shopping them I still contend it's mostly on price. Especially those that are after the Porsche badge.

Still two different classes.

- People fit in the rear seat of the Cayenne.

- About 425lb curb weight difference.

- Cayenne can tow up to 7700lbs.

So if people choose the Macan they didn't need the next size up SUV in the first place. One is a hot hatch and the other is a form fitted mid size SUV.

It's a correct observation that most buyers are just clueless DBs looking at the badge.  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 03:20:30 pm »

That's not much.

Still two different classes.

- People fit in the rear seat of the Cayenne.

- About 425lb curb weight difference.

- Cayenne can tow up to 7700lbs.

So if people choose the Macan they didn't need the next size up SUV in the first place. One is a hot hatch and the other is a form fitted mid size SUV.

It's a correct observation that most buyers are just clueless DBs looking at the badge.  ;D

No one is shopping for Porsches based on need anyways.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 04:40:06 pm »
true.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2024, 04:57:57 pm »
I tend to think people might cross shop these two more than people might think.  Some people might be considering downsizing to a Macan size but still have the Cayenne as an option if they can’t make that size work.

I tend to think that towing capacity is not a huge selling point as I don’t think I’ve ever seen either towing anything.  Price is certainly a factor, and likely the main reason why these two weren’t crossed shopped a lot, but with the new EV version it’ll likely happen a bit more.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2024, 01:02:38 am »
Well if you're already in the Porsche dealership looking at an SUV, why not?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2024, 01:18:08 am »
They did stretch the new Macan.

I went dirtbiking last week with a guy who uses a ZL1 Camaro as a tow rig  ;D. His previous tow vehicle was a Cayenne

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2024, 01:54:34 am »
They did stretch the new Macan.

I went dirtbiking last week with a guy who uses a ZL1 Camaro as a tow rig  ;D. His previous tow vehicle was a Cayenne

Sweet.  What does he tow?  1500lbs or so?  Plenty of power to tow, but I'd imagine the rear suspension handling tongue weight is the limiting factor.  Couple of dirtbikes shouldn't be an issue, though...

Online Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2024, 08:41:01 am »
Based on the number of posts/discussions/questions on Macan & Porsche forums I'd say these are cross shopped regularly.  Price definitely leads a lot to the base Macan because they want into the brand and the Cayenne would be out of reach, but there's also a significant number that could get either and are unsure which suits them better.  Of course forums skew to the enthusiasts, but I'm always amazed at the number of 911 owners that are comparing the two for their daily driver.