Author Topic: 2024 Porsche Macan First Drive Review  (Read 913 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 Porsche Macan First Drive Review
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2024, 04:42:01 pm »
Surely there's more to this than straight line speed. With the low CoG and the trick suspension it's also going to be a great handler.
I keep hearing that, but that's not usually reality because of the (usual) increased weight. Which, as you know, is detrimental to braking and handling.

I believe the new lightest Macan is around 400kg heavier than the lightest ICE model. And there's no hiding that.

To sum up:

-It's heavier (which means braking and handling likely compromised to some degree)
-It's more expensive
-It's more complex
-It has less character
-There's significant compromises to ownership (must be homeowner, charging infrastructure, range)
-But it's fast.

What am I supposed to be excited about, again? Zzz zzz.

If this were an ICE we'd be (mostly) calling it a failure because it doesn't improve significantly on much from the previous model and goes the other way in too many other areas.  But because it's an EV? It gets a pass.

Auto journos have a bit of a double standard when reviewing EVs IMO.

It IS heavier, but there IS hiding that.  Bigger, grippier tires, better suspension tune.  Bigger, stronger brakes.  All that adds to the weight, yes, but the net result is incredibly capable car, not just in straight line -- which is seriously thrilling -- but in the way it tackled tight, twisty roads, too.

Yes, it's expensive -- but everything is more expensive, and that doesn't really affect the 'feel' of a car though does it?

It doesn't improve much on the previous generation (ICE) version?  Umm... except in performance, tech, features, comfort, and for those who do have a charger at home, convenience.  Why spend hours every year freezing one's ass off at gas pumps when you can walk out to a fully-charged (and climate pre-conditioned) car every morning? It's also very likely the new zappy Macan will prove to be more reliable in the long run too. 

Also, please elaborate on that double-standard, would ya?

I fully get that EVs are NOT the answer for everyone -- or even for a lot of folks.  That's fine.  I don't support them being forced down consumers' throats by the governments either. But I appreciate that they have a place now, and will continue to for a long time. My desire to drive an excellent EV like this Macan, or a Taycan, or an i4 as a wonderful daily driver in no way makes me appreciate, say, an old air-cooled 911, any less.

A bone-stock SUV that can rip off a 0-60 time in less than 3 seconds (or an estimated 1/4 mi in the low 11s), while also being able to scramble around on dirt trails, or tow a 2000 lb trailer, and cart the family around is a pretty awesome feat. That it handles like a proper Porsche too is the icing on the cake.

Do I wish it wasn't $120k for a "Turbo"? Sure, but I also wish a new Cayman with the 4L wasn't a six figure car, too, but Porsche apparently gets away with it.

There is NO hiding the weight. I can certainly feel an extra 400 kilos in a car (or 25lbs on a bike.) Your bum will vary of course!

As you mention, the effects of this can be mitigated by throwing parts at it. But that can lead to higher cost, running costs, complexity, etc as I previously pointed out.

There's no doubt this vehicle is capable (it's a Porsche!) as are other EVs. And for sure they have their place. After all, I drive a PHEV.

But for certain marques (or individual vehicles), I expect much more than "capable". That's a very, very low bar. My Prius is "capable". When I look to Porsche, I seek more than capable. I seek more than that. Character, personality, etc and other intangibles. And I know you know what I'm talking about.   There's a reason your last 3 fun/summer cars have been loaded with these traits (Z3, Boxster, MR2).

I find you to be a very good reviewer, so my comment about "double standard" doesn't apply to you. There has been but a mere handful of times (if that?) in the decades I've known you where I reached out to you for clarification on something you said. So this doesn't apply to you. I see it was clumsy to put that statement at the end of my post without a qualifier. Sorry dude!!

But yes, I feel MANY reviewers of EVs don't use the same rigor as they do when reviewing an ICE.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 04:46:37 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2024, 04:45:33 pm »
Really depends on the use case, no?
Yes. But that also depends on the use case for an ICE as well, no?

But on average, I'd say unless you exclusively charge at home only ever at night...that you will be waiting more than 4 hours a year for charging if done when you're out and about.

It happens to pretty much every EV driver...where circumstances require them to hit charge stations several times a year..even if diligent about charging.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2024, 10:21:32 am »
"Yes, it's expensive -- but everything is more expensive"

The Macan has been increasing in price $5k-7k every year for the past 3 or 4, that amount can be chalked up to "everything is more expensive", but I don't think you can stretch that statement to include a $40-60k increase!  I absolutely love my GTS and just try not to think about what it cost, but not a chance in hell would I even think of looking at one that's essentially pushing $200k out the door, and that's without even considering the whole EV/ICE debate.  ~60% of Macan buyers get the base model, how many of those are now going to pay what used to be GTS money?

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2024, 10:33:28 am »
Surely there's more to this than straight line speed. With the low CoG and the trick suspension it's also going to be a great handler.
I keep hearing that, but that's not usually reality because of the (usual) increased weight. Which, as you know, is detrimental to braking and handling.

I believe the new lightest Macan is around 400kg heavier than the lightest ICE model. And there's no hiding that.

To sum up:

-It's heavier (which means braking and handling likely compromised to some degree)
-It's more expensive
-It's more complex
-It has less character
-There's significant compromises to ownership (must be homeowner, charging infrastructure, range)
-But it's fast.

What am I supposed to be excited about, again? Zzz zzz.

If this were an ICE we'd be (mostly) calling it a failure because it doesn't improve significantly on much from the previous model and goes the other way in too many other areas.  But because it's an EV? It gets a pass.

Auto journos have a bit of a double standard when reviewing EVs IMO.

It IS heavier, but there IS hiding that.  Bigger, grippier tires, better suspension tune.  Bigger, stronger brakes.  All that adds to the weight, yes, but the net result is incredibly capable car, not just in straight line -- which is seriously thrilling -- but in the way it tackled tight, twisty roads, too.

Yes, it's expensive -- but everything is more expensive, and that doesn't really affect the 'feel' of a car though does it?

It doesn't improve much on the previous generation (ICE) version?  Umm... except in performance, tech, features, comfort, and for those who do have a charger at home, convenience.  Why spend hours every year freezing one's ass off at gas pumps when you can walk out to a fully-charged (and climate pre-conditioned) car every morning? It's also very likely the new zappy Macan will prove to be more reliable in the long run too. 

Also, please elaborate on that double-standard, would ya?

I fully get that EVs are NOT the answer for everyone -- or even for a lot of folks.  That's fine.  I don't support them being forced down consumers' throats by the governments either. But I appreciate that they have a place now, and will continue to for a long time. My desire to drive an excellent EV like this Macan, or a Taycan, or an i4 as a wonderful daily driver in no way makes me appreciate, say, an old air-cooled 911, any less.

A bone-stock SUV that can rip off a 0-60 time in less than 3 seconds (or an estimated 1/4 mi in the low 11s), while also being able to scramble around on dirt trails, or tow a 2000 lb trailer, and cart the family around is a pretty awesome feat. That it handles like a proper Porsche too is the icing on the cake.

Do I wish it wasn't $120k for a "Turbo"? Sure, but I also wish a new Cayman with the 4L wasn't a six figure car, too, but Porsche apparently gets away with it.

There is NO hiding the weight. I can certainly feel an extra 400 kilos in a car (or 25lbs on a bike.) Your bum will vary of course!

As you mention, the effects of this can be mitigated by throwing parts at it. But that can lead to higher cost, running costs, complexity, etc as I previously pointed out.

There's no doubt this vehicle is capable (it's a Porsche!) as are other EVs. And for sure they have their place. After all, I drive a PHEV.

But for certain marques (or individual vehicles), I expect much more than "capable". That's a very, very low bar. My Prius is "capable". When I look to Porsche, I seek more than capable. I seek more than that. Character, personality, etc and other intangibles. And I know you know what I'm talking about.   There's a reason your last 3 fun/summer cars have been loaded with these traits (Z3, Boxster, MR2).

I find you to be a very good reviewer, so my comment about "double standard" doesn't apply to you. There has been but a mere handful of times (if that?) in the decades I've known you where I reached out to you for clarification on something you said. So this doesn't apply to you. I see it was clumsy to put that statement at the end of my post without a qualifier. Sorry dude!!

But yes, I feel MANY reviewers of EVs don't use the same rigor as they do when reviewing an ICE.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there's a place for the ICE cars and a place for well-executed EVs, regardless of who makes them. If Porsche keeps making cars that give all the sounds and 'feels' AND makes incredible feats of engineering like the Macan EV, it's a win-win. Were I a wealthy person, I'd love to have the Macan EV as a daily with other more 'mechanical' toys in the garage for the times when the mood suits. 

I wasn't upset by the 'double standard' comment -- just looking for clarification. We've been friends a lonnnnnng time, buddy, and more times than not our tastes align automotively. You're entitled to your opinion on the Macan EV, no matter how wrong it may be.   ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla