Author Topic: Inside Story: 2011 Toyota Camry LE  (Read 40781 times)

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
Re: Inside Story: 2011 Toyota Camry LE
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 09:46:29 am »
I like the review as well.  Micheal Clark has a radio program here in Winnipeg.  He's not biased or anti Toyota at all.

So someone doesn't like interior of the Camry.  Big deal.  Toyota won't sell any less of them and only a OCD would loose sleep over it.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 10:00:12 am »
I assume reviewing automobiles at CanadianDriver is a hobby?  Not a professional endeavor?

Heated front seats don’t occur in four-cylinder territory until the XLE trim level

Heated front seats available in a 4 cylinder SE.   :nono:

It was really great to here about the cup holders, the sun glass holder, etc., but how did the powertrain perform  ???  Not one word about tranny shifting, and braking.  Just some  smart *ss remark about the steering and handling being like a 65 Chrysler.  Dude you have never driven in a 65 Chrysler.

Camry still rules and for a reason.  The unit runs forever without headaches and they are large and it's primarily the inside space and the trunk that seals the deal.
Sure, you can get a 2.5 Altima S with the Luxury Package (option code)CSOO for $27498. minus $2K non stackable cash incentive which kicks *ss in the goodies department/price, BUT, like the Malibu, Fusion, Sonata; it lacks the room that many buyers seek.  I sell them both so I see who buys what and for what reason.

Unless your in the business of dealing cars auto "journalists" have a one dimensional view of the product.  They only consider the front end.  When I get 5 year old/125k km Fusions, Chevys, Altimas, Sontas in on trade these cars are DONE.  They are at the point of diminishing returns.  The Camry and the Accord at this point are not even half way done.  If all the trade ins were Camrys and Accords, life would be sweet.  :)

When I get 5 year old/125k km Fusions, Chevys, Altimas, Sontas in on trade these cars are DONE.

What a load of crap, typical car salesman crap.  Car salesman, lawyers, and politicians....all made of the same fabric

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 10:15:08 am »
This forum sure has a hate on for the Camry.  Never really understood why.  It's still a competitive entry in the segment even though it is now very long in the tooth and mostly competing against vehicles more recently introduced.  I wouldn't rate it number one, but it's not a bottom feeder either.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 10:24:28 am »
This forum sure has a hate on for the Camry.  Never really understood why.  It's still a competitive entry in the segment even though it is now very long in the tooth and mostly competing against vehicles more recently introduced.  I wouldn't rate it number one, but it's not a bottom feeder either.

Jaeger
Not me. No hate here or even dislike.  I see a place for Camry-like cars and think they are a good thing...compared to what the bland mid range everyman sedans used to be like.
I wouldn't buy one for myself but I know/have known many people who just loved them.

I am sure when Toyota's current troubles are over that their engineers will look at the newer sedans in that category and leap ahead of them with their next offering.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 12:25:33 pm »
While the Camry is far from crap... it has been almost totally surpassed in the market.  There are other cars that are just as reliable now and are far more stylish.  And now it seems that there are other makers that make cars that are also better assembled. Amazing what a few years has done to Toyota's reputation... maybe it's because I've become quite soured myself.

Are you referring to your  '09 Corolla ? What's your experience been like with that car?
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 12:29:53 pm »
Unless your in the business of dealing cars auto "journalists" have a one dimensional view of the product.  They only consider the front end.  When I get 5 year old/125k km Fusions, Chevys, Altimas, Sontas in on trade these cars are DONE.  They are at the point of diminishing returns.  The Camry and the Accord at this point are not even half way done.  If all the trade ins were Camrys and Accords, life would be sweet.  :)

seeing those links in the review to the 'questionable trim pieces that pull off with the most meager of tugs, and interior trim panels that appear to be trimmed with an X-Acto knife for fitment' sort of make even a die hard artic, such as myself, wonder just how a 5 year old/125 km 2011 Camry will look like? I like to WATCH hoarders on TV, not OWN a vehicle filled with its own interior bits.

AS do you have any pics of those 'DONE' vehicles? Can't be much worse than this '2011' Camry LOL
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

CatsEye68

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 12:39:02 pm »
When I get 5 year old/125k km Fusions, Chevys, Altimas, Sontas in on trade these cars are DONE. 

The artics are so apoplectic with rage that they fail to note that the first Fusion model was a 2006. Don't think they are getting too many 2005 Fusions on trade for anything.

gpx

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 01:30:05 pm »
Wow this thread is all over the place. I recently rented a brand new Camry LE with the same equipment down in Florida. I can tell you that it is a quiet smooth vehicle but that is about it. It is fairly boring really and the handling is way too soft. Nothing really wrong with it but you certainly can do much better if you are looking for more of a drivers car. It makes a great rental car though.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 01:44:53 pm »
So I see CanadianDriver has jumped on the "hate Toyota" bandwagon that is so popular in the media these days.

I find it strange that the SAME journalist years ago gave the Camry a great verdict. There was an inside story article about a 2007 Camry LE done years ago.

So Mr. Clark, I am curious as to why there is a complete night-and-day difference between the two inside story articles? Sure the Camry received some minor updates in 2010, but the interior has remained almost identical, and the mechanical components are all the same save for updated transmissions and 4 cylinder engines.

I find strange Mr. Clark that many of your complaints about this particular 2011 Camry you looked at did not appear in the article about the 2007 Camry you looked at.

Yes, perhaps the Camry has become less competitive, but the current model has been out for roughly 4 years. I would be shocked if the Camry over these 4 years had remained as competitive as it was when the current model debuted years ago. A redesigned Camry will be debuting soon. Cars like the Ford Fusion and Hyundai Sonata are both pretty new designs. We'll see how the Sonata and Fusion stack up to the redesigned 2012 Camry.

So you agree ??! The Camry was competitive after the 2007 redesign and now not so much. You both seem to agree that it's time for an update. I don't get this post

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 02:04:10 pm »
..don't be such a bogart..share man share................. ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 03:19:57 pm »
Wow this thread is all over the place. I recently rented a brand new Camry LE with the same equipment down in Florida. I can tell you that it is a quiet smooth vehicle but that is about it. It is fairly boring really and the handling is way too soft. Nothing really wrong with it but you certainly can do much better if you are looking for more of a drivers car. It makes a great rental car though.

Um... no kidding.  If you're looking for a driver's car, the Camry probably isn't even on your list.  What we tend to lose sight of on these forums is that the vast majority of buyers aren't looking for a "driver's car".  Witness the rapid demise of the manual transmission.  Most buyers - even those of traditionally performance-based brands - don't want the car they drive to the golf course to demand any more driver input from them than the golf cart they drive when they get there.

If your car was a rental it probaby wasn't an SE.  While not turning the Camry into a sports sedan, the SE model firms things up nicely and is a VAST improvement over the marshmallow handling of the other Camry models.  And make no mistake - when equipped with the V6, the Camry is quick.

Jaeger

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 04:03:28 pm »

Um... no kidding.  If you're looking for a driver's car, the Camry probably isn't even on your list.  What we tend to lose sight of on these forums is that the vast majority of buyers aren't looking for a "driver's car".  Witness the rapid demise of the manual transmission.  Most buyers - even those of traditionally performance-based brands - don't want the car they drive to the golf course to demand any more driver input from them than the golf cart they drive when they get there.

If your car was a rental it probaby wasn't an SE.  While not turning the Camry into a sports sedan, the SE model firms things up nicely and is a VAST improvement over the marshmallow handling of the other Camry models.  And make no mistake - when equipped with the V6, the Camry is quick.Jaeger

It's got a repuation to live up to after all!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 05:26:58 pm »
While the Camry is far from crap... it has been almost totally surpassed in the market.  There are other cars that are just as reliable now and are far more stylish.  And now it seems that there are other makers that make cars that are also better assembled. Amazing what a few years has done to Toyota's reputation... maybe it's because I've become quite soured myself.

Are you referring to your  '09 Corolla ? What's your experience been like with that car?
I probably set myself up for disappointment because I have to admit that I partially bought into the Toyota was building more reliable cars argument.  I chose the Corolla XRS because I was looking to fit a bunch of requirements ranging from price, practicality and at the same time trying to find something that was a little sporty without overdoing it.

Here are my issues with my Corolla.  Reliability wise I've been to the dealership to fix quite a few more problems than I was hoping to.  Major rattle in the C pillars that I got fixed.  Minor rattles in the headliner, right front door and left back door and somewhere in the HVAC system (but only when it's minus 5 or below). Major rattle in the rear window (window was completely replaced).  Having some issues with the transmission hanging or hunting for gears on basic flat roads where it shouldn't have a problem (I can watch the RPM needle do a little jump when it does this).

Overall the car accelerates very well (162ft/lb of torque is fun), it's relatively quiet from outside noises (although the engine and the tires make a fair bit of noise), but every day I like the suspension less and less.  It's fine for smooth highways but its jittery and jarring on rough surfaces.

They could have done a better job on some of the interior bits and pieces that are rubbing together and I think they should have done a better job on the suspension tuning.  It's a bit sporty on the XRS but it's not well composed.  It's ok... it's still a car and it gets me around :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 11:33:20 pm »
They could have done a better job on some of the interior bits and pieces that are rubbing together and I think they should have done a better job on the suspension tuning.  It's a bit sporty on the XRS but it's not well composed.  It's ok... it's still a car and it gets me aroun

ICE

The Corolla has always been somewhat of a rattle box.  PPL bought them because of the mechanical reliability, not the handling, not the ride, certainly not the interior.  But these cars don't break and to most buyers this is their number one objective. 

The American market determines what we Canadians get.  When we first learned that Toyota was gonna stick the 2.4 into the Corolla, to a man, we thought what a stupid move.  The motor is two large for the car and accommodations for the extra weight are scant.  It's also hard to service.  But they give you X product and you sell it or you go broke and then spend your days finding cardboard boxes to live in.

The good news is that you won't get killed trading it on any brand.  You could have bought a Pursuit or a G5 where arson would be the only way out.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 11:48:25 pm »

The artics are so apoplectic with rage that they fail to note that the first Fusion model was a 2006. Don't think they are getting too many 2005 Fusions on trade for anything.

Well a 2006 unit would be on the road for 5 years more or less.  Doesn't really matter if it was a Fusion/Taurus/Focus/Windstar/Ford F150 with the spark plug issue/ those vehicles with 125k km make horrible used car buys.  They are just rolling repair black holes.  Same goes for most of entire GM lineup.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 12:02:49 am »
I assume reviewing automobiles at CanadianDriver is a hobby?  Not a professional endeavor?

Heated front seats don’t occur in four-cylinder territory until the XLE trim level

Heated front seats available in a 4 cylinder SE.   :nono:

It was really great to here about the cup holders, the sun glass holder, etc., but how did the powertrain perform  ???  Not one word about tranny shifting, and braking.  Just some  smart *ss remark about the steering and handling being like a 65 Chrysler.  Dude you have never driven in a 65 Chrysler.

Camry still rules and for a reason.  The unit runs forever without headaches and they are large and it's primarily the inside space and the trunk that seals the deal.
Sure, you can get a 2.5 Altima S with the Luxury Package (option code)CSOO for $27498. minus $2K non stackable cash incentive which kicks *ss in the goodies department/price, BUT, like the Malibu, Fusion, Sonata; it lacks the room that many buyers seek.  I sell them both so I see who buys what and for what reason.

What a load of crap, typical car salesman crap.  Car salesman, lawyers, and politicians....all made of the same fabric

You tell me all about your car dealer experience.  :)  Recently, my auto group has acquired two Nissan stores.  After talking with the service managers and mechanics you get a pretty good idea of what was crap, what's not anymore and what still is.  Toyota has got it all over Nissan, but there are 3 bright spots; Altima, Rogue, Versa.  I think the gamble with the CVT has paid off.  Customers seem to like it alot.  I've also warmed up to it where 6 months ago I thought it a bad choice. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 12:09:27 am »
The artics have reacted so badly to this piece that they failed to notice that this was an "Inside story" article and not a road test.

Well all I see is this Camry, acquired from whomever, sitting in some person's driveway with the doors open and the hood up.  I made the assumption that the reviewer drove the car to this location vis-a-vis his comments about a 65 Chrysler.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 12:15:23 am »
Yea, the Camry sucks so much, that it just won the MidSize/Family Sedan Shootout in Motor Trend.  Besting the new Sonata and "Car of The Year" Ford Fusion.   ;)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 12:16:50 am »
Yea, the Camry sucks so much, that it just won the MidSize/Family Sedan Shootout in Motor Trend.  Besting the new Sonata and "Car of The Year" Ford Fusion.   ;)

I was waiting for you to show up here.
You are getting slow. :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2010, 12:26:44 am »
I like the review as well.  Micheal Clark has a radio program here in Winnipeg.  He's not biased or anti Toyota at all.

So someone doesn't like interior of the Camry.  Big deal.  Toyota won't sell any less of them and only a OCD would loose sleep over it.

He's not biased or anti Toyota at all.

:rofl2:  The 2007 Camry, which hit the market late April 2006, I should know I got the first 4 banger SE with leather in RED that entered Canada was loaded with interior problems.  There was a "dash kit" specifically designed for it a year later because the noise was so bad below 0C.   If he's a serious journalist it wouldn't have been hard to find that out.   That's what journalists do.  :P   The 2010/2011 is vastly improved upon over the early version, but apparently Mr. Clark praised the early version and denounces the latest version.   ::) :P

Micheal Clark has a radio program here in Winnipeg.

Well now that explains it.  Showmanship in lieu of journalism.  Ratings v. substance.  I'm a car expert; I have a radio show in the Peg.  :-\