Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068044 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #4860 on: March 28, 2018, 12:05:00 am »
There are “No E-bike. No pedal assist” signs on a lot of the mtb trails down here now.

Haven’t seen any signs at home yet, but I imagine it will happen soon enough. Pretty sure they’re illegal on most trails already, but I imagine you could play dumb and get away with it.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: March 28, 2018, 12:10:04 am »
There are “No E-bike. No pedal assist” signs on a lot of the mtb trails down here now.

Haven’t seen any signs at home yet, but I imagine it will happen soon enough. Pretty sure they’re illegal on most trails already, but I imagine you could play dumb and get away with it.

Why?

Is this bike snobbery?

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: March 28, 2018, 12:28:54 pm »
^^ Might be a bit of snobbery, but I think it’s mostly just a legal/land use issue. The trails are on public land and were always listed as “No motorized access”

E-bikes have a motor, so there you go. Probably easier just to keep the ban rather than come up with exceptions for electric motors and whatnot. There are full-on dirt bikes with electric motors now too, so should they be allowed on the mtb trails as well?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4863 on: March 28, 2018, 06:48:18 pm »
Personally I think any e-assist bike with no throttle and capped at 32 kph should be allowed on any trail/path that a bicycle can go on.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #4864 on: March 28, 2018, 08:26:41 pm »
Personally I think any e-assist bike with no throttle and capped at 32 kph should be allowed on any trail/path that a bicycle can go on.

Sure, anybody fit can actually go faster on a regular bike.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: April 06, 2018, 04:49:46 pm »
Reading through my Strava feed. Envious of my friends that are south and riding vs me hibernating.  Then saw this one...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/16051788/posts/1743128

FACK.

Last year had another friend hit and he still has some nerve damage from the accident. Makes my accident seem like nothing.  I do wonder what ever happen to the lady that hit us. Never heard anything.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: April 06, 2018, 08:07:48 pm »
^^ Ouch.  :(

My wife crashed two days ago. She was ripping down the trail at a good pace (GPS said 24 km/h) and clipped her handlebar on a tree. She was knocked flat on the ground before she knew what happened.

At first she thought it was just a bruised rib, but now thinks it might be more serious. She tried riding again today, but turned back after just a couple klicks. Was just too painful, apparently.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4867 on: April 21, 2018, 02:38:30 pm »
I gave in an picked up a road bike today- a Lapierre Audacio 300. Missed being on two wheels (motorised or no) after 2 months, and I need a way to enjoy the summer weather.

Wow these things are so light. I find myself whizzing along the canals at the same speed as cars driving on the road next to me.

ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: April 21, 2018, 04:50:21 pm »
I gave in an picked up a road bike today- a Lapierre Audacio 300. Missed being on two wheels (motorised or no) after 2 months, and I need a way to enjoy the summer weather.

Wow these things are so light. I find myself whizzing along the canals at the same speed as cars driving on the road next to me.

Congrats and nice bike. I like their bikes and missed out on a great deal on one when I was living in Toronto. 

Not trying to sound like a jerk here but light for a bike but heavy for a road bike. Imagine having one around 7 kg! Of course your wallet becomes equally as light to get to that weight.

Enjoy riding and now you can join Strava. Just remember to look both ways before blowing the stop signs as you race for the KOM on those segments.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: April 23, 2018, 08:35:39 am »

Congrats and nice bike. I like their bikes and missed out on a great deal on one when I was living in Toronto. 

Not trying to sound like a jerk here but light for a bike but heavy for a road bike. Imagine having one around 7 kg! Of course your wallet becomes equally as light to get to that weight.

Enjoy riding and now you can join Strava. Just remember to look both ways before blowing the stop signs as you race for the KOM on those segments.
My DH bike is 17kg in comparison and I know most all-mountain and Enduro mountain bikes are in the 13kg range.

I know I could have gone further up the price range but I wanted something under 1000€. Lapierre I know as a reputable marque from the vtt world so I felt comfortable getting one of their road bikes even if it's not competition spec.

Looking forward to many many kms of riding in the countryside !

(Oh, and unofficially, bicycles are exempt from road rules in France  :P . Red light ? *looks both ways* Pedal through)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: May 20, 2018, 07:48:43 pm »
Went to a Rocky Mountain demo day this afternoon at one of the local trailheads. Friend of mine is a bit of a Rocky Mountain slappy, and wanted to go, so I figured what the heck.

Tried out a new Altitude: 6” travel trail bike, somewhat like my Specialized Enduro. It was a little small for me, but certainly workable. Took it out for around 45 minutes on trails I knew well, and generally had a good time. Felt more playful on the downhills (smaller, so more flickable) but really solid and stable. Climbing was okay, but definitely more work to keep the front end down than on my bike.

Anyway, returned it and got back on my bike to finish the ride. As nice as the Altitude was, I’m happy to say that my bike felt way better - even after 3+ seasons of riding.

A lot of it just comes down to fit and familiarity, I’m sure, but it’s still nice to be totally happy with my bike. No desire to upgrade/change, which is a good feeling.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: May 21, 2018, 03:46:47 am »
Went to a Rocky Mountain demo day this afternoon at one of the local trailheads. Friend of mine is a bit of a Rocky Mountain slappy, and wanted to go, so I figured what the heck.

A lot of it just comes down to fit and familiarity, I’m sure, but it’s still nice to be totally happy with my bike. No desire to upgrade/change, which is a good feeling.

Agreed. I still have my YT-Industries DH bike since 08/2013 and feel no need to upgrade despite the fact that in the DH realm, something new comes out every year. Or 6 months.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4872 on: May 21, 2018, 07:32:47 am »
Yeah, I feel the same about my bike.  It's not the raciest road bike on the planet, but it is super smooth, stable and comfortable.  SO many awesome new bikes have been rolled out in the few years since I got mine, but I've never been really tempted to get a new one.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: May 21, 2018, 09:47:01 am »

Tried out a new Altitude: 6” travel trail bike, somewhat like my Specialized Enduro. It was a little small for me, but certainly workable. Took it out for around 45 minutes on trails I knew well, and generally had a good time. Felt more playful on the downhills (smaller, so more flickable) but really solid and stable. Climbing was okay, but definitely more work to keep the front end down than on my bike.

Anyway, returned it and got back on my bike to finish the ride. As nice as the Altitude was, I’m happy to say that my bike felt way better - even after 3+ seasons of riding.

Great report. I've always wanted to do something like this but for road (obviously). Always a nice feeling when you walk away feeling nothing to improve on here. Sadly I'm sure I could easily get a better bike than I have now but the next step just costs too much money. AKA more than I have.

The guy in the club that just got the Trek SLR 8 Disc is loving it. Of course even if he wasn't what else do you say after dropping $10G on a bike.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #4874 on: May 24, 2018, 09:29:57 am »
Just mounted a wider (2.6") set of Bontrager XR4 Team Issue tires on the Troy. Because my wheels are narrow from the pre-boost era, they measure up to 2.4", but still a huge improvement over stock. Can't wait to see how they handle.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4875 on: May 26, 2018, 03:13:36 pm »
Put in 50kms this late afternoon. The last 7% gradient leaving the last town before my house SUCKS, that's all.

Also don't appreciate some of the aggressive German drivers that pass within half a metre on the country roads at 70 km/h +. It's like this country isn't really into the whole "road biking" thing.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #4876 on: May 27, 2018, 07:25:53 pm »
Sold the 29er I bought a few years back. I liked it but didn't love it. For some reason I much prefer the ancient Stumpjumper I've had for the past 11 years. Took the old girl in today for a complete mechanical do-over, it'll be ready for many more miles!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: May 28, 2018, 08:41:23 am »
Had some lady try to teach our group a lesson as she pulled right in front of us and brake checked to a full stop and parked her suv at a 45 degree angle. Sadly there wasn't enough time to avoid and half our group of 7 (thankfully it was a small group today) went into the back of the suv.  I was first so got my knuckles cut up but amazingly nobody (or bikes) were badly hurt. 

Just heard that the lady was convicted and has lost her license for one year. Yeah!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4878 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58:29 am »
Me, Southbound at an intersection stopped at a red light and attempting to make a right turn.
He, cyclist, Eastbound at the same intersection, in the left turn lane  trying to make a left turn to go Northbound. Eastbound traffic light turns red and cyclist does not attempt to turn. However, same cyclist decides to ride across crosswalk instead to go Northbound on the sidewalk in front of me still waiting to turn right to go Westbound. Cyclist puts up his right hand motioning me to stop and yield.
I've had this happen to me twice within the last year.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4879 on: May 28, 2018, 09:16:32 am »
Near me.

https://mihomeygk.com/cyclists-seriously-injured-in-collision

At roughly 3:30 p.m. on the afternoon of Sunday, May 27th, a collision occurred between a motor vehicle and a group of stationary cyclists on Bath Road near Jim Snow Road in Amherstview, Loyalist Township.

The collision resulted in injuries to a number of people, some of them critical. Bath Road will remain closed between County Road 6 and Jim Snow Road for several hours as Technical Collision Investigators conduct their on-scene investigation.
Mr Pickypants