Author Topic: 2013 Toronto Auto show  (Read 30270 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: 2013 Toronto Auto show
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 11:11:53 am »
Hey T  lets make a web site and review a few cars then we can get in with the auto press  ;D

Why not?  Everyone's doing it.  You've got endless spare time and a deep well of creativity, right?  Lord knows you're a cunning linguist. 
 :-*

I have high moral standard and can't compose BS just to get a press pass and fridge magnets  :)  ;) I tell it like it is and 99.99% of people don't like that.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:53 am »
Hey T  lets make a web site and review a few cars then we can get in with the auto press  ;D

Why not?  Everyone's doing it.  You've got endless spare time and a deep well of creativity, right?  Lord knows you're a cunning linguist. 

I have high moral standard and can't compose BS just to get a press pass and fridge magnets  :)  ;) I tell it like it is and 99.99% of people don't like that.
Is that 0.01% for the wife  ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 11:20:38 am »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 11:28:38 am »

Is that 0.01% for the wife  ;D

haha...she is worse than me  ;D She told a CFO last week he was full of sh!t now he wants to hire her because she has a spine. Looks like the FIFO days are over.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 11:37:27 am »

I think you'll find Jeff and I both tell it how it is.  I really liked the Altima apart from the low rent seats.  And the CVT is the XV Crosstrek isn't good at all, but the rest of the package is amazing value for money and very capable.  I don't give credit where it's not due.  I realise that when you put the Altima up against some of it's competitors it falls short a little, but I had such a good time with it that it convinced me to buy the auto 535i instead of the manual.

If you just say every car is great then no one will take you seriously.  I had a friend over from the UK between Christmas and new year, and we had an absolute riot in the Subaru! Not bad for $24K.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38:11 am »
The real show is at the NAIAS this weekend in Detroit. The Party is in the in high rollers suite at Caesars in Windsor. Me and T are just finalizing the liquor list for the bar  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:42:23 am by Snowman »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
2013 Toronto Auto show
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:23 am »
I find this thread confusing - between who's the cunning linguist and who has the higher moral standards between us!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 11:41:05 am »

I think you'll find Jeff and I both tell it how it is.  I really liked the Altima apart from the low rent seats.  And the CVT is the XV Crosstrek isn't good at all, but the rest of the package is amazing value for money and very capable.  I don't give credit where it's not due.  I realise that when you put the Altima up against some of it's competitors it falls short a little, but I had such a good time with it that it convinced me to buy the auto 535i instead of the manual.

If you just say every car is great then no one will take you seriously.  I had a friend over from the UK between Christmas and new year, and we had an absolute riot in the Subaru! Not bad for $24K.

+100% TTB, credibility is everything. Have you reviewed any GM or Chrysler products?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:20 pm »
FeKkah...back to the LCBO.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 12:40:38 pm »
Have a great time in Motown, guys!   :hello:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 01:25:13 pm »

+100% TTB, credibility is everything. Have you reviewed any GM or Chrysler products?

I have the ATS review to finish, and will be perfectly honest about that.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 01:27:43 pm »

Looking forward to that. Have you had an opportunity to test a POS?

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 01:34:20 pm »

I've been impressed with the GM products I've had for the most part.  Scheduled for my first Chry-co in three weeks I believe (300C AWD which I have high hopes for).  Liked the Fiat Abarth short drive I did if that counts. 

Toyota/Lexus seemed to dislike my last honest review so much, I haven't had another one of their products since last summer.  (Lexus CT200h).   :shuffle:   Good thing SirAqua never ended up posting my TDI vs Prius comparison due largely to the negativity in it.   :shuffle:

Come to think of it, screw this integrity thing.  I'm a marketing guy fer chrissakes!  (Now gimme my free cars and swag!).   ;D

Have fun in Detroit, boys.  Bring me back a Cayman would'ya?  Porsche's too cheap to do a display in Toronto.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 01:48:18 pm »

It really depends on how you define POS.  You have to be careful that you're not reviewing everything against either your own car, or against your favourite genre, such as (mine) powerful or light sports cars.  The 300C is a good example, it's a big heavy boat compared to what I prefer.  But it's a big heavy boat that goes fast and is very comfortable.  You have to put yourself in the mind of that segment's customer.

You are correct, if you constantly give very blunt, negative reviews, you won't get access to any more cars.  But it doesn't mean you can't be honest.  On a crap car you just have to look for the good points.  Look at the North American consumer, they love bland econoboxes.  So if a car is unmemorable, slow, and poor handling, you can probably find a few good things to say about it that will appeal to people looking for that sort of car.  Not even wants to drive something fast, light, noisy and flashy.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 02:24:03 pm »
I've driven a lot of crap.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 02:44:59 pm »

It really depends on how you define POS.  You have to be careful that you're not reviewing everything against either your own car, or against your favourite genre, such as (mine) powerful or light sports cars.  The 300C is a good example, it's a big heavy boat compared to what I prefer.  But it's a big heavy boat that goes fast and is very comfortable.  You have to put yourself in the mind of that segment's customer.

You are correct, if you constantly give very blunt, negative reviews, you won't get access to any more cars.  But it doesn't mean you can't be honest.  On a crap car you just have to look for the good points.  Look at the North American consumer, they love bland econoboxes.  So if a car is unmemorable, slow, and poor handling, you can probably find a few good things to say about it that will appeal to people looking for that sort of car.  Not even wants to drive something fast, light, noisy and flashy.

Agreed and the one thing that elevates one car above the rest from my perspective is how well it was engineered ant put together relative to its category. I understand econo boxes are econo boxes and I don't use that against them.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 10:29:42 pm »
Anyone see if they are doing that supposed Mercedes test drive event at Ontario Place this year?

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 11:18:35 pm »
^
^
^
^
^

That's terrible that reviewers can't be honest or they won't get more test cars.

Well, I guess it's the nature of the beast........

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02:40 pm »
Made my annual trip to the show on Friday - probably my last one for a while - lots the same as last year, the Lincoln and Caddy displays were identical, but there were a few things I was interested in seeing, Vette, Viper, ATS to name a couple.   Also sucking were the hundreds of high school students there on school trips... WTF ?!?!!!   >:(

Anyway, also wanted to look around a bit for what to replace the S60 with next year.

I'm really liking the Accord coupe and spent a bunch of time looking it over.  Love it - - except for the seats... I tried & tried and could not get comfortable in them - they just felt flat and unsupportive.  Will have to try again at dealer.. but it would mean no-go if I can't get happy with the seats.  :(

Also had a long look at the ATS.  Like what  see and felt good behind the wheel.  Matte black instead of the large amount of piano black in the interior would have been a good idea, it will look like hell after a while.  I sat in the CTS right after... holy shite ... these seats are designed for someone with a much fatter ass than mine.  Still LOVE the V-Wagon.

More random thoughts:

Looked at the G37 and came out pretty unimpressed with the interior.  I think I preferred the Maxima that I checked out a bit later.

Audi A6 - best seats and interior ever. Period.

For the second year in a row, I inexplicably fell in love with a Mopar product.  Jesus, I guess there is some redneck in me...  ;D
This time it was a wicked looking Charger SRT8.  It should have smoke pouring out of it since it looks like it just rolled up from the depths of hell:

New Vette and Viper both look great, but no question, i'd want the Vette.  The carbon fibre on the Viper's rear-end looks ridiculous.

Lexus LF-CC.  Lovely side profile, but too bad it got punched in the face & has a swollen bottom lip. 

Maserati.  Gran Turismo -  OMG what a thing of beauty.  I could stare at her for hours.

Didn't care much for the Q.P. though.  It just looks.... big.  Doesn't have anwhere near the sex appeal of the Gran Turismo...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 03:44:46 pm »
Sat in the LS 460.  I liked it for my highway cruising miles.
I think you may be in the wrong thread by a year  :rofl2: