Author Topic: 2011 Toronto Auto Show  (Read 66463 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Toronto Auto Show
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 12:53:30 pm »
Also don't forget that Fiat had two smokin' models at their booth in one-piecers ;D
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:28 pm »
Also don't forget that Fiat had two smokin' models at their booth in one-piecers ;D

Pics or GTFO!  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 09:23:46 am »

Pics or GTFO!  ;D

......I have dibs on the one on the LEFT..............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 09:19:27 pm »

Pics or GTFO!  ;D

If only.

One was named Sofia  :drool:

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:21 pm »
Took in the show today. Was busy but not nuts like it would have been on the weekend.

Surprise of the show for me was the Volvo S60.  I loved this thing.  Just right dimensions, fantastic seats, best i've ever sat in i think.
Will seriously consider this one.

They really do need to get some more knowledgeable/enthusiastic reps on the floor - asked a Volvo guy how to fold the rear seats in the S60 - he had no clue, eventually I found the release on the top of the inside of trunk...
Also decided to try the My Ford Touch demo in an Edge, which happened to have a lovely young lady doing the demo'ing...I had to coax this obviously very bored woman to do the 30 second demo

Was also pleasantly suprised by the Cruze.  Nice vehicle.  The GM reps were very enthusiastic i should add...

Nothing else really thrilled be all that much - Concorso Exotica was pretty cool to see.  And ya, the Fiat girls weren't bad either...

A few pics:

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:26 pm »
Nice Miura!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:04 am »
Off to the show today. Will certainly post my thoughts. I'm also certain that they will be different than many others here. :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 09:26:50 am »
Surprise of the show for me was the Volvo S60.  I loved this thing.  Just right dimensions, fantastic seats, best i've ever sat in i think.

They really do need to get some more knowledgeable/enthusiastic reps on the floor - asked a Volvo guy how to fold the rear seats in the S60 - he had no clue, eventually I found the release on the top of the inside of trunk...

I'm with you on the S60 - really sharp in person and those seats felt just terrific.  As for the reps, manufacturers tend to go for pretty faces versus fact-filled brains.  Thanks for the pics.

I thought the LF-A presented in person much as it does in photos - good looking overall, but not.... quite.... there... in terms of gorgeous supercar styling.

"Suprised how much I liked it" award went to the new Chrysler 300.  I will have to test drive one.  The styling makeover tones down the mafia soundtrack a couple levels and adds some Auid-esque elegance in its place.  Very upscale looking interior - particularly the guage cluster.  I wish more manufacturers would put some effort there - it's the one place you are most often looking when your eyes aren't on the road.

"Overhyped disappointment" award went to the Ford Focus.  It wasn't bad in any respect, but didn't make the strong positive impression that I was expecting.  The front end stying was attractively aggressive, but then things petered out quite quickly moving rearward.  The interior was a bit of a let-down.  Seemed quite busy.  And I found the seats noticeably narrow.  Not too narrow for me, but then I am not anywhere near to being a super-huge guy and there wasn't a much wiggle room.  That could prove annoying on a long drive where small shifts can help alleviate fatigue.

"My midlife crisis car" went to the Nismo 370Z.  I thought it stole a lot of visual thunder from the GT-R parked almost beside it.  Very sexay.

"Line-up so boring I didn't break stride" award was a tie between Honda and Toyota. Zzzzzzzzz......

"Best display" award went to Ford.  They had a huhyoooge area to themselves and put it to good use with interesting displays (the car cut in half was cool) and more importantly, lots of examples of all their models widely spaced for easy access.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 09:48:56 am »

"Overhyped disappointment" award went to the Ford Focus.  It wasn't bad in any respect, but didn't make the strong positive impression that I was expecting.  The front end stying was attractively aggressive, but then things petered out quite quickly moving rearward.  The interior was a bit of a let-down.  Seemed quite busy.  And I found the seats noticeably narrow.  Not too narrow for me, but then I am not anywhere near to being a super-huge guy and there wasn't a much wiggle room.  That could prove annoying on a long drive where small shifts can help alleviate fatigue.

Jaeger

I agree, maybe I have read too much about how amazing it, the Elantra and the Cruze are, but none of the three impressed me all that much.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:34 am »
Anyone at the show today?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 10:52:33 am »
Anyone at the show today?

I'll be back there tomorrow, not today man, sorry.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 01:16:08 pm »
["My midlife crisis car" went to the Nismo 370Z.  I thought it stole a lot of visual thunder from the GT-R parked almost beside it.  Very sexay.

Jaeger

Yes, agree - that Nismo was very verrry nice... if I was in the money no object club, i'd pick that Nismo over the GT-R.  Was curious too that they had the GT-R kind of hidden away behind it, but it was roped off so I guess thats how you are supposed to tell it's special.
The Nismo definitely had more 'presence'  IMHO

The Ford display was the winner for sheer sq. footage... I was surprised how much I liked the Edge - really nice inside & out thought the MyFord Touch was pretty neat (yes, i am a geek   ;D), and how disappointed I was with the Fusion - driver door felt like it weighed about a half a pound and interior felt cheap. Was expecting something more substantial

I think Audi was my favourite display.. spent lots of time there trying out lots of stuff.  Also kudos to them for having the R8's open... very cool to be able to have a seat in a $180,000 car...

So,, on my test drive list in the next couple of weeks will be the Edge & S60.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:08 pm »
["My midlife crisis car" went to the Nismo 370Z.  I thought it stole a lot of visual thunder from the GT-R parked almost beside it.  Very sexay.

Jaeger

Yes, agree - that Nismo was very verrry nice... if I was in the money no object club, i'd pick that Nismo over the GT-R.  Was curious too that they had the GT-R kind of hidden away behind it, but it was roped off so I guess thats how you are supposed to tell it's special.
The Nismo definitely had more 'presence'  IMHO

The Ford display was the winner for sheer sq. footage... I was surprised how much I liked the Edge - really nice inside & out thought the MyFord Touch was pretty neat (yes, i am a geek   ;D), and how disappointed I was with the Fusion - driver door felt like it weighed about a half a pound and interior felt cheap. Was expecting something more substantial

I think Audi was my favourite display.. spent lots of time there trying out lots of stuff.  Also kudos to them for having the R8's open... very cool to be able to have a seat in a $180,000 car...

So,, on my test drive list in the next couple of weeks will be the Edge & S60.

I was ready to drive that White A4 Avant S Line home.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 01:24:31 pm »
Some picks from an outing with Erik - who I learned has very eclectic tastes in cars, is very knowledgeable about cars, and can strike up a conversation up with pretty much anyone.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 01:29:09 pm »
Some more photos...some from my favorite makers!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 01:35:56 pm »
Lots in here for rrocket!   ;D

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2011, 01:49:32 pm »
Maker I'd drive anything from - Audi, VW, Chrysler (make my Caliber an SRT4)

Maker I'll pass on - Toyota, Hyundai, Mercedes

Good Surprises - 300C, Sonic, Jag XJR - I've never seen one on the road...red interior was awesome...felt very special.  Regal GS.

Most Surprised - Charger -  AWD, Hemi, and I think I've got a red interior thing going...all but an MT. :'(

Bad Surprised - $44,000 for a Mini?, Ford Flex Titanium for $60,000?  Taurus for how much?

Not Surprised - Attitude at the BMW display, Lincoln needs help

Cars I'd buy - CTS-V, GTI, Mustang, Charger, Regal GS, Challenger

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »
I am here at the show again, taking proper photos this time.  Post some up later.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2011, 02:52:53 pm »
You wouldn't drive the GC V6 with the track pack? You can't be that biased, it can out handle a Mustang you know.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2011, 03:02:52 pm »
You wouldn't drive the GC V6 with the track pack? You can't be that biased, it can out handle a Mustang you know.

Isn't the GC V6 GT within spitting distance price-wise of the Mustang GT?
The V6 Mustang starts at $23k or so.

I could rationalize/justify getting the turbo, but I'm not sure I could make a case for the V6.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:04:23 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »