Author Topic: Feature: 2010 Vancouver Auto Show highlights  (Read 7684 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: 2010 Vancouver Auto Show highlights
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:18:35 am »

Though not quite as big or as flashy as past Vancouver auto shows, the 2010 Vancouver auto show is displaying over 400 new vehicles, from the economical new Ford Fiesta to the slightly less economical Ferrari 16M Scuderia Spider, reports Editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.

Read More...

edcar

Re: Feature: 2010 Vancouver Auto Show highlights
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:54:00 am »
I checked out the show yesterday and was disappointed that Nissan/Infiniti were a no show: I wanted to check out the new M. Glad I ate before going in because I didn't find the concession that is normally open. Not mentioned in the article is the multi-day pass for $18 which I purchased. They give you two tickets which are valid for any two days.

I sat in the new Panamera: imposing in person but still kind of ugly--even claustrophobic with the ramp style centre console, but very nice materials throughout. The Jag's new XJ is quite impressive looking, but you have to get permission to sit in it. They also have the new Ferrari California--roped off of course. It's as big as a Maser GT coupe but not nearly as well designed imop. The most impressive car for me was the MB SLS--wow! It is on a raised platform with the doors open but you get a decent view--check out the front discs--biggest I've ever seen! The Hyundai Tucson is quite impressive on the inside but too busy on the outside for my tastes--the LTD version is about $36K! The Ford Focus is pretty decent--a Fit fighter for sure! There are a few interesting cars on the walkway--Spyker, various Aston's and Lambos (flat white paint!), a MB Mclaren convertible in flat black, plus the vintage stuff. Oh, and enviro canada's top fuel efficient cars in various categories. I'm taking a buddy on a tour today...:)

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:00:23 pm »
I really like the frontal view of that Mazda 2....Another HUGE winner for Mazda.
What the hell happen to the backend of that BMW 5 series GT ?........Holy Astek Batman!!!   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Mike

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:14:17 pm »
Just checked out the show today which was nice as I hadn't been for 5 years!

I agree Edcar - the SLS AMG was fantastic!  I liked that I was able to check out all the vehicles and sit inside them and see how they performed on style, comfort and quality alone. 

One car that impressed me was the Chevrolet Cruze.  I'll admit I didn't have high expectations for it given how awful the Cobalt is, however I think it's fair to say that Chevy finally has a decent compact to go up against the competition.  The Ford Fiesta is definitely one of the best subcompacts out there, however I think I was expecting a bit more in the sense that in pictures it came off as being more premium and richer looking than in person, however for the price and the class that it is in, it's definitely a winner.  Another car that impressed me is the new Sonata which, while not 100% perfect, is very attractive and comfortable.

Cars that disappointed me included the Acura lineup, the Lexus LS, Chevrolet Camaro and Cadillac CTS.  Acura's have become rather unattractive with their nasty front grilles, their interiors are no better than their Honda counterparts and they have a rather toxic new car smell.  My cousin's 04 TSX suffered from that as well.  The Lexus LS I was disappointed with given the price they charge and how it can supposedly compete with the Germans, however the interior uses lower grade plastics than the competition and the wood trim looks incredibly fake.  The Chevrolet Camaro is very cartoon-like on the outside and the interior is by far THE worst car interior on a car over $20,000 that I've seen in a while.  Even the Dodge Challenger has a nicer interior.  The Cadillac CTS disappointed me in terms of quality as well.  The interior seems nice in pictures, however in person it ends up being very chintzy.

Leviathan

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:20:25 am »
The Chevrolet Camaro is very cartoon-like on the outside and the interior is by far THE worst car interior on a car over $20,000 that I've seen in a while.  Even the Dodge Challenger has a nicer interior. 
Ouch. How did the Mustang compare?

Mike

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
The Mustang is really nice!  You could tell it was well liked because I had to wait a while to sit inside it where with the Camaro and Challenger there was no wait whatsoever!