Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2899988 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7960 on: December 13, 2017, 12:59:37 pm »
Dropped off the GTI at the dealer as the lease was up.

You didn't want to try and sell it yourself?

I tried but only one person showed interest.

Thanks for the bad news.  I have only had 2 legit people interested, (that came to my house). 

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #7961 on: December 13, 2017, 01:33:16 pm »
Had the hand brake recall done today.
I also bought donuts and coffee for the service guys at the dealership as they are always super nice and helpful with me, something I like to do every Christmas for them.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7962 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:58 pm »
Had the hand brake recall done today.
I also bought donuts and coffee for the service guys at the dealership as they are always super nice and helpful with me, something I like to do every Christmas for them.

Had the same recall.  Brought them nothing.  I do nice things for them.   I bring them the vehicle at 9am, with my wife following me.  No need for shuttle, and pick it up at 5.  They have the whole day, which gives them flexibility. 

I bring my Toro dealership coffee and donuts every time I need maintenance done on my lawn equipment, because I need to get on the road ASAP. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7963 on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:22 pm »
Just gave the door rubber on the F-150 a good spray with silicone lubricant.  It rained all day and temps are going way down tonight, so I want to avoid the inevitable freeze up and peel off of my door rubber.  It's the one really weak point of this generation.   The first time it happend it came off of both doors and it was the first really cold night the truck went through. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7964 on: December 13, 2017, 03:06:59 pm »
I looked at the truck from inside the house  :rofl:

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7965 on: December 13, 2017, 07:06:57 pm »
Decided to give the car battery a charge today seeing how its cold out in Ottawa (-19C tonight). I haven't driven my car since Sunday since I take the bus to work and it sees a lot of short trips when I do use it.

Battery charge shows as "LOW" (<50%).

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: December 13, 2017, 07:31:17 pm »
Just gave the door rubber on the F-150 a good spray with silicone lubricant.  It rained all day and temps are going way down tonight, so I want to avoid the inevitable freeze up and peel off of my door rubber.  It's the one really weak point of this generation.   The first time it happend it came off of both doors and it was the first really cold night the truck went through. 

I use this stuff on my car since it has frameless windows:

https://www.amazon.ca/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513211218&sr=8-3&keywords=gummi

Expensive but works great and its cleaner.

Frameless windows look cool but it doesn't work well in snow and ice because the windows move up and down when the door opens. You either hear the "crunch" of the snow and ice, or the window doesn't move at all because its frozen. I carry a bottle of window deicer just in case now.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7967 on: December 13, 2017, 09:18:09 pm »
Decided to give the car battery a charge today seeing how its cold out in Ottawa (-19C tonight). I haven't driven my car since Sunday since I take the bus to work and it sees a lot of short trips when I do use it.

You need to use a battery tender (low voltage).  Permanently install the proper fitting to the battery for a quick connect.  Using a battery charger even at 2 amps will kill a battery.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: December 13, 2017, 09:40:46 pm »

You need to use a battery tender (low voltage).  Permanently install the proper fitting to the battery for a quick connect.  Using a battery charger even at 2 amps will kill a battery.

Really...this one automatically goes into "Float" mode which turns off when the battery is fully charged. Currently on 2A trickle charge.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7969 on: December 13, 2017, 10:06:35 pm »

https://www.amazon.ca/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513211218&sr=8-3&keywords=gummi

Frameless windows look cool but it doesn't work well in snow and ice because the windows move up and down when the door opens. You either hear the "crunch" of the snow and ice, or the window doesn't move at all because its frozen. I carry a bottle of window deicer just in case now.

Good stuff -  I use it on the hardtop seals on the SLK.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: December 14, 2017, 01:11:50 pm »

Good stuff -  I use it on the hardtop seals on the SLK.

Good to know.  I remember somebody else on here mentioned this stuff before but I couldn't find any at the time.  One thing I don't like about the spray I use is the smell  I actually used a shop towel to block the overspray from getting inside the cab and it wasn't too bad.  I reminded my work partner yesterday to give his a spray but he didn't block the overspray and the smell in his cabin was almost unbearable today....lol. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7971 on: December 14, 2017, 01:14:41 pm »
Just picked up a bottle of that Gummi Pflege stuff off of Amazon, about $15 bottle. Try it on all the cars.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7972 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:56 pm »
Got my MDX's windshield replaced, due to not just getting the chip fixed.
I thought the chip was big enough that it couldn't be fixed, but the windshield people said it could have been filled.
So I ended up paying $250+HST out of my pocket.   I didn't go through insurance because deductible is $500.

Oh well, it had too many tiny pits that bothered me when driving at night and in rain anyway.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7973 on: December 15, 2017, 06:01:34 am »
That's a good price.   What company.

And ya, most comp claim co-pays are $500 these merry days so most are done out of pocket.  Unless of course the vehicle has a defroster system embedded in it.  :o

Year one in 2007 Camry my wife was following a dump truck and a piece of whatever came off the back of it and cracked the glass.  I warned her before about following dump trucks, but she is a lousy passer.  So I of course I just let it grow and in year 6 it got pretty pitted as well so I paid $300 or so for a new one and then 3 months later the car hit a deer and it was replaced again under insurance.  ::) :P

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: December 15, 2017, 06:29:19 pm »
Last night i was working in the garage when i heard this whirring sound, like a motor, coming from underneath the car.  It was hard to isolate but it was coming from the rear of the car and it sounded like the fuel pump.  First thing i thought was a bad relay, so i checked for warning lights and nothing there.  Then turned the car on and moved it out and back in the garage, turned it off and everything was fine.   :think:

Went inside and searched the online manual and saw this:

Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming
from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation
leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.

Phew!  ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: December 15, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »

Really...this one automatically goes into "Float" mode which turns off when the battery is fully charged. Currently on 2A trickle charge.

Those 2A/10A units are battery chargers, not battery tenders.  They do a very poor job at maintaining a battery as they have no algorithm built into them.  Best for charging up a battery that's going onto a shelf for a period of time or for an overnight quick charge in a vehicle.  The "float" mode will cook your battery over time @ 2amps.  I have one of those, but would never use it as a tender.

This is what I use on the Mustang and ATV.  ATV is circa 2006 and battery still original.  Leads are permanently installed on battery with quick connect option. I'm a little shocked at the price increase though.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noco-genius-g3500-smart-battery-charger-0111927p.html

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7976 on: December 15, 2017, 07:55:26 pm »
So the kid and I were up on the Icefields Parkway yesterday backcountry skiing and digging a ton of avalanche hazard assessment pits.  She's scheduled for her professional level exam one year from now, and is working hard on getting ready.

We get back to Banff, and the Highlander is making the most HORRIBLE squealing and grinding noise.  It abates a bit when the brakes are pressed, so I'm sure it's in the brakes.

I stop to see what's up, cant find anything.  The wheels are cold, so probably not a stuck brake.  I decide to head to the kid's house to have a better look.  The noise is gone as we drive away, yay.

I drive her to Sunshine this morning for work, and all is well until I'm just about to turn off the access road onto the highway.  The noise is not only back, but far worse.  UGH.  I pull over, can't find anything, try rocking back and forth and varying brake pressure, nothing works.

I get into town, and google "Banff Auto Repairs" as I have no tools, no real place to work on it (her parking is on the on street and it's steep) and so I need a shop to see what's up.  I find "Banff Service" and call them.  It's 8:01AM and they open at 8:00.  A woman's voice answers, and I explain what's going on, that I'm from Edmonton, and could they fit me in today?  She asks if I can come down right away.  I do.  She's very knowledgeable, figures something is up with the brakes, tells me she'll have a tech bring it in right away.

A little later she brings me out a wedge-shaped rock that had really got itself stuck between the disc and backing plate.  They took all four wheels off to make sure everything was sorted, had a general look at the car to make sure I'd be good to go home, took it for a test drive, and declared it all solid.  They saw the worn bushings in the rear suspension, figured they'll easily last until spring when I can do them myself, and pronounced the old girl good to go.

Before 10AM, I'm driving back to the kid's place.  The bill was $66 including taxes and everything.  SIXTY SIX BUCKS.  You read it right.

It's a family business, looks a bit rough from the outside, and they sure won me over today.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7977 on: December 15, 2017, 08:02:01 pm »
Bonus?  These are the cars of the shop's two brother/owners:  (so yeah, car guys)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7978 on: December 15, 2017, 08:15:36 pm »
Boss!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #7979 on: December 15, 2017, 10:32:32 pm »
Nice stable - Rocket and Wink will be drooling!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...