Author Topic: What "build and price" sites have you been on lately  (Read 225082 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: What "build and price" sites have you been on lately
« Reply #640 on: March 09, 2018, 11:09:12 am »
Spent some time pricing out a new Tiguan with AWD.  Price is less shocking than I thought.  Compares nicely with the CrossTrek in terms of price and seems to be a better deal in terms of features. 

Long term reliability is another issue altogether though.  Perhaps better as a lease?  Dunno.

Might be.  Or wait a year for the bugs to be worked out.  I think VW nailed the size and packaging of the Tiguan.  Sure it needs more power but it's competitive with what it has.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

ltruong

« Reply #641 on: March 09, 2018, 11:09:46 am »
Spent some time pricing out a new Tiguan with AWD.  Price is less shocking than I thought.  Compares nicely with the CrossTrek in terms of price and seems to be a better deal in terms of features. 

Long term reliability is another issue altogether though.  Perhaps better as a lease?  Dunno.

The new tiguan would be more inline with the forester for size wise but hey you cross shop what you want!!  long term reliability I would quote both  them the same.  Maybe VW better for powertrain

Digital cockpit is nice!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #642 on: April 16, 2018, 09:33:39 pm »
Noticed VW released the Touareg TDI and Audi Q5 TDI left overs. Would love to have either one of those. Over 400 pounds of torque. One or should I say two of the SUVs that I'd would like to have.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 16, 2018, 10:09:35 pm »

What are the builds?! The CrossTrek starts at $23k! Unless ur comparing a Limited to a Tiguan Trendline (base model, lacking many features....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #644 on: April 16, 2018, 11:40:53 pm »
I was checking out the Tiguan today too (again).

Trendline looks like good value to me for an utility vehicle (luxury/fancy features are not a must have) - it comes with most of the feature Is want when Convenience Package is added for about $32,800.

I assume that I would be able to get at least $2,800 off which would bring the price down to $30K. Sure, it's no frills - no auto climate control, no HID (or LED), no push button, etc. but for an utilitarian vehicle it's fine.  It has CarPlay/Android Auto, leather steering wheel, auto lights and wipers, sliding rear seats, 40-20-40 split, 17" alloy, fog-lights (no blanks), cloth sets and interesting looking ones so all the basis are covered. The only thing I dislike in this trim, aside of the cheap rear door panels, it's the lack of rear armrest - I really wish it had one.

Still in the running for a potential replacement for the Outlander when the time comes - I kind of made peace with the fact that in the mainstream compact SUV, 4 cylinders and 180-190 hp is the norm. Otherwise, I would have to bite the bullet and put up with $50K premium SUVs... Tough call.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #645 on: April 17, 2018, 08:00:33 am »

Trendline looks like good value to me for an utility vehicle (luxury/fancy features are not a must have) - it comes with most of the feature Is want when Convenience Package is added for about $32,800.

I assume that I would be able to get at least $2,800 off which would bring the price down to $30K. Sure, it's no frills - no auto climate control, no HID (or LED), no push button, etc. but for an utilitarian vehicle it's fine.  It has CarPlay/Android Auto, leather steering wheel, auto lights and wipers, sliding rear seats, 40-20-40 split, 17" alloy, fog-lights (no blanks), cloth sets and interesting looking ones so all the basis are covered. The only thing I dislike in this trim, aside of the cheap rear door panels, it's the lack of rear armrest - I really wish it had one.

Still in the running for a potential replacement for the Outlander when the time comes - I kind of made peace with the fact that in the mainstream compact SUV, 4 cylinders and 180-190 hp is the norm. Otherwise, I would have to bite the bullet and put up with $50K premium SUVs... Tough call.
Why not look at a Used CUV?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #646 on: April 17, 2018, 10:04:12 am »

Or just get the Kia Sorento with the V6.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 17, 2018, 11:23:33 am »

This. The EX-V6, mid $30's. All day long before a Tiguan.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:28:57 am by G.Bombay »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #648 on: April 17, 2018, 04:57:20 pm »
Playing with the Peugeot 308 configurator...........but no way can I afford a new one :(

There's a 208 GTi with the same 1,6 litre petrol, would make a fun pocket rocket but the long-distance comfort might be lacking and the lack of xenons or LED headlamps is a no-go for me.

There are plenty of 308s with the Puretech 1,2 litre 130THP petrol engine but I kind of want power in a country where accelerating from 130-170 is a big deal.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 17, 2018, 05:19:24 pm »

You can also get a slightly used Sorento V6 for pennies. They depreciate quite quickly.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #650 on: April 17, 2018, 06:50:32 pm »

You can also get a slightly used Sorento V6 for pennies. They depreciate quite quickly.
I look at Sorento and passed on it  ::)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 19, 2018, 09:14:13 am »
Building M2's and RS3's.  And then realizing I need to help three kids get to college....

They can get a job, and pay most of their own way.  It's def my mantra... My wife on the other hand... ::) She's always dropping money into the kids account.  He doesn't need the help.  The youngest though...different story there.  Good thing he got a big scholarship too. 

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 25, 2018, 11:40:44 am »

Having spent about an hour in the showroom checking out the Tiguan, waiting for my GTI to have the wheels swapped, I came to the conclusion that it may still be a contender in the future. I spent most of the time checking out the rear passenger and cargo area since they finally had one on the floor without the 3rd row option.

Few key points:

Pros
- Cargo space is pretty versatile and spacious enough for my needs/wants - deep and wide cargo floor, enough leg room in the back even in the most forward position and with the front seats setup for me, sliding/reclining rear seats, 40/20/40 split - all good features which makes it very versatile
- Cargo floor height is adjustable by about 1.5-2 inch, but I don't find it material. The good thing could be that with the floor at the highest position, there might be enough space underneath to fit a full spare (something I would most likely consider).
- Cargo walls are carpeted instead of hard plastic trim and the suspension does not intrude much in the usable cargo. Generous space to store washer fluid jars on both sides.
- There is in fact a rear armrest on the Trendline despite some pictures on the vw.ca which do not show it.
- 12V+USB for the rear passengers and console vents (instead of floor only)

Cons
- Cargo floor is almost flush with the bumper (lose items could fall when you open the hatch)
- Rear view camera is no longer hidden behind the VW badge (expect to get dirty in winter)
- Cargo hooks look unfinished and cheap (just a fixed painted steel loop)
- Rear door panel inserts are made of hard plastic instead of fabric like the front (I ranted about this before and it's still one big issue in my eyes; I hope VW will eventually fix it in a future MY)

Checking the website again, the Trendline 4Motion + Convenience  for $32,825 MSRP would most likely be my choice.

It comes with all my MUST-HAVE features and more, except for HID and to a lesser extent, the auto climate control and sliding/height adjustable front armrest found in the Golf (not available on Tiguan). More importantly for me, this is the only trim that comes with (nice) cloth seats and leather steering wheel/gear sifter combination which is my preference.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2018, 08:41:55 pm »
I was just over on the Jeep site and the 3 year lease payments look extremely low on the 2018 JKs.  An unlimited Rubicon looks to be just under $600 a month tax included, while not cheap seems very low for a close to $60,000 vehicle after tax.  Anyone have any thoughts on this, I know the Wrangler has good residuals but maybe with the JL just around the corner they need to move the JKs quickly?

I checked that out a couple months back and found a JK Rubicon to be temptingly low to lease too. 

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 03, 2018, 07:36:39 pm »
Just on Ford...you can't get an Edge with the 3..5 V6 anymore...huh...either of the two turbos, 4 cyl or 2.7 V6. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 05, 2018, 10:54:51 am »
Genesis G70

Just have a hard time wrapping my head around a sedan.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 05, 2018, 12:25:42 pm »
Genesis G70

Come on...you were all baller when you drove my LS!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #657 on: May 05, 2018, 01:09:07 pm »
Ford.  Shelby GT 350.

;D
[/quote
Ford.  Shelby GT 350.

;D

Just saw a black one now when out for a drive. Black with silver stripes. Looked awesome.
Do it!!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 05, 2018, 02:17:26 pm »
Genesis G70

Come on...you were all baller when you drove my LS!
Yep. Loved driving your car and wish I had one for the many trips I do to London. But still need to carry bikes and camping gear plus sleep in the back at the odd trailhead.

Would love to have two cars but that isn't happening anytime soon.

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 07, 2018, 06:41:28 pm »
BMW.ca configuring a 2018 BMW M2 -one of the cars in my "if I win the lottery" list.

This was after reading an article and looking at some pictures of accessories and upgrades on the already upgraded M2 Competition version. Save for the big rear wing, I would check all the boxes for those carbon-fiber accents/parts as well as the decals.

Manual, RWD, 400HP I6 turbo in a relatively small package... what's not to like other than the price, which would probably be well over $100K when all it's said and done. One can dream though... it's free!