Author Topic: The Yaris is fun!  (Read 2784 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
The Yaris is fun!
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:49:04 am »
While my Echo was clearly not as good as this car, I understand what he means. I could wail on my car all day...and it we happy to do so. Handling wasn't stellar, but it was fun enough. For such a cheap car, I liked it. Oh...and likely as bullet proof and cheap to run as anything.

I'd imagine with the Mazda2 underpinnings, this car must be soooo much better. If I need a basic commuter that's cheap and fun, I'd rock one of these I think.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2017-toyota-yaris-manual-is-secretly-a-super-fun-ca-1821739139
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: The Yaris is fun!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:55:13 pm »
You know, I felt this way about my 2002 Accent Hatch 5spd.  It was a terrible car by all accounts and almost all metrics.  The engine was low tech and low horsepower (SOHC, 92hp), there was no power steering (or power anything for that matter), and the interior was terrible (a sea of grey, hard plastic).  It wasn't even that good on gas (my 2003 Civic with 23 more hp was much better on gas).

BUT, the 5-speed manual transmission was perfectly matched to the engine, and the car weighed nothing at all.  The ratios were quite tightly spaced, which made for quite a lively (if not exactly fast) experience around town.  The lack of power steering meant the steering was direct.  The lack of weight meant the car would change direction quite willingly.

It was the very definition of 'slow car fast' as you could approach the limits pretty close to legal speeds, and end up having quite a bit of fun as a result.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:25:23 pm »
I miss my Mazda2  :'(

It is a shame that Yaris is so ugly though - especially at the front.

One of my favourtie cars was my old Nissan Micra. Probably had something like 50hp but it was super light (definition of tin can body panels) and very tossable and eager feeling.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 01:33:51 pm »

One of my favourtie cars was my old Nissan Micra. Probably had something like 50hp but it was super light (definition of tin can body panels) and very tossable and eager feeling.

I just ditched mine yesterday. So far - not missing it.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 01:36:56 pm »

Ditched certainly doesn't sound positive.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 01:46:54 pm »
No comments...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 02:19:55 pm »
No love for the Yaris from me.  I ran one as my daily commuter (a 2007 Yaris RS hatchback) for 6 months and 30,000 kilometres and it was a pretty joyless experience...and I get it, small, cheap, low powered cars can be a blast to drive.  Perhaps this one is good to drive because it's actually a Mazda 2?  Still wouldn't be my choice though.  MINI or Fiat 500 are fun or if a bit more practicality required a Fiesta or Hyundai Accent hatchback are both strangely endearing, with the proviso that a small, low powered car needs to have a manual transmission.

I will give the Yaris this though.  My mother-in-law passed it on to me at 7 years old and 170k and I took it up to 200k in 6 months.  My brother-in-law took it over and four years later it's still going strong on 300k with minimal servicing and only one mechanical breakdown in that time.  That's pretty impressive but the 2004 V6 Sebring that I replaced it with was infinitely more preferable in my opinion.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 04:57:37 pm »
No love for the Yaris from me.  I ran one as my daily commuter (a 2007 Yaris RS hatchback) for 6 months and 30,000 kilometres and it was a pretty joyless experience...and I get it, small, cheap, low powered cars can be a blast to drive.  Perhaps this one is good to drive because it's actually a Mazda 2?  Still wouldn't be my choice though.  MINI or Fiat 500 are fun or if a bit more practicality required a Fiesta or Hyundai Accent hatchback are both strangely endearing, with the proviso that a small, low powered car needs to have a manual transmission.

I will give the Yaris this though.  My mother-in-law passed it on to me at 7 years old and 170k and I took it up to 200k in 6 months.  My brother-in-law took it over and four years later it's still going strong on 300k with minimal servicing and only one mechanical breakdown in that time.  That's pretty impressive but the 2004 V6 Sebring that I replaced it with was infinitely more preferable in my opinion.
Do do know 2017 Yaris is made by Mazda , it is a Mazda 2

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:13:59 pm »

I think maybe he does.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:15:28 pm »

manual? why did you get rid of it?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:40:00 pm by Solstice2006 »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 05:20:22 pm »

I think maybe he does.
I guess I missed that part in the rant

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:51 pm »
Last September I had a Yaris rental for a week. I concur with the article – heaps fun. Plenty of pep, plenty of room for the front (and only) passengers, and great outward visibility. Impressive little car.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 06:21:25 pm »
I get the Yaris.  Solid hatch from Toyota that will go 400K and cost you nothing.  Nice little car that I'd easily live with.  I get the Corolla.  Nice compact sedan, quite roomy, amazing reliability and fuel economy that's not far off hybrids.  I don't get the Yaris sedan.  It's priced about the same as the Corolla, offers little fuel economy advantage, is smaller, and well, it's not a Corolla.  Why bother sell them both?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 06:26:48 pm »
I get the Yaris.  Solid hatch from Toyota that will go 400K and cost you nothing.  Nice little car that I'd easily live with.  I get the Corolla.  Nice compact sedan, quite roomy, amazing reliability and fuel economy that's not far off hybrids.  I don't get the Yaris sedan.  It's priced about the same as the Corolla, offers little fuel economy advantage, is smaller, and well, it's not a Corolla.  Why bother sell them both?

Is that much different from the Corolla and Matrix situation?

ltruong

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 07:08:22 pm »

My sister has a Mazda2.  quite fun to drive!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 07:24:56 pm »

Not exactly my favourite car, but I had a 1983 or 1984 Nissan Micra.  I had for one winter, between jobs, really broke.  Paid $300, fake safety.  3 weeks after having it, it wouldn't go into reverse.  It was manual.  It's a fun challenge.  For a whole week, try to find parking spots that you just go forward with.  If I was stuck, putting the car in neutral, and backing the thing up was pretty simple.  It was an adventure for sure.  The heat didn't work very well either.  The stereo was broken, so I just left a boombox in the car that ran on D batteries.   

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 09:52:33 am »

manual? why did you get rid of it?

Yes it was manual. I'm now a proper corporate citizen driving my 2018 WRX. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Mazda2 and it had plenty of advantages, but our time together had run its course.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 01:24:43 pm »
I think this is a mindset thing...while light and "tossable" may be true to some degree, it's still no handling champion.  Folks want cheap transport, and this is what you get - a really amazing offering compared to what used to be "loaded" 5-10 years ago (hell, my 2010 Mazda3 still doesn't have Traction Control...the Yaris tested did, along with a screen!!).

...but you have to compare the iA to the Corolla beside it (or the closer-styled Mazda3?).  Pricing-wise, they're within an earshot, yet you get so much more of a substantial car with the compact over the sub-compact.

In 2010, we went to the Toyota dealership to buy a Yaris, but ended up with the Corolla - it was $500 more, yet offered so, so much more.

I love the Fiesta for a lot of reasons, but I'd never buy one when the Focus is sitting beside it for about the same money.

-ST trims, on the other hand...the Fiesta seems to wear it for a LOT cheaper.  Unless the savings are substantial, there's not much better about subcompacts.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 01:26:27 pm »
Toyota Yaris hatch = made-in-France 'Yota that's a bit long in the tooth

Toyota Yaris sedan = made-in-Mexico Mazda 2 sedan

...same engine size, same hp rating, but different engines, just to add to the confusion!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 11:56:20 pm »
I'm all in if Toyota ever builds one of these for the street!!  :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN4vw20kd6M