Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2313670 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #7160 on: July 21, 2017, 06:35:01 pm »
RIP Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park

suicide, on Chris Cornell's birthday [they were close friends]

this blows

suicide is never the answer, so sad
Sometimes it is....

Only if you have terminal illness, besides that I cannot see a reason
Because you don't understand. And I never did.

But a professional told me this and after I understood:

imagine the saddest day of your life. Maybe the day a child, spouse or close loved one died. The saddest, most painful moment of your life.  Now imagine that terrible, helpless feeling every day...for the rest of your life.

That's how people with serious mental illness can feel. Every. Single. Day.

That's why suicide is a way out for those people.

But yes, for some people suicide isn't the right choice.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #7161 on: July 24, 2017, 05:50:45 pm »
A bit of a long one.

A cousin of mine was studying at a college in Ontario.  I saw him in mid-June in Winnipeg at my wedding.  We hung out before and after the wedding.  All was good.  Then after we are back from our honeymoon (29th of June), he calls me and says he has graduated, but doesn't have any leads on a job yet.  He is moving to a smaller place (a room in shared apartment) but is short on rent money or the security deposit.  I say ok, and send him some cash.  He calls me the next day and says he hasn't found a place and needs to be out of his place by the next day (now im thinking then why did you ask for money the previous day if u hadnt even found a place to move into, but dont say anything).  So I tell him he can come and stay in my basement in Regina while he looks for a job.  Doesn't have to worry about rent/groceries.  So I take back the money I had previously sent him and book him a flight. 

He gets here and the day he arrives he says it was really difficult to move from Ontario to SK.  Then he says his friends in ON have bet him that he will be back in a month.  Both these statements rub me the wrong way.  Again I don't say anything.  He has been here over two weeks now, and hasn't gone out looking for a job once.  Not one day.  Hasn't asked me to print out resumes.  Nothing.  He claims everything is online now.  While that may be true, I still think it helps to go out and drop off resumes, volunteer, make contacts rather than just sit at home all day.  Even at home, I have seen him spend more time on the PS3 than on Linkedin or Indeed.

Now I'm going to be listing my house soon, and moving to Winnipeg into my wife's 1 bdrm condo, while we look for a new house to buy in the Peg.  I ask him how he feels about staying in the house in Regina until it sells.  I figure he'd have the house to himself.  The condo in winnipeg could get a little tight, and i wouldn't have to worry about getting someone to mow the lawn etc when the realtor is showing the house.  He says he wants to come back to ON because he got a call about a job at a mall kiosk in ON, and wasn't able to make the interview cos he was in SK, and he feels he will be getting more calls for ON jobs soon.  I ask what he will do for rent.  He says he will make some arrangements (then why didn't you make those arrangements before?), and that "he is sure" he will get a job within a month. OK, then.  I'm ticked off, and figure he can find his own way back to ON.  But his dad is doing some running around for me to get some paperwork done in India so I figure I owe him, and pay for his flight back.  He says it would be hard for him to be in Regina by himself without a vehicle, and he has a bus pass back in Ontario  ??? ::) ??? ::)  W.T.F?

Now Im thinking what was the point of him ever coming out here?  And have decided that once he goes back to ON, if he needs any financial help, then I will be saying no.  I'm nice, but I'm not stupid.  I'm sure there will be some family drama to come out of this, but the way I see it, if I was unemployed coming out of college/university and someone gave me a place to stay rent-free and put food on the table while I looked for a job, I'd be thrilled. 

I would put it down to "oh he's young and stupid".  Not the case. He is 27.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:52:58 pm by SearhardBurger »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7162 on: July 24, 2017, 05:55:40 pm »
I have a shovel, tarp, and duct tape if you need it. If not, I know a guy. No questions asked.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #7163 on: July 24, 2017, 06:01:03 pm »
A bit of a long one.

A cousin of mine was studying at a college in Ontario.  I saw him in mid-June in Winnipeg at my wedding.  We hung out before and after the wedding.  All was good.  Then after we are back from our honeymoon (29th of June), he calls me and says he has graduated, but doesn't have any leads on a job yet.  He is moving to a smaller place (a room in shared apartment) but is short on rent money or the security deposit.  I say ok, and send him some cash.  He calls me the next day and says he hasn't found a place and needs to be out of his place by the next day (now im thinking then why did you ask for money the previous day if u hadnt even found a place to move into, but dont say anything).  So I tell him he can come and stay in my basement in Regina while he looks for a job.  Doesn't have to worry about rent/groceries.  So I take back the money I had previously sent him and book him a flight. 

He gets here and the day he arrives he says it was really difficult to move from Ontario to SK.  Then he says his friends in ON have bet him that he will be back in a month.  Both these statements rub me the wrong way.  Again I don't say anything.  He has been here over two weeks now, and hasn't gone out looking for a job once.  Not one day.  Hasn't asked me to print out resumes.  Nothing.  He claims everything is online now.  While that may be true, I still think it helps to go out and drop off resumes, volunteer, make contacts rather than just sit at home all day.  Even at home, I have seen him spend more time on the PS3 than on Linkedin or Indeed.

Now I'm going to be listing my house soon, and moving to Winnipeg into my wife's 1 bdrm condo, while we look for a new house to buy in the Peg.  I ask him how he feels about staying in the house in Regina until it sells.  I figure he'd have the house to himself.  The condo in winnipeg could get a little tight, and i wouldn't have to worry about getting someone to mow the lawn etc when the realtor is showing the house.  He says he wants to come back to ON because he got a call about a job at a mall kiosk in ON, and wasn't able to make the interview cos he was in SK, and he feels he will be getting more calls for ON jobs soon.  I ask what he will do for rent.  He says he will make some arrangements (then why didn't you make those arrangements before?), and that "he is sure" he will get a job within a month. OK, then.  I'm ticked off, and figure he can find his own way back to ON.  But his dad is doing some running around for me to get some paperwork done in India so I figure I owe him, and pay for his flight back.  He says it would be hard for him to be in Regina by himself without a vehicle, and he has a bus pass back in Ontario  ??? ::) ??? ::)  W.T.F?

Now Im thinking what was the point of him ever coming out here?  And have decided that once he goes back to ON, if he needs any financial help, then I will be saying no.  I'm nice, but I'm not stupid.  I'm sure there will be some family drama to come out of this, but the way I see it, if I was unemployed coming out of college/university and someone gave me a place to stay rent-free and put food on the table while I looked for a job, I'd be thrilled. 

I would put it down to "oh he's young and stupid".  Not the case. He is 27.

You did far more than I would ever do.  Consider your job complete.

I was raised to look after myself, and I always have.  I have zero patience for slackers, no matter how nice they seem to be - most are master manipulators.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: July 24, 2017, 06:43:49 pm »
Yea, I will do a lot for family, but not if I feel I'm being taken advantage of in any situation.

I take recommending/referring people seriously as I don't want it to reflect poorly on me if the person I recommend is lazy/incompetent.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: July 24, 2017, 06:45:12 pm »

Now Im thinking what was the point of him ever coming out here?

Not sure if you're familiar with the concept, but it's called a vacation.  On your dime.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: July 24, 2017, 06:49:09 pm »

Now Im thinking what was the point of him ever coming out here?

Not sure if you're familiar with the concept, but it's called a vacation.  On your dime.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

If I lived in SFO, Vancouver, Auckland or Sydney maybe.  Either that or he just has very poor taste in vacation destinations.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #7167 on: July 24, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »
Not sure why you would even bring him out to Regina in the 1st place? Way more opportunities in the Big Smoke right off the bat. I get the helping part, but what did you think he'd find in Regina?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: July 24, 2017, 07:00:54 pm »
Not sure why you would even bring him out to Regina in the 1st place? Way more opportunities in the Big Smoke right off the bat. I get the helping part, but what did you think he'd find in Regina?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Because he would have been out on the street otherwise.  Calling in the evening saying "I have to be out tomorrow" didn't give me a lot of notice.  Also, it wasn't necessarily so that he would just apply to places in Regina.  It was so that he'd have a rent free place to stay and he could also keep applying to jobs across the country.  No income and trying to spend 1/2/3 months in the GTA trying to look for a job didn't seem like a great plan.

If I had known he was going to just sit around at home, then I never would have brought him out here.  Like I said, in my book, he's not even trying.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: July 24, 2017, 07:08:48 pm »
Another "Welcome to the Real World, Snowflake."  story.

Sigh..you're far too kind Burger.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7170 on: July 24, 2017, 07:20:41 pm »

Man, I'm just far too Indian.  Hard to explain the dynamics of the family.  Even now, after all this, I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for money once he is back in Ontario, I say no and his folks accuse me of not helping family.  IDGAF. 

In Bombay, you're introduced to the real world very quickly.  I'm no stranger to it.  I guess I gave him the benefit of the doubt because his sister, who is back home, works 2 jobs, 7 days a week, to be able to afford a decent family home.  I figured the hard-working gene would have carried over.  Apparently not.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: July 24, 2017, 07:22:29 pm »

Man, I'm just far too Indian.  Hard to explain the dynamics of the family.  Even now, after all this, I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for money once he is back in Ontario, I say no and his folks accuse me of not helping family.  IDGAF. 

In Bombay, you're introduced to the real world very quickly.  I'm no stranger to it.  I guess I gave him the benefit of the doubt because his sister, who is back home, works 2 jobs, 7 days a week, to be able to afford a decent family home.  I figured the hard-working gene would have carried over.  Apparently not.

Just say no.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7172 on: July 24, 2017, 07:28:14 pm »
27 is a bad age.  Solid Millennial.  If they haven't found the light as far as work ethic by now, they probably won't.  Quite a few of my former students are that age, and they are super people - tough and self sufficient.  But, their cohort has a group of coddled buffoons that just plain don't see the need to do anything but sit around and complain.  The Boomers were hit and miss parents.

I'm glad to see that Gen-X's kids are shaping up to be much better.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: July 24, 2017, 07:33:57 pm »
Once he leaves, he's not my problem anymore.  I was going to ship him off this weekend, but the flight was cheaper next weekend.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: July 24, 2017, 07:37:39 pm »
27 is a bad age.  Solid Millennial.  If they haven't found the light as far as work ethic by now, they probably won't.  Quite a few of my former students are that age, and they are super people - tough and self sufficient.  But, their cohort has a group of coddled buffoons that just plain don't see the need to do anything but sit around and complain.  The Boomers were hit and miss parents.

I'm glad to see that Gen-X's kids are shaping up to be much better.

Yea, I'm frankly shocked by his attitude.  His dad recently retired after working in sales all his life, and his mom has been working in a bank since the 80s.  At one point, she had a 2-hour work commute each way.  Hard workers.  Not sure what happened with him. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7175 on: July 24, 2017, 07:40:06 pm »
^^^ I know people like that.  Worked hard but had no clue of how to impart that onto their kids.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: July 24, 2017, 07:50:09 pm »
^^^ I know people like that.  Worked hard but had no clue of how to impart that onto their kids.

Or doted/lavished too much on their kids.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #7177 on: July 24, 2017, 08:00:54 pm »

:thumbup:
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: July 24, 2017, 08:06:25 pm »

It can be a fine line.  You want to be caring and supportive, but you want them to be strong and independent too.  We've tried to be "lavish" on things we felt were positive influences and required effort on the kid's part.  Skiing/climbing and musical stuff has always been well supported because we felt they were highly positive activities and worthwhile in terms of being an active, healthy, and well-rounded person.  I don't blink at paying for her gym membership or if she needs new work-out gear.  She's doing some solo backpacks this summer and I'll pay for the gas and parks fees.  We shelled out for her ski instructor certifications.

She wants some fancy clothes?  She can work to buy that.  Her iPhone?  She bought that.  She worked two jobs this winter (Superstore and the ski hill) and maintained a 90%+ average.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: July 24, 2017, 08:14:56 pm »

I remember the first Xmas I went to at my ex-gf's place.  She and her younger sister both got iPhones, chocolates, jewellery and a PILE of new fancy clothes.  I remember thinking that what they got that Xmas was more than I had received in my entire life, and I was ok with that.  Because those gifts were just absurd.  The younger sister, last time I checked hadn't graduated from anything despite changing her mind 3-4 times on what she wanted to do.  She now has a kid, but no job.