Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Buick Encore  (Read 20830 times)

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
Re: First Drive: 2013 Buick Encore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 01:20:50 pm »
I would not ever buy anything made in Deawoo's notorious Beupyeong, Incheon plant.

If other people want to, and I sincerely hope they do, then they had better buy a GMPP to go with it.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 02:42:05 pm »
What's wrong with the market? People don't want wagons and/or hatchbacks but butt-ugly mini-SUV's that look like they've been stuck in a microwave are OK? Why would someone buy this instead of a Golf TDI or GTI even?

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 03:00:59 pm »
Because that isn't the demographic it's aimed at. Just like food and music, there are a variety of tastes – that which pleases some of us might be thoroughly repulsive to others.
It's dead quiet, comfortable and easy to drive. Exactly what it's supposed to be. Would I buy one? Hell no. I could get a Miata and new suspension for my MX3 and still have money left over for a few lapping days. But then I'm not who it's meant for, and obviously, neither are some of you guys.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »
Saw one up on a display stand outside the Buick-GMC store today.....it's just as ugly in the flesh.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:56 pm »
I would not ever buy anything made in Deawoo's notorious Beupyeong, Incheon plant.

If other people want to, and I sincerely hope they do, then they had better buy a GMPP to go with it.

DEAWOO ALERT! DEAWOO ALERT!  Which is CODE for LEASE ONLY.  Wonder what the rates will be?  :)

History repeats itself.   GM yet again has decided that the only way they can grow is to sell 4 brands, 3 of which result from a giant blender of shared parts.  Real word mileage on this unit will be hilarious. 

Starts @ 27K plus Freight CDN.  ::)    By early summer you will see this unit on US border TV channels leasing for $199. mth/ 0 down.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 03:28:56 pm »
i don't mind the looks of this, and i'm not gay. ;D
WTF.  :nono:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »

Perhaps as in "light-hearted and carefree"  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 03:43:17 pm »
what?

the article mentioned that some men found it good looking, but they were the gay friends...i simply stated that i didn't mind the looks of it, despite not being gay myself...put your finger away. ::)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 04:06:39 pm »
To each their own, I guess.  The Buick signature waterfall grille alone is enough of a deal breaker for me, let alone the soft cushy ride, underpowered engine for the weight and that bulbous exterior design.   

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 08:35:23 pm »
To each their own, I guess.  The Buick signature waterfall grille alone is enough of a deal breaker for me, let alone the soft cushy ride, underpowered engine for the weight and that bulbous exterior design.
I would not get this either in a million years, hate the way the market is going. Just get a proper hatch or wagon and reap the benefits I say. Won't stop me selling them like gangbusters to yuppies, new moms, and empty nesters though.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 09:28:24 pm »
It is GM phenomenon - they never learned to design and build themselfs compact cars in North America. All the time they use third side. With Suzuki as well Daewoo they made compacts and had catastrophic results about ten years ago and now the same process of integration goes on with small SUVs. This is the worse type of badge engineering in automotive industry.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:03 pm »
What's wrong with the market? People don't want wagons and/or hatchbacks but butt-ugly mini-SUV's that look like they've been stuck in a microwave are OK? Why would someone buy this instead of a Golf TDI or GTI even?
Good question ! Maybe these things are the first step in weaning the urban adventurers and soccer moms off their full size Denalis and Expeditions.
 Gee, I wonder if I could find any aftermarket chrome hood port holes to stick on my Golf wagon?

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 11:32:54 pm »
Make sure you post some pics... :)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 10:05:34 am »
   Firstly, I don't think that this little vehicle is butt ugly at all. Well designed to fill a niche in the market that I believe will become larger if anything. Putting this style on a short car is always going to be a chunkier looking design...it does not have the length of body to blend. That being said I think that in no time at all it will blend into the visual sences. I rather like the grille...not pretending to be that of a raging sportster...but rather what the vehicle is trying to be...comfort in a small package. The fact that it has a grille at all is to be applauded in an era of new cars that have mindless bland openings in the body frontage and it looks fine.
   I read that power is not enough and ask...for who? I would say more than adequate...it always is and wonder about remarks of this kind made about cars and do not cosider my driving to be nauseatingly boring. The remarks have never turned out to be right. My little Hyundai Accent was similarly slimed and yet it had plenty of power. So, enough power to enter the highway safely is all that is required here and this usually is enough for the occasional pass on B roads for safety conscious drivers. Enough power to hold top tranny speed on the highway at 120 km/ (a little leeway)...not including steeper up-grades.
   I would have thought that this would make a nice two door hatch at a cheaper entry price point. It could well be needed. I don't know about country of origin, or origin of design either. The Korean car I had was the most reliable car I have ever owned and any flaws here would be attributable to the offer'ers I would have thought again. I wish it well...and...make me a two door hatch.         Perhaps this is one area where we are not witnessing a race to the bottom but rather a race to a bit higher up. A welcome relief...even if not in the vein that we all would hope for.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:20:17 am by Rupert »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 10:54:45 am »
   Firstly, I don't think that this little vehicle is butt ugly at all. Well designed to fill a niche in the market that I believe will become larger if anything. Putting this style on a short car is always going to be a chunkier looking design...it does not have the length of body to blend. That being said I think that in no time at all it will blend into the visual sences. I rather like the grille...not pretending to be that of a raging sportster...but rather what the vehicle is trying to be...comfort in a small package. The fact that it has a grille at all is to be applauded in an era of new cars that have mindless bland openings in the body frontage and it looks fine.
   I read that power is not enough and ask...for who? I would say more than adequate...it always is and wonder about remarks of this kind made about cars and do not cosider my driving to be nauseatingly boring. The remarks have never turned out to be right. My little Hyundai Accent was similarly slimed and yet it had plenty of power. So, enough power to enter the highway safely is all that is required here and this usually is enough for the occasional pass on B roads for safety conscious drivers. Enough power to hold top tranny speed on the highway at 120 km/ (a little leeway)...not including steeper up-grades.
   I would have thought that this would make a nice two door hatch at a cheaper entry price point. It could well be needed. I don't know about country of origin, or origin of design either. The Korean car I had was the most reliable car I have ever owned and any flaws here would be attributable to the offer'ers I would have thought again. I wish it well...and...make me a two door hatch.         Perhaps this is one area where we are not witnessing a race to the bottom but rather a race to a bit higher up. A welcome relief...even if not in the vein that we all would hope for.

well put sir. I agree. The Trax, its hillbilly twin, has enough power for freeway entry and passing on 2 lane roads I find. Not much more than that, but it is adequate. Want to see slow? Look at just about anything from the Hyundai/Kia stable without a turbocharger - first 2 gears are zippy, then they fall of a cliff [looking at you Soul].

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 11:13:34 am »
Count me in as liking this and the Trax, saw a Trax yesterday and looks much better than in pictures.  Should fill the void for the Vibe.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:50 am »
Want to see slow? Look at just about anything from the Hyundai/Kia stable without a turbocharger - first 2 gears are zippy, then they fall of a cliff [looking at you Soul].

Easy solution to that problem - get it with a stick!!  Then you can always keep it in the meat of the powerband...  Too bad HyunKia are dropping the M/T option in many of their models now, or only keeping it in the base versions.  I'm pretty sure my Elantra Touring will be my last Korean car (for the forseeable future anyway) - which is too bad, because my wife and I both REALLY like it.  But nothing in their current lineup meets my needs/wants (sorry Force...)

As for the Encore - I'm interested to see how it sells compared to the Trax and the other subcompact CUVs.  I suspect it will sell very poorly in Canada, as the Trax is likely to have better pricing (and possibly better availability from dealers?)  But without the Trax in the US, the Encore might do very well there.  I'd much rather spend my own money on a quicker, better handling Sonic LTZ - higher ride height, part-time AWD, and a few extra features don't justify the poorer driving dynamics and extra 10K for me.  But I can see why other folks would be interested in a "right-sized" CUV with good mileage. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 11:48:10 am »
Want to see slow? Look at just about anything from the Hyundai/Kia stable without a turbocharger - first 2 gears are zippy, then they fall of a cliff [looking at you Soul].

I wouldn't describe any Hyundai I have driven with the 2.4l 4 cylinder to be slow.  Neither would I describe the Elantra with the 1.8l in those terms.  Probably the non-turbo Veloster is the only Hyundai I have driven that I would call slow.  Now for slow, just drive any non-GS Regal.  There's your 'slow' right there.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 12:05:51 pm »
SaskSpecV, I have a real soft spot for great all-around daily drivers, and the Touring is one of my favourites.  I had an Elantra hatch with a stick last fall, and while the shifter is a bit nebulous, it's a nice little car to zip around the city. Not as engaging as the Mazda2 mind you, but I wouldn't shoo it away if it turned up on my doorstep.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 12:16:12 pm »
SaskSpecV, I have a real soft spot for great all-around daily drivers, and the Touring is one of my favourites.  I had an Elantra hatch with a stick last fall, and while the shifter is a bit nebulous, it's a nice little car to zip around the city. Not as engaging as the Mazda2 mind you, but I wouldn't shoo it away if it turned up on my doorstep.

Elantra Touring or GT?  I really like the interior of the new GT, but it's definitely a fair bit less versatile than the Touring is.  If Hyundai dropped their 1.6L turbo in it I might make the compromise in space for the extra power - but certainlynot for the base 1.8L.  The ET's 2.0L is no superstar, but it pulls a little stronger than the meagre specs would suggest (and can easily match the NRC fuel economy too!).  As for the shifter - the B&M shorft shifter on my ET fixed the "nebulous" feel!  Can't fix the lack of steering feel though...that's where your Mazda2 (or 3, or 5, or pretty much any Mazda!) would crush it.