Author Topic: Battery Charger  (Read 627 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Battery Charger
« on: March 31, 2024, 07:42:22 pm »
I Left the Highlanders interior lights on and the battery is drained.

I hooked up my old Motomaster charger and it started making a loud buzzing noise and the charging current dropped to zero. I figure it's toast.

I don't use it on a regular basis. Just to charge the Highlander when a door gets left open, and maybe top up the boat's battery in the spring.

What charger do I want?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Battery Charger
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 08:03:48 pm »
This is the one I usually use,CTEK makes good durable stuff
https://www.amazon.ca/CTEK-40-206-5-0-12-Battery-Charger/dp/B00CD44RQO?th=1
Mr Pickypants

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 08:44:11 pm »
I Left the Highlanders interior lights on and the battery is drained.

I hooked up my old Motomaster charger and it started making a loud buzzing noise and the charging current dropped to zero. I figure it's toast.

I don't use it on a regular basis. Just to charge the Highlander when a door gets left open, and maybe top up the boat's battery in the spring.

What charger do I want?

Costco Barrhaven had the Battery Tender brand on clearance last week, $39.97 IIRC.

I use a NOCO, works great.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 10:11:36 pm »
I use a NOCO Genius 5

Very pleased with it.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 10:39:26 am »
What charger do I want?

Why limit yourself with single rate chargers. And I have a slew of CTEK and Optimate charger/maintainers as well.

Recommended to me by my ex-workers when I worked in a battery lab. Looked at it, saw plenty of YouTube reviews and bought it off Amazon.ca for about the same price as those single rate chargers.

The SOLAR PRO-LOGIX PL2320 by Clore Automotive has so many features that others do not have.
Note, prior to December 2023, battery types were GEL, AGM, STD (what I have). After that battery types were STD, AGM, LiFe. You might get either, so ask.
I like the fact I can pick 2A, 10A and 20A charge rates plus their Power Supply feature when working on vehicles.

Info, Owner's Manual and Info Sheet...
https://cloreautomotive.com/product/pl2320/
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.