Author Topic: How to Reduce Your Automotive Footprint  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: How to Reduce Your Automotive Footprint
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 04:12:40 pm »
whatever it is called, it is real, it is happening right now, and it is going to get really dire really quick
Dire Climate Change.  It's like regular climate change, only more dire!

Meh, whatever it is, it's not our problem - our kids are :censor: though.  ;D

(note the sarcasm)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 04:22:36 pm »

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 04:49:48 pm »
The increasingly unstable and unpredicable weather worldwide is one of many signs of climate change.

Where I live in Germany and most of western Europe is gonna get much colder  >:( . Already we had an exceptionally cold March !
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 05:36:06 pm »
the wild weather is screwing up the animals, so much so that their natural balance is getting more and more out of sync. If it gets too out of sync, the whole house of cards comes falling down.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-223847-4-.htm
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 05:24:37 pm »
the wild weather is screwing up the animals, so much so that their natural balance is getting more and more out of sync. If it gets too out of sync, the whole house of cards comes falling down.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-223847-4-.htm

You linked a Kelowna news site!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2018, 06:10:17 pm »
whatever it is called, it is real, it is happening right now, and it is going to get really dire really quick

effects are being seen already: sea turtles are going to be extinct soon, the oceans are going to die off due to acidification and temperature variations, fisheries are being fished to nothing, massive extreme weather shifts due to changing ocean temperatures, the oceans are mostly plastic now, deserts are growing at an exponential rate, crustaceans cant form proper hard shells, etc. etc. Nature doesn't like changes, and when it does, things die on a massive scale.

I am a tree hugger, but even I know that reducing your automotive footprint is not really going to do anything on its own. Yes, it is nice if you can make some changes, but honestly, civilian transportation in cars is a tiny piece of a big puzzle.
don't worry, nature has a way of balancing things out...in a few decades, when the polar ice caps melt, bacteria that has been dormant in ice and permafrost for hundreds of thousands of years will be re-released into our environment, and humans will be unable to manage it...it will cause a mass extinction like event for mankind (or personkind if you prefer) and wipe out 3/4 of human population, bringing our numbers more in-line with how the planet can manage our existence.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2018, 12:07:49 am »

Lifetime is 9.6, but I can get it down to 8.0 (my average from Toronto-Detroit-Toronto last month). That's using calculations, though the indicated in the car's computer isn't far off.

You're in Detroit and you don't hit me up?  I know I'm not likeable, but geez.... :stick:

Wait, what? I thought you were in like Kitchener... where are you located?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2018, 02:13:52 am »

effects are being seen already: sea turtles are going to be extinct soon, the oceans are going to die off due to acidification and temperature variations, fisheries are being fished to nothing, massive extreme weather shifts due to changing ocean temperatures, the oceans are mostly plastic now, deserts are growing at an exponential rate, crustaceans cant form proper hard shells, etc. etc. Nature doesn't like changes, and when it does, things die on a massive scale.

I am a tree hugger, but even I know that reducing your automotive footprint is not really going to do anything on its own. Yes, it is nice if you can make some changes, but honestly, civilian transportation in cars is a tiny piece of a big puzzle.

The oceans are mostly plastic? There is plastic in the ocean but mostly? Like 51%?  Is this by volume or weight?  ;D  Things have been dying off on massive scales long before humans showed up. I think you underestimate Mother Earth. She will be doing just fine long after the humans are gone. What does over fishing have to do with climate and emissions?  Perhaps humans are just on a boom bust cycle like rabbits and lemmings. We kill all our food sources most of us die and then things recover and around we go again. How do you twist the key on your Alfa every morning? Every time you do a baby penguin (or turtle dies).

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 06:31:42 am »

The oceans are mostly plastic? There is plastic in the ocean but mostly? Like 51%?  Is this by volume or weight?  ;D  Things have been dying off on massive scales long before humans showed up. I think you underestimate Mother Earth. She will be doing just fine long after the humans are gone. What does over fishing have to do with climate and emissions?  Perhaps humans are just on a boom bust cycle like rabbits and lemmings. We kill all our food sources most of us die and then things recover and around we go again. How do you twist the key on your Alfa every morning? Every time you do a baby penguin (or turtle dies).
didnt read what I wrote did you? I said automotive footprint is a small piece of a huge puzzle, and the less than 5K I have put on the Alfa in 5 years is not a factor.

The whole goal of reducing your automotive footprint is to reduce the impact on the environment, so yes those other factors are important.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2018, 08:13:25 am »

Lifetime is 9.6, but I can get it down to 8.0 (my average from Toronto-Detroit-Toronto last month). That's using calculations, though the indicated in the car's computer isn't far off.

You're in Detroit and you don't hit me up?  I know I'm not likeable, but geez.... :stick:

Wait, what? I thought you were in like Kitchener... where are you located?
Near Windsor!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 03:50:58 pm »
I'm catching Quadzilla's drift that I should try to ride my bicycle to work every so often. Especially in Kelowna. Edmonton doesn't seem to have as many good cycling routes.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 07:45:32 pm »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2018, 10:23:30 pm »
don't worry, nature has a way of balancing things out...in a few decades, when the polar ice caps melt, bacteria that has been dormant in ice and permafrost for hundreds of thousands of years will be re-released into our environment, and humans will be unable to manage it...it will cause a mass extinction like event for mankind (or personkind if you prefer) and wipe out 3/4 of human population, bringing our numbers more in-line with how the planet can manage our existence.

So you are saying better start spending like there is no tomorrow.   Expecting a surge in the show and shine.  ;D

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2018, 11:08:04 pm »

So you are saying better start spending like there is no tomorrow.   Expecting a surge in the show and shine.  ;D

I helped it a little bit...my RS city driving average - 17.3L/100km lol blame the popping....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2018, 07:52:17 am »
I'm catching Quadzilla's drift that I should try to ride my bicycle to work every so often. Especially in Kelowna. Edmonton doesn't seem to have as many good cycling routes.

Smart man. Let me know how it goes.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD