Author Topic: Toyota Sienna head restraints  (Read 6914 times)

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
Toyota Sienna head restraints
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:52:46 am »
They aren't headrests, they are safety equipment.

We tried out a 2017 Sienna and our two teenagers could not sit comfortably in the middle row. As fully grown, thicker adult, I can sit in the same seats without a problem. But if you are between 5' and 5'6" and thinner, your head lines up with where the head restraint sits, angled forward from the seat at about 30 degrees, so your head is pushed forward at an awkward angle. Great for reading a book in your lap, or bracing for a collision, but incredibly uncomfortable for any length of time.

Tellingly, one of the headrests (restraints, I know...) was turned backwards when we test drove it. You aren't supposed to do that or remove them because that will compromise passenger safety.

Toyota discussion groups talk about tilting the seat back or adding a foam back support, but that's ridiculous. Besides, driving with your seat reclined to any significant angle is also a safety hazard. In a collision, your lap belt is going to slide above your hips and crush your internal organs.

'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Toyota Sienna head restraints
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:56:18 am »
Test driving new minivans?  Get the Pacifica Hybrid with the $14K rebate. :)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +266/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:56:06 pm »
I like the active head restraints, where they are pushed back during normal use, but in a collision, your body gets pushed back into the seat which then pushes the headrest forward to minimize whiplash.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:49 pm »
It's becoming a pet peeve of mine, as I like a "straight-up" driving position. My 2012 Odyssey is right at my tolerance limit. Worst offender I drove was a 1st-gen Kia Rondo rental, gave me a neck pain that lasted three more days than the rental.

Headrests were fine in the 2018 Ody I reviewed.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 09:57:20 am »
Unfortunately between that issue with the headrests as well as incompatibility with a lot of child car seats (including the 4 I already own), I've pretty much written the Sienna off of my shopping list.  Despite the fact that I think it is the highest quality minivan I've tested (in XLE or higher trim).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 04:40:29 pm »
Unfortunately between that issue with the headrests as well as incompatibility with a lot of child car seats (including the 4 I already own), I've pretty much written the Sienna off of my shopping list.  Despite the fact that I think it is the highest quality minivan I've tested (in XLE or higher trim).

With my first minivans (2003 Ody and 2004 MPV), I simply removed and stored the headrests while the child seats were installed. It's going to be the same for just about any vehicle - just avoid fixed headrests. They are not needed, the kids are protected by their seats.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 05:29:33 pm »

How can a Sienna be incompatible with a child seat?  Isn't one of the prime purposes of a minivan the ability to fit child seats...? 

I'm not doubting you, just incredulous that it could be the case...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:36:00 pm »
As I said, you’ Supposed to remove the headrests to fit child seats. That’s normal, not a design issue.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 10:15:28 am »
But, why?

Here we have a large childseat installed with the headrest in place.

If you need to take the headrest off just to use a childseat, you then need to find a place to store it.  If you store it in your garage, then you don't have it if you're already out and decide to remove the childseat and use the position as an actual chair.  If you keep it in the van, then it's always there, rolling around. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 08:31:52 pm »
I kept them in a box in the garage. Adult passengers were welcomed to the spacious 3rd row. With some RTFM, you should find that most manufacturers usually have a proper spot to "park" the headrests. In my 2nd gen Ody, there was a netted cubby designed for that in the left trunk wall. Siennas have storage back there for the 2nd row central (and tiny) seat. With the MPV, grooves were designed to hold the 2nd row headrests when the 3rd row was down.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 09:11:55 pm »
Whenever I put a child seat in a car I remove the headrest.  I just find it easier.  They are in drawer in the basement.    So in both vans, the 2nd row has no head rests. 

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 08:50:00 am »

How can a Sienna be incompatible with a child seat?  Isn't one of the prime purposes of a minivan the ability to fit child seats...? 

I'm not doubting you, just incredulous that it could be the case...

I had the same thought as you.  I'll have to check with my wife.....she's been researching this on some car seat forums. 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 11:03:41 am »
I keep both my headrests in my MDX's 2nd row seats with Diono Ranier car seats installed.  I just adjust the headrest a bit higher for the seat to sit better. No need to take them out and store them.
I don't find it restricts rearward visibility enough to need to take them out.  YMMV.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 01:04:49 pm »
I have two different britax seats in my civic and I removed the headrests to make accessing the anchor a bit easier. It would've been doable with the headrests in place, but why make it harder than it already is with a small 2 door?

In my wife's Acadia the rear captain seats have non-removable head rests so they stay. I did remove the armrests to increase the width between the captains seats. Not like the kids can use the armrests from their car seats.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD