Author Topic: Stupid Vancouver winter!!! A/S or Snow?!  (Read 4833 times)

ghost

Stupid Vancouver winter!!! A/S or Snow?!
« on: December 13, 2005, 11:27:27 pm »
OK, so when I lived in Toronto, its a simple choice, snow tires or slide like a fool. Since we moved here and living in d/t Vancouver, I've yet to experience any serious snow. Its wet flurries thus far unless I venture out to the 'burbs or N. Van. Problem is I have a set of summer tires on the 92X. I'm thinking of replacing it with a set of All-season (never thought I'd say this!!!) since space is premium in our little condo. I don't really see a great need for dedicated winter tires in this mild weather. But would hate to "step-down" from summer performance tires to some all-season donuts. Please provide input especially you BC folks!

robarakira

Re: Stupid Vancouver winter!!! A/S or Snow?!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 11:40:22 pm »
If you've got some cash, keep a set of deticated summers then get the Nokian WRs.  They are winters that will drive more like all seasons and live just as long.  That was my plan, however I think I'll end up with just sticking with all seasons.

I would suggest you get some good all seasons (a higher speed rating) and use them in the winter.  Burn up the good summers in the next summer(s) and you can eventually just keep the all seasons on.  Also being AWD, you have little need for winters here, and they would really just wear down quickly in our mild climate and dry roads.

All seasons are fine for 99% of winter driving here, but summers could give you some troubles in hilly areas. 

Good luck and keep us updated.

morty

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 11:59:28 pm »
Also being AWD, you have little need for winters here, and they would really just wear down quickly in our mild climate and dry roads.

AWD doesnt help with braking. Although we dont get as much snow; when we do it is slippery and nasty. If you rely on your vehicle no matter the weather conditions then dedicated snows are the way to go. If you can park it on the snow days then the all-seasons are good. From my experience driving a properly snow tire equipped AWD in the snow can be more fun than driving the best UHP tire in the summer dry. IMO that is the fun of the AWD.

robarakira

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:30:56 am »
Also being AWD, you have little need for winters here, and they would really just wear down quickly in our mild climate and dry roads.

AWD doesnt help with braking. Although we dont get as much snow; when we do it is slippery and nasty. If you rely on your vehicle no matter the weather conditions then dedicated snows are the way to go. If you can park it on the snow days then the all-seasons are good. From my experience driving a properly snow tire equipped AWD in the snow can be more fun than driving the best UHP tire in the summer dry. IMO that is the fun of the AWD.

I think the only real need for winters here on the West Coast is for getting up hills and getting started, and for those actions AWD with all seasons are great.  If you are on a budget, all seasons will serve fine for stopping and turning in our mildness given you prepare well in advance.  Ideally winters should be used for every car that will see below zero temperatures; however, I often find it hard to justify them for 2 snow days per year.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 02:52:40 am »
Even some people in Edmonton thinks it is unnecessary to have dedicated winter tires.  :o Different tires for the car is like different shoes for playing different sports.  ;D

When I was in Calgary, there was a shop also stored tires for customers for FREE when they do the change over, as long as one of the sets is bought from them. Not sure if anybody else offers that service anywhere. 4 tires in a Condo will stink up the whole place, unless there is a storage room in the parkade. It would be a tough decision to make when there isn't sufficient storage.

ghost

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:16:39 pm »
Don't get me wrong. I used to have a set of snow tires with my RS when I was in Toronto. Sold them off along with my beloved RS. But here... especially where we are in d/t Vancity, I really don't see any situations when I really need snows. Last week we went up to West Van. and eventhough there were snow/ice, the roads are plowed. Didnt have any 'situations'. And until I am rich enough to live by the British Properties, I'm sure I'll have snows to go with my Gallardo AWD.  ::)  So what A/S tires do you recommend in Vancouver?

morty

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 02:16:29 pm »
When it snows in Vancouver, it is always the people that figure they dont need winter tires that end up in the accidents. Again, if you can park it; A/S are great anywhere. If you need it no matter; winter tires are the way to go.

ghost

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 04:09:25 pm »
If that's the case, I guess I should just buy the set of winters from a club member. Hmm... was thinking to to go to Tiretrends for a set of Exalto A/S. cheers!

davidm

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 05:45:14 pm »
I do the winter thing partially because I do the summer tire thing.  My Dunlop Wintersport M3's have been superb in the dry and >0 wet (as well as the snow and slush).  Very happy with the tire as a regular performance tire.

Never found an A/S tire that made me happy in the wet at +15*C let alone +1*C.  But I'm picky and I have the space.

oversteer

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 06:08:24 pm »
BFG Traction T/A or Toyo Proxes 4 maybe?  I'm all for dedicated winters, but I do understand that having an extra set of tires lying around is a real problem when space is at a premium.  Can you store them in a friend's garage or basement?

morty

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 12:30:13 am »
Traction T/A is a better all weather tire. The Proxes 4 has the edge in performance.

robarakira

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 02:09:49 am »
if you can park it; A/S are great anywhere.

Park it?? I crave going out and doing donuts in the white stuff, testing the car's abilities and such (all seasons or not).  IMO safe winter driving means defensive driving from other poorly equipped drivers/cars.

twism

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 05:14:32 am »
Tell that to all the people who were shown in the news/newspaper in an accident when we had snow. I know some were due to people driving fast speeds on coqahailla highway. Yours/somebody elses life/car isnt worth a 1 time purchase of winter tires that last many many years with vancouvers 2 days of snow a year.

robarakira

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 10:51:46 am »
vancouvers 2 days of snow a year.

BAhahahaha.   Thank you for confirming my point.  We had 2 days of measurable snow here this winter, and I came across no ice on the roads.  Winter tires need not apply.

weebl

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 11:05:41 am »
vancouvers 2 days of snow a year.

BAhahahaha.   Thank you for confirming my point.  We had 2 days of measurable snow here this winter, and I came across no ice on the roads.  Winter tires need not apply.

I still used them in Vancouver in the last few years that I lived there.  Sure, this year, you guys have been exceptionally wet over there (probably boats would have been a better vehicle choice than cars), but in other years, there was enough frost and ice on the backroads that it made sense for me to have winter tires on.

And the couple of days a year it did snow?  I could drive anywhere like there was nothing on the ground while everyone else were spinning wheels and sliding into ditches.  Worth it to me, especially since one summer plus one winter set of tires really don't cost anything different than going through two sets of "three-season" tires.  In my case, it was actually cheaper overall since I minus-1 sized my winters.

robarakira

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 01:16:53 pm »
The question remains whether Ghost ended up buying the winters, and whether he regrets it.