Author Topic: Spots on the X5  (Read 9078 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Spots on the X5
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 03:59:55 pm »
My Civic has it too. I can't imagine how much true rail dust could have been around it since it was assembled less than 50km from where I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
People call it rail dust.

But it's industrial fallout/contamination/"acid rain".

The vast majority is in fact rail dust.  It's why you virtually only see it on the bottom half of your car.  If it was acid rain you'd see it all over your vehicle.  But that's typically not the case.

Yup. Exclusively on my lower panels and. Nothing at all on hood or trunk
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 05:03:44 pm »
My Civic has it too. I can't imagine how much true rail dust could have been around it since it was assembled less than 50km from where I bought it.

The vast majority is in fact rail dust.  It's why you virtually only see it on the bottom half of your car.  If it was acid rain you'd see it all over your vehicle.  But that's typically not the case.

Depends where you live of course.

Where I live, I'd say the vast majority is industrial fallout as opposed to true rail dust. 

But it's all the same....teeny metal particles fouling the paint.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:06:13 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 05:31:02 pm »

Where I live, I'd say the vast majority is industrial fallout as opposed to true rail dust. 

So vehicles where you live have bonded metal contaminants all over the vehicle, including rood, hood, etc?   With the Country's largest Refinery, a Tissue mill, and a Nuclear generation station in Saint John, I'm thinking I would of been seen this on my vehicles before. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 05:55:25 pm »

So vehicles where you live have bonded metal contaminants all over the vehicle, including rood, hood, etc?   With the Country's largest Refinery, a Tissue mill, and a Nuclear generation station in Saint John, I'm thinking I would of been seen this on my vehicles before.

No, you may be confusing the general term "industrial fallout" with acid rain (ie on roof).  Instead of coming from railcars, the teeny metal particulates here come from all manner of industrial use where steel is the primary raw material used. And there are many, many (~300) in the area far outnumbering any sort of local rail travel (as opposed to say downtown Toronto, where railway travel of all manner is nearly constant and abundant).  Tool shops, metal suppliers, metal recyclers (we have a huge metal recycler smack dab in the middle of town), etc etc.  I know for certain the metal particulates on my car come from industrial fallout right from my parking lot here at work. 

Please refer to the photo below.  That is from one of the bins from my machine.  We have 14 such machines here...and we are a small-medium shop.  These steel particles are about the size of a gran of sand...and smaller.  I can easily move these just by blowing on them.  These are stored in massive open air containers outside.  Let your imagination do the rest.  And this is only one part of our large industrial footprint in the area.  Also note the really, really small particulates on the paper...looks like rail dust, eh? Only this steel hasn't rusted yet.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 11:08:33 am »
Pulled the trigger on this.  Hopefully it does the job, the reviews are generally good but people claim that Iron-X is a bit better.  This was cheaper though.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sonax-513200-740-Fallout-Cleaner-500ml/dp/B018S2GU6E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Noticed Monday after washing the car that the lower portion of the doors are covered in rail dust. I'll report back once the weather warms up.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2018, 12:44:25 pm »
Pulled the trigger on this.  Hopefully it does the job, the reviews are generally good but people claim that Iron-X is a bit better.  This was cheaper though.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sonax-513200-740-Fallout-Cleaner-500ml/dp/B018S2GU6E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Noticed Monday after washing the car that the lower portion of the doors are covered in rail dust. I'll report back once the weather warms up.

I'm sure the Sonax will be fine.  Their full effect wheel cleaner is awesome.  Plus it doesn't stink like IronX

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:37 am »
My white BMW has these brown spots from iron particles present. Very hard to remove. I had trouble even with clay bar. Most prevalent area is the lower part of body where road spray hits the body.

I just tried a product called Auto Glym Magma. I can report it works very well. You first wash your car and dry it. Then spray this stuff all over the car (wheels, glass, everything). Wait 5 minutes or so. Every contaminate in the paint reacts and turns purple. My car which is wash and waxed regularly had purple show up all over it.  You then wash the car again. You cannot just hose this stuff off. You have to use a wash mitt with car soap and give it a good scrub.

I waxed the car after and found no traces of the brown spots. I was really impressed. After the wax the paint felt very very smooth.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autoglym-magma-0396166p.html

There are some u tube videos showing it being used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU-LJsmfupo

It is expensive at $18.00. Some say that that one bottle can do 2 cars. I used 3/4 of a bottle on my car but maybe I went overboard a bit. Anyways in my opinion it worked so well it is worth it. I got it on sale for about $15.00.

I used it on a hot sunny day. The stuff dried very quickly on the car. Maybe doing in shade would be better. Also the brakes grind a bit for firsts couple stops after use because of this stuffs reaction to the iron on the discs. That problem clears up quickly.

It seems to me like this is virtually like a spray-on clay bar. I find it so much easier than claying the car and in my opinion more effective.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:19:31 am by slybry »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:35 am »
It is WAY less expensive than paying a detailer to remove those spots. I just got a bottle. It had bee sold out at Canadian Tire for over a month.  Ill use it before winter hits and again in the spring. Glad to know it worked out well for you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:22:30 am by Jaeger »