Author Topic: Used Honda Accord 2015  (Read 2529 times)

Offline newtocars

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hyundai Excent
Used Honda Accord 2015
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:46:55 pm »
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so please forgive me for any mistakes that I make. So, I want to buy a used car in Oshawa, Ontario and wanted to get some advice prior to buying it. I don't know much about cars and it will be my first car in Canada. I am currently looking at two different 2015 Honda Accords, one is EX-L and the other one is a sport with 105,000kms and 97000kms on them respectively. It will be my first car so I am a little nervous and clueless about what to do to make sure that the vehicle I choose is a good one. Please provide me with your valuable feedback. I appreciate all the help I can get, thanks in advance.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
Re: Used Honda Accord 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:17:11 pm »
What is a "Hyundai Excent" ?

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 05:23:51 pm »
Your going after a good car in a Honda Accord. The mileage on the cars are reasonable. So that is a good start. I personally like to look for 2nd hand cars with extremely low KMS.

The primary thing is to find a good local mechanic that will inspect the car before you buy it. Watch for signs that car has more mileage that recorded on odometer. Watch for paint failing on roof hood and trunk. I have seen a ton of Honda products with paint failures. Have you mechanic look (and you should as well) for any signs of re-paint. Could indicate an accidented car. Watch for variations if paint colour from one body panel to the other.

Do not overlook the condition of tires. Tire are expensive so if tire are close to end of their life your going to be shelling out hundreds of dollars very soon. Also does the car have winter tires included. Are they on their own rims. A great deal is not so great if you have to buy 8 new tires.

Find out how many owner the car has had. Best to buy a car that has had only one owner.

Finally are you buying from a dealer. I prefer private as you meet who owns and drive the car. It is more likely you will see the car as it really is before being all cleaned and minor defects covered by a dealer. You also get to see how the person lives. In Quebec you save tax buying private. Do not get excited by a "Power Train Warranty". I have driven for over 40 years and have only done one repair that would be considered a power train problem.

I wish you good luck.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 05:56:24 pm »
Don't necessarily believe those mileage figures.

A friend's FIL recently sold his old Accord with close to 300k on it for $4k.   A week or so later he gets a call from MTO, there seems to be some discrepancy with the mileage and price as the new owner is trying to register it with 90k on it and a price of $10k that they just paid for it.

The FIL said he sold it to "some east-indian guy who seemed a bit fishy, said he was going to tow it but showed up with dealer plates and drove off,  said he was from Ottawa but left here for Toronto".  Seems he never registered it in his name, rolled back the odometer and sold it a couple days later in Toronto to some unsuspecting buyer.

Take it to a trusted mechanic and have them give it a once over before you buy anything.

The mileage figures on the ones you're looking at look reasonable, but it's still an indicator of what goes on.
Where are you looking at buying these Accords?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:58:56 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

CAcarfreak66

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 09:59:39 am »
Hi

Due to having some experience in that area, I totally agree with slybry and blur911. This is tricky but if anyone tampered with it a good technician is able to find that gap. Also make sure to look at the full picture below the car, the best way is to put it on the car lift as you see more, how the situation looks from below speaks volumes (check for rust, old parts, missing coverage etc.)

Also make sure you get the motor check thoroughly. Some dealers tend to also over price their sell for the state of quality they offer. The lower the km the better, then all repairs and maintenance start at over 100'000 km but there are still good quality cars out there that last a long time.

Good luck on your findings

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 08:08:14 pm »

Of some relevance, I visited India a couple of years ago, just pre-COVID, to get tailored up for my wedding. They have a Hyundai Accent, and also a much smaller, cheaper model (sub-subcompact) called the Xcent. I was surprised. That said, I guarantee this bot doesn't have a single one of those.

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline LanderGX

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 12:05:19 am »

Of some relevance, I visited India a couple of years ago, just pre-COVID, to get tailored up for my wedding. They have a Hyundai Accent, and also a much smaller, cheaper model (sub-subcompact) called the Xcent. I was surprised. That said, I guarantee this bot doesn't have a single one of those.

That looks fun to drive!