Author Topic: Preview: 2014 Jeep Cherokee  (Read 22610 times)

Offline Longblades

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chev Silverado, Ford F150
Re: Preview: 2014 Jeep Cherokee
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2013, 12:56:15 pm »
Stupid email contact facility doesn't work.  It insists I put in a VIN number even though I tick the box to say NO, this is not about my vehicle.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2013, 10:14:41 am »
Can anyone actually put their hands on the 2014 Cherokee?  If certain measurements don't fit my needs then I can look elsewhere.  Ontario Chrysler has not bothered to respond. 

So, what's the height of the opening at the back liftgate door?  I need to get a dog crate 30" high x 24" wide x 36" long in there.

With the back seats folded down is that area flat?  Like flat as my dining room table?  My current 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee is flat and level.  So was the 2013 Ford Escape parked next to me at the dog park yesterday and it's opening was a generous 37 inches high.

Can anyone provide this information?  Do you know Jeep.ca does not seem to have an email contact box?

We can put in orders soon, but until then, you have to go to car shows and such. the way its been for a long time now! if i get to go to a product launch or something, i'll take my tape measure and do some preliminary stuff for you. 

until then, www.allpar.com has the most comprehensive info on it i've found. http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014-cherokee.html

quite frankly, guys answering those e-mails probably aren't even in the country, let alone standing beside one of the 20 or so they've built which may not be to final specs.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »
I saw one of these in the flesh last week down in Utah: not exactly my style, but it didn't look as bad as I was expecting from the pictures.

It was part of a Jeep product display and seemed a bit less out of place than the Compass and Patriot parked off to the side. A soccer-mom behind me actually exclaimed "OMG, look at that one - it's so cool!"

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2013, 01:17:32 pm »
I saw one of these in the flesh last week down in Utah: not exactly my style, but it didn't look as bad as I was expecting from the pictures.

It was part of a Jeep product display and seemed a bit less out of place than the Compass and Patriot parked off to the side. A soccer-mom behind me actually exclaimed "OMG, look at that one - it's so cool!"

You were at the Easter Jeep Safari??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2013, 01:25:13 pm »

Yup, we go down almost every year. Not specifically for the Safari, we just happen to be there at the same time.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2013, 01:26:43 pm »

Yup, we go down almost every year. Not specifically for the Safari, we just happen to be there at the same time.

:o  :bow: :fall: Thats like my Mecca....one day I will have to make the pilgrimage down there. Thats like every Jeep guys playboy mansion  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2013, 01:31:51 pm »

:o  :bow: :fall: Thats like my Mecca....one day I will have to make the pilgrimage down there. Thats like every Jeep guys playboy mansion  ;D

LOL! I thought of you while I was down there. It's definitely a cool event and well worth attending.

The company that makes those Jeep pickup bed conversions was there and had a couple on display. Pretty sharp looking truck, but it was quite a bit bigger than I had expected it to be. Sorry, didn't stop to snap any pics.

I do have a pic of a real Cherokee doing some rock crawling. Will post it when I find the camera (still unpacking).

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2013, 01:15:19 pm »
Hmmm... guess it was a Grand Cherokee, not a Cherokee.

On the Fins and Things trail:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2013, 01:27:43 pm »
MMMM....ZJ with Dana 44 axles and 35" tires....uuuuuuaaaahhhh!!  :love:

Offline Longblades

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chev Silverado, Ford F150
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 08:44:32 am »
Can anyone actually put their hands on the 2014 Cherokee?  If certain measurements don't fit my needs then I can look elsewhere.  Ontario Chrysler has not bothered to respond. 

So, what's the height of the opening at the back liftgate door?  I need to get a dog crate 30" high x 24" wide x 36" long in there.

With the back seats folded down is that area flat?  Like flat as my dining room table?  My current 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee is flat and level.  So was the 2013 Ford Escape parked next to me at the dog park yesterday and it's opening was a generous 37 inches high.

Can anyone provide this information?  Do you know Jeep.ca does not seem to have an email contact box?

We can put in orders soon, but until then, you have to go to car shows and such. the way its been for a long time now! if i get to go to a product launch or something, i'll take my tape measure and do some preliminary stuff for you.  

until then, www.allpar.com has the most comprehensive info on it i've found. http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014-cherokee.html

quite frankly, guys answering those e-mails probably aren't even in the country, let alone standing beside one of the 20 or so they've built which may not be to final specs.

Thanks.  I did find this:

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/44396126/2014-Jeep-Cherokee-Technical-Specifications.pdf

Down near the bottom it appears that the back liftgate might open about 2 inches more than my JGC, or 32 inches instead of just 30.  And that will work.  But I still can't see if the floor lies flat when the back seats are folded

Offline Stilllovetrucks

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: NOW: '07 F150 xlt, PREVIOUS: '99 S70, '97 Impreza, '92 Dakota, '98 Forester, '92 & '99 Cherokees, '80 200sx, '87 Nissan pickup XE, '66 F-85
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 03:45:08 pm »
I liked my '01 Cherokee better :P.  Not sure about the front end.  Front end styling has turned me off a number of recent Jeeps - including the outgoing Liberty.

Hell yeah, this.....thing should have not been branded a Cherokee. I know Chrysler loves ruining names from the past.....but come on, one of your best selling lines?!?!?!!? This ugly, fwd, CUV thing doesnt deserve a Cherokee badge.  :hurl: Cherokees come in two flavours:

SJ 1974-1983

XJ 1984-2001

This pathetic, Dart based thing is just embarassing!! Yes, i have owned XJs before and this new one just makes my blood boil!!!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Lovin the TRUCK !!!

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »
Great picture of the original Cherokee. Makes current Grand Cherokees looks so bland. 

I'm really disappointed they dumbed down the Cherokee too.  Instead of designing a new better XJ they just listened to the marketing guys who think a jeep is just a grill and a name. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2013, 04:56:27 pm »

Time and technology march on. The XJ was fine for 1980s technology, but that's where it belongs.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 05:17:09 pm »

Time and technology march on. The XJ was fine for 1980s technology, but that's where it belongs.

Yeah.  Back in the 80's when even dying AMC knew a SUV had to be a truck first and a family wagon second.  The idea worked so well they sold millions of them and Jeep kept selling them long after their best before date.  I guess Jeep realizes they lack the ability to match AMC in concept design so a Jeepish grill on a Dart wagon is what we get.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2013, 06:00:23 pm »

Yeah.  Back in the 80's when even dying AMC knew a SUV had to be a truck first and a family wagon second.  The idea worked so well they sold millions of them and Jeep kept selling them long after their best before date.  I guess Jeep realizes they lack the ability to match AMC in concept design so a Jeepish grill on a Dart wagon is what we get.

Back in the 70s when the XJ ws first being planned out, AMC had to rely on Renault for most of the engineering. When the XJ first came out the off road guys hated it. They whined just like you're doing about the sissification of the Jeep brand etc. They wet through similar spasms when the YJ replaced the CJ, "Square headlights? Bent Grill? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE". It was just that dumb, and one of the reasons they switched back to round headlights and a flat grill for the TJ.

This Cherokee has got more power, ground clearance, better approach, departure and breakover angles, a 9 speed automatic, high and low range, traction and stability control, a body about 3000% more rigid than the wet linguini XJ ever had, a nice roomy interior with better cargo space and it won't fold up in an accident like a Bud Light can.

You can deny it all you want, but this is better out of the box than the XJ.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2013, 06:09:52 pm »

:iagree:

People bemoaned the shrunken 'new' XJ Cherokee but it was a (then modern day) necessity.  The YJ was a shrunken head compared to the CJ it replaced.   CAFE standards limit manufacturers flexibility and BOF is an automotive dinosaur for most all/application in 2013.

FWIW, the four door Wrangler is always available if the Cherokee name is that besmirched to those living in the 1980's and you REALLY want to off-road, which was never an option when the XJ Cherokees were still being cranked out and YJs and  TJs were parked next to them on the dealership floor. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:12:01 pm by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Stilllovetrucks

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: NOW: '07 F150 xlt, PREVIOUS: '99 S70, '97 Impreza, '92 Dakota, '98 Forester, '92 & '99 Cherokees, '80 200sx, '87 Nissan pickup XE, '66 F-85
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2013, 02:26:32 pm »
This is the 2014 Grand Cherokee, actually a handsome thing.

LOVE THIS ONE !!!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:52 pm »
yeah.. not a production model and would be 50+... would give most of the "jeepers" something to whine about i'm sure.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/1308-first-drive-2014-jeep-cherokee/

their sister site gave the cherokee a less positive review, but admitted that stock, the new cherokee did the moab and rubicon trails better than the old. they just wished it had a proper transfer case and better articulation...

most of the people complaining about the new cherokee i've met are not the type to have ever wanted an off road vehicle anyways.. they just want to complain... then they go buy a fit, corolla or yaris... yeah, i'm sure that jeep heritage means a whole lot to you.

as mentioned, the cherokee original was offered for those who wanted some capability like the yj, but could hold more people and stuff.... well, the market now has the 4 door wrangler which does all the cherokee could do and more, so to make something like the wrangler only not as good, not with a removable top and not with the traditional wrangler look is pretty darn stupid.