Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1051274 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #8220 on: April 13, 2024, 08:54:55 am »
What's "put the truck in flood mode"?  Putting the gas pedal to the floor?

Also, that sucks.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8221 on: April 13, 2024, 10:37:40 am »
The second oldest son borrowed Moms Suburban and my car trailer to fetch a broken Camaro. Made it home (about a 200km trip) “oh, Dad, the suburban is running funny”. So I jump in it, fires up, flashing engine light. Cylinder 4 misfire (that’s a AFM hole). Put the truck in flood mode and cranked it….by the sounds of the uneven rotation I’ll be looking for an engine.  >:(

Ouch. Is that the one you just did the AFM delete on? Just the software to turn it off, and not replacing the actual lifters?

Got a ride a few weeks ago in a new company truck - Silverado. Apparently the last one had the AFM lifters :censor: the bed a few thousand km after the warranty expired. Boss wasn’t too happy about that, but still bought another one. That’s at least the second 5.3 we’ve had that’s blown up.

I’d probably still buy one, myself, but the day the warranty is up I’d plan to rip out those AFM lifters and replace with old-school, solid ones. Engine is pretty solid otherwise, AFAIK.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #8222 on: April 13, 2024, 11:03:27 am »
What's "put the truck in flood mode"?  Putting the gas pedal to the floor?

Also, that sucks.

Yes, hold it to the floor and it’ll just keep cranking.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: April 13, 2024, 11:11:41 am »
The second oldest son borrowed Moms Suburban and my car trailer to fetch a broken Camaro. Made it home (about a 200km trip) “oh, Dad, the suburban is running funny”. So I jump in it, fires up, flashing engine light. Cylinder 4 misfire (that’s a AFM hole). Put the truck in flood mode and cranked it….by the sounds of the uneven rotation I’ll be looking for an engine.  >:(

Ouch. Is that the one you just did the AFM delete on? Just the software to turn it off, and not replacing the actual lifters?

Got a ride a few weeks ago in a new company truck - Silverado. Apparently the last one had the AFM lifters :censor: the bed a few thousand km after the warranty expired. Boss wasn’t too happy about that, but still bought another one. That’s at least the second 5.3 we’ve had that’s blown up.

I’d probably still buy one, myself, but the day the warranty is up I’d plan to rip out those AFM lifters and replace with old-school, solid ones. Engine is pretty solid otherwise, AFAIK.

It’s had the delete since I bought it about 2 years ago. I don’t think the failure had anything to do with the AFM, no stuck/failed lifter symptoms. It’s either a valve or rings. If it’s a valve I’ll just replace the head and carry on.

And I still maintain the 5.3 is amongst the best light truck engines. The amount of them I see with high mileage and still running well tends to support my opinion. Yes, the afm lifters can fail, but what percentage actually do? If it’s 10% you’ll definitely hear about it. A new GM with the 6.6 gas (no afm) would be my choice if buying a new truck. Too bad they don’t offer civilian 3/4 ton Suburbans/Yukons anymore, I’m sure they run that engine.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8224 on: April 13, 2024, 11:31:59 am »
afm was the worst thing gm did to those engines.

How many miles on the engine?

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: April 13, 2024, 11:59:15 am »
afm was the worst thing gm did to those engines.

How many miles on the engine?

367,000 km. Nothing for a 5.3. Still made 60 psi oil pressure going down the highway and didn’t use any oil. The boy said it sustained high rpm for several KM climbing out of Merritt loaded up. Thinking maybe something just didn’t like that.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: April 14, 2024, 08:21:44 am »
Maybe he shouldn't have tried to maintain 110+ kmh with a 5.3 pulling a load up a hill  :stick:...kids.  ::) Pfft.  Learnin's expensive!  :P  ;)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: April 14, 2024, 10:18:23 am »
Maybe he shouldn't have tried to maintain 110+ kmh with a 5.3 pulling a load up a hill  :stick:...kids.  ::) Pfft.  Learnin's expensive!  :P  ;)

Not his dime.  ;D

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #8228 on: April 14, 2024, 10:34:15 am »
Had a LOVELY failure-upon-failure evening yesterday.

Started off from home with Mrs. Hire to get an "order three days in advance since they run out" pizza from a spot we've wanted to try for a while now... left home in the old blue 911.

1) Car was making a funny noise (likely a loose wheel well liner), and I was driving by the dealership anyway, so popped in and switched to the 550 Maranello.

2) Got to the pizza spot after 2 hours in traffic, my knee marginally sore from the clutch in standstill on the Gardiner. Evidently the order was accidentally put in for the wrong day, so no pizza. Fine, we're bothered, but there's another place we like about 15 minutes away.

3) Friendly local Toronto officer going the other way flings a u-turn to pull me over for no front plate (fine, my fault, but been almost 2 years and 7,000km...). Officer was nice about it but got an admin ticket for "failure to have ownership document". $110, grumble... I just had the cars all re-registered to one of my holding companies and every single one of the ownerships is sitting on my office desk.

4) Get to the new pizza joint, it's now 8:15... we're a bit cranky at this point, and I have developed a massive migraine.

5) They forget to add the dipping sauce, and we don't notice till we're back home and getting ready to eat.

All in all, a great night. I went to bed at 9:45pm...  :rofl2:
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: April 14, 2024, 10:59:20 am »
Wait: 2 hours in traffic?

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #8230 on: April 14, 2024, 11:44:07 am »

Wait: Dipping sauce for a Pizza?
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #8231 on: April 14, 2024, 12:46:43 pm »

I agree, an abomination  :)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #8232 on: April 14, 2024, 04:05:51 pm »

Oakville to Queen/Dovercourt in Toronto... with a massive accident nearly closing down the highway. Usually a ~30 minute drive.

I like a nice garlic dipping sauce for crust; ties the whole thing together when doing takeout pizza.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #8233 on: April 14, 2024, 04:56:22 pm »

Oakville to Queen/Dovercourt in Toronto... with a massive accident nearly closing down the highway. Usually a ~30 minute drive.

I like a nice garlic dipping sauce for crust; ties the whole thing together when doing takeout pizza.
This works in a pinch in those occasions & is Bella's choice. I personally just use some marinara sauce that's usually leftover in the fridge.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #8234 on: April 15, 2024, 01:50:07 pm »

Yup, I can't really eat a pizza with that garlic sauce now.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8235 on: April 15, 2024, 02:07:50 pm »
Here on the east coast it's not uncommon to repurpose donair sauce as a dipping sauce for pizza. Or if you're grabbing a late night takeout slice putting a bit on top.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8236 on: April 15, 2024, 03:47:22 pm »
Here on the east coast it's not uncommon to repurpose donair sauce as a dipping sauce for pizza. Or if you're grabbing a late night takeout slice putting a bit on top.

Once a year we get a donair pizza from a little shop in Lameque, we always upsize the dipping sauce.

There was a shop here in Kingston that made great donair pizza, not sure if they still do pizzas or only donair and similar now.
Mr Pickypants

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: April 15, 2024, 04:23:18 pm »

the east coast donair sauce is in fact migrating to calgary, I had some last month

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: April 15, 2024, 04:24:45 pm »

Once a year we get a donair pizza from a little shop in Lameque, we always upsize the dipping sauce.

There was a shop here in Kingston that made great donair pizza, not sure if they still do pizzas or only donair and similar now.

au P'tit Mousse?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8239 on: April 15, 2024, 04:29:41 pm »

au P'tit Mousse?

Pizza Amy, down towards the wharf.   Yamaha shop is still there.