Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 827239 times)

Offline laspalmas

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Kia Rondo EX
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 08:34:36 am »
Oups, Thanks Snowman!  :shuffle:

Watched it last night - even on its own merit as a drama barely ok, but in no way can I justify it as the Oscar winner, let alone even being nominated. I think american "rah rah, Usa, Usa" sentimentality had a lot to do it. On top of that it was mostly typical american :censor:. Ben Affleck can't act his way out of a wet paper bag and the character he plays was in reality only in Iran for a day and a half, yet he is shown as the mastermind behind everything.  ::)
 :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:38:35 am by laspalmas »
Trust in Allah - but tie up your camel

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 10:13:07 am »
People who don't like ARGO need to find the old Canadian TV movie THE CANADIAN CAPER. In our version, the Canadians did everything and the CIA is ignored.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:14 am »
I'll try to find it, thanks for the tip.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:28 pm »

Watched it last night - even on its own merit as a drama barely ok, but in no way can I justify it as the Oscar winner, let alone even being nominated. I think american "rah rah, Usa, Usa" sentimentality had a lot to do it. On top of that it was mostly typical american :censor:. Ben Affleck can't act his way out of a wet paper bag and the character he plays was in reality only in Iran for a day and a half, yet he is shown as the mastermind behind everything.  ::)

Hold on. There was a short doc on the CBC a few weeks ago here http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Shows/The+National/Canada/ID/2336612119/?page=3.

If I don't misunderstand the gist of this ... it's saying we didn't think this up and it wasn't really a Canadian operation, although it couldn't have been done without us.

I don't want to derail this thread with politics, but credit where credit due ...

Offline laspalmas

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Kia Rondo EX
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 07:46:51 am »

Hold on. There was a short doc on the CBC a few weeks ago here http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Shows/The+National/Canada/ID/2336612119/?page=3.

If I don't misunderstand the gist of this ... it's saying we didn't think this up and it wasn't really a Canadian operation, although it couldn't have been done without us.

I don't want to derail this thread with politics, but credit where credit due ...

Just watched the short you posted but I still think the american involvement was overblown in the movie considering Jimmy Carter himself said that Canada was 80% responsible and I would tend to believe him over most others.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 10:15:37 pm »
I just finished watching Life of Pi......thoroughly enjoyed it!   :thumbup:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 11:32:02 am »
Watched "Argo" and "Dark Knight Rises" last night.  I enjoyed the pacing and reality-style filming of Argo; kept the suspense up, even if you knew the outcome.  Oscar-worthy?  Maybe, although I haven't watched everything that was up for nomination.

"Dark Knight" was just a 'meh' for me.  I don't understand the need for extended hand-to-hand combat scenes, nor do I enjoy being plopped into a movie not understanding what's going on with the characters and plot.  Bringing it all together halfway through the movie is just irritating to me.  That said, the CGI side of things was pretty impressive.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 04:03:35 pm »
"Dark Knight" was just a 'meh' for me.  I don't understand the need for extended hand-to-hand combat scenes, nor do I enjoy being plopped into a movie not understanding what's going on with the characters and plot.

Did you see parts 1 and 2 first as DKR is the 3rd part of the trilogy .

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 07:39:28 pm »
Did you see parts 1 and 2 first as DKR is the 3rd part of the trilogy .

Yes, yes I did.  The commissioner and the police chief I remembered, as well as all the regulars, but everyone else was new, were they not?  I just checked Roger Ebert's review to make sure I wasn't losing my marbles, and it appears that I was not. 

"All of these characters and their activities produce stretches in the first half of the film during which, frankly, I was not entirely sure who was doing what and with which and to whom."

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20120717%2FREVIEWS%2F120719981

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 08:47:57 pm »
  Bringing it all together halfway through the movie is just irritating to me.  That said, the CGI side of things was pretty impressive.

Sadly, I think this is the way many Hollywood movies do it these days.  No real plot or character development.  The focus is on CGI and explosions and silly action scenes in the hopes that it will distract the viewer and make them forget how bad the plot is.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 09:14:09 pm »
I just finished eating some Pi.. 3.417 slices.....enjoyed that more than CGI..whateffer that is..Cinema Gerahty Ireland??? Happy Paddy days you big green boozers............
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:16:49 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 04:20:02 pm »
Watched "Argo" and "Dark Knight Rises" last night.  I enjoyed the pacing and reality-style filming of Argo; kept the suspense up, even if you knew the outcome.  Oscar-worthy?  Maybe, although I haven't watched everything that was up for nomination.

"Dark Knight" was just a 'meh' for me.  I don't understand the need for extended hand-to-hand combat scenes, nor do I enjoy being plopped into a movie not understanding what's going on with the characters and plot.  Bringing it all together halfway through the movie is just irritating to me.  That said, the CGI side of things was pretty impressive.

If you have the blu-ray, watch the special features.  It's amazing how little of the movie was CGI.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 08:42:44 pm »
I'm waiting to see "Spring Breakers."  Sometimes good old fashioned gratuitous nudity is awesome, especially when it involves 20-something hotties...

Plot?  Who cares...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 01:28:52 pm »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 08:43:25 am »
Watched Casa de mi Padre last night. It has it's moments, but overall I was disappointed.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 08:55:07 am »
 ::) I preferred Debbie does "Fathers House".... ;) ::) :P ...

Zero dark 30   ate Argos Breakfast Lunch Dinner and snacks no Comparo   BEN AFFLACK's a duck egg who kisses Hollywoods arse...shame for a nice Boston Boy to have been brainwashed and feels the need to Lie about the actual facts wrongly portrayed in Argo.....

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:57:35 am by safristi »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 10:05:14 am »
::) I preferred Debbie does "Fathers House".... ;) ::) :P ...

Zero dark 30   ate Argos Breakfast Lunch Dinner and snacks no Comparo   BEN AFFLACK's a duck egg who kisses Hollywoods arse...shame for a nice Boston Boy to have been brainwashed and feels the need to Lie about the actual facts wrongly portrayed in Argo.....

Argo is a great movie if you are American  ::)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:01 am »
you know, i didn't mind "casa di me padre"... it was cheesy in all the right places. the actual story wasn't all that bad... you just can't go into it expecting laughter around every corner like most ferrell movies which i almost did.

plus... reading subtitles is a bit tiresome.

wife is knocked up and i was forced into watching "what to expect when you are expecting"... though for the women for sure, it wasn't all bad. helps having a pregnant wife so i can relate. but if you have small kids or are thinking about it, its actually worth a few laughs.

watched "seeking a friend for the end of the world" also. almost refreshing to have an apocalyptic movie not having explosions and shirtless army men running around with big boobed damsels in distress. strange that this plot scenario came up with one of the most believable love stories i've seen in a while.

"the campaign"... will and zach? awesome!... movie was not so funny though. just a little too contrived and obvious. still had its moments, but as a whole, meh.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 10:17:58 am »
you know, i didn't mind "casa di me padre"... it was cheesy in all the right places. the actual story wasn't all that bad... you just can't go into it expecting laughter around every corner like most ferrell movies which i almost did.

plus... reading subtitles is a bit tiresome.

wife is knocked up and i was forced into watching "what to expect when you are expecting"... though for the women for sure, it wasn't all bad. helps having a pregnant wife so i can relate. but if you have small kids or are thinking about it, its actually worth a few laughs.

watched "seeking a friend for the end of the world" also. almost refreshing to have an apocalyptic movie not having explosions and shirtless army men running around with big boobed damsels in distress. strange that this plot scenario came up with one of the most believable love stories i've seen in a while.

"the campaign"... will and zach? awesome!... movie was not so funny though. just a little too contrived and obvious. still had its moments, but as a whole, meh.
What a beautiful thing to say  ::) Are you 19  ???
Maybe you should reword that , then I can delete this post

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 12:51:03 pm »

That's pretty freaking funny.   :rofl:  I know quite a few couples who have used that term.

What a beautiful thing to say  ::) Are you 19  ???
Maybe you should reword that , then I can delete this post

AirB, you've been bitching up and down a whole bunch of threads this morning - go take that vacation.   :nono: :hello: