Author Topic: TV Series  (Read 767492 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: TV Series
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 07:32:43 am »
It's always sunny in Philadelphia is pretty good, some of them are really way out there but always funny.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 09:04:45 am »
Anybody catch the premiere of Hell on Wheels last night on AMC?  I have it PVR'd and plan to watch it tonight.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:39 am »
Rome: only two seasons, but they were both great.

Agreed.  I wish it had lasted a couple more seasons.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:18 am »
I agree with a lot of the stuff said in here.  I never caught the reality tv bug, except for Amazing Race.  My wife will watch Survivior (along with a bunch of other reality crap) that I have no interest in.  Is it a female thing?  When TLC first came on the air it had some interesting stuff.  Now, I just refer to it as The Loser Channel.  Because all I see is a bunch of losers looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

I loved The Soprano's.  Lately we've been watching and loving Dexter on dvd.  We've seen up to then end of season 4.  The finale was intense, I felt like I just ran up 5 flights of stairs when it was over. 

I still watch Criminal Minds and the original CSI, but am losing interest in both.  If I see 1 more cop show, it will be too soon.  A couple of new shows we've tried watching this season are Once Upon a Time and Pan Am, just because they're different.  For comedies Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are still tops.  Lost interest in 2 1/2 Men for obvious reasons.  Tim Allen's new sit-com Last Man Standing has turned out to be pretty good too. 

Although not my wife's taste, I like a lot of the stuff on Discovery and National Geographic like Mayday, Mighty Ships, and Mega Builders.  Top Gear UK is still my favourite.  As well as being about cars, it's just thoroughly entertaining.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:02 am »
The only current sitcom I enjoy is Modern Family.   The rest are either so-so or complete rubbish.

Previous shows I've loved:

Arrested Development - Probably the funniest sitcom made.

Deadwood - My favourite HBO series as the writing, acting and set were all time.  Al Swearengen's rants are simply incredible.

Six Feet Under - A great series that approached common issues from different angles.  The best finale of any series.

And Nova, Nature and Frontline are programmed into my PVR.

Frankly,  once the streaming of live sports is common place I'm going to be ditching basic cable.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 11:14:55 am »
a lot of good comedies new this year.  I like the new girl

Pan am is good.

I tried a few new shows but lost interest after 2 or 3 of them. 

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 11:23:11 am »
a lot of good comedies new this year.  I like the new girl

Pan am is good.

I tried a few new shows but lost interest after 2 or 3 of them. 

Girlfriend likes Pan Am a lot so I have been watching it with her, not bad not bad.  Still like once upon a time and person of interest for network dramas.

Only comedy I currently watch is how i met your mother

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 11:56:38 am »
Some more that haven't been mentioned yet:

Rome: only two seasons, but they were both great.

Weeds: has (had?) its ups and downs, but still fun to watch.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I've only caught a few episodes, but what I've seen is hilarious. Need to rent some more.

And I keep hearing that Battlestar Galactica was truly outstanding. I've been meaning to rent a season or two, but haven't got around to it.

Yeah, I mentioned Rome in my OP......great series.  Just like Deadwood, it was cut too short........and a shame too because both of them were absolute top notch!
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 12:06:11 pm »
Sons of Anarchy, Justified (so underrated), Deadwood, Lost, Rubicon, Game of Thrones, Southland (great cop show), Rescue Me (great cast), The Walking Dead, Fringe, SGU, Firefly and BSG are all great shows.

While I've only watched about five episodes so far of Justified, I really like it a lot.  I've been a big Timothy Olyphant fan ever since Deadwood.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 12:14:22 pm »
I missed  bottom of "PAGE 8".... last night...is there a re run.........i cants affords HBO and other extended Moofie channels ..i already pays $3Billion a MONTH fer VIP  :-\ ha ha service.......maybe you fellas get the SUPER VIP treatment when ya stuff dollars in Ms Rogers thong!!!!! :bang: :light: :hide: :think:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 12:17:16 pm »
The only shows I really watch on a regular basis anymore are Community, ...
I love the show but it has problems.  One week it's the greatest thing on TV (Modern Warfare, Contemporary American Poultry and Paradigms of Human Memory ... the mother of flashback episodes.) and the next week it's bland and just ok.

I think they had some production issues around there and some episodes were shown out of order and possibly not equally "finished".

Lots of good shows come and quickly go on network tv every season.  The bad ones seem to usually stay around longer.  Add an annoying laugh track and you're sure to succeed.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:20:03 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 12:30:16 pm »
^^ oops, yes you did.  :)

I don't know why they cancelled it (poor ratings? Too expensive?), but at least they went out on top. I hate it when a great show slides into mediocrity.

The Office (the original) was another great show that ended too soon. Or did it? Better to leave 'em wanting more, as the old saying goes. Ricky Gervais' next show (Extras) was also great, but it did start to slide just a bit in the end. They pulled the plug on that one just in time, IMO.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:50 pm »
^^ oops, yes you did.  :)

I don't know why they cancelled it (poor ratings? Too expensive?), but at least they went out on top. I hate it when a great show slides into mediocrity.

From what I've read, it was a combination of costing WAY too much and not enough audience here in NA.  Apparently it was one of the most expensive series ever shot and had the world's largest set in Italy.  Such a shame.  :(

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 05:51:13 pm »
I saw " Hell on Wheels last night " , pretty good show .
You could tell AMC was behind it, similar style to Walking Dead and Breaking bad .
I particularly liked how the woman dealt with the indian 

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 06:29:06 pm »
I love the show but it has problems.  One week it's the greatest thing on TV (Modern Warfare, Contemporary American Poultry and Paradigms of Human Memory ... the mother of flashback episodes.) and the next week it's bland and just ok.

This is definitely true. They have some fantastic episodes, and some real duds. Overall, though, I find it pretty good compared to a lot of what's on TV today. Especially on the regular networks. :)

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 07:51:05 pm »
On a side note - my pvr just packed it in and I won't get a new one until tomorrow.

So I thought I'd weed through some tapes and see if there was anything worth salvaging before I threw them out.

I started with 25 year old beta tapes on my old Sony player. The color was rich and pretty clear as I watched Johnny Carson with guests Dom Delouise and a commercial with Jackie Gleason. Man - I'm watching dead people.

Then a movie "The Man Who Fell to Earth" with David Bowie. Since I already saw it I decided to skip the betas and try the vhs vcr because there are some movies I didn't watch on them.

It ate 4 in a row so I turned to the internet instead. I'll leave the betas for another day.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:45 pm »
A few years back there was a series called "Carnivale".  It was set in the thirties during the Great Depression if I recall.  It combined human drama with a touch of the supernatural in the form of a showdown between great evil and its opposing good.

It was, I believe, yet another of those great shows from HBO.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:37 pm »
Anyone catch Sunday night's episode of Dexter?  Things got interesting really quick with that ending.   :o

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »
Sons of Anarchy, Justified (so underrated), Deadwood, Lost, Rubicon, Game of Thrones, Southland (great cop show), Rescue Me (great cast), The Walking Dead, Fringe, SGU, Firefly and BSG are all great shows.

I finished watching both seasons of Justified.  I am thoroughly enjoying this series.  Like you mentioned, really underrated!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 09:13:10 pm »
^^Have you managed to catch "Boss" yet?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...