Author Topic: TV Series  (Read 767549 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
TV Series
« on: November 06, 2011, 02:56:35 pm »
It's been at least a dozen years or so since I've watched anything on network television (ie, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc) as I utterly despise the whole reality TV craze.  My wife watches a lot of that stuff and personally I just find it to be nothing more than garbage.

I do however enjoy checking out different series from the likes of HBO, Showtime, AMC, etc as I find the quality leaps and bounds better.  Some of the current series that I've really been enjoying are;

Breaking Bad - probably the best series I've ever seen.  AMC
The Game of Thrones - Another incredible series and VERY true to the book.  HBO
The Walking Dead - Another top notch series from AMC
Dexter - Although it might not be quite as good as the earlier seasons, I still really enjoy it.  Showtime
Boardwalk Empire - Just LOVE this series.  Steve Buscemi plays an awesome role as Nucky Thompson.  HBO

Other series that I really enjoyed though are finished now are Entourage, Sopranos, The Wire, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Rome, Deadwood, and The Shield.

I've heard Sons of Anarchy from FX is really good as well and plan to check it out.  Any other good series that is worth watching?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:28:11 pm by CanuckG35 »
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: TV Series
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:11:43 pm »
Gonna have to have a look at Breaking Bad, see it's just come out on Netflix.

I'm a big NCIS fan. Bones too.

Older stuff I like (all avail on Netflix now): Better Off Ted, My Name is Earl, The Unit, Californication, Stargate, X-Files, Farscape

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:21:09 pm »
I'm just about to finish watching the last season of Rescue Me. Gritty, tragic, funny. One of the best tv series ever.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »
My g/f records House, Dr. Oz (the quack) CSI NY and various documentaries and watches them in the evening.

One series she is recording is "Canada:Over the Edge" which is pretty good. I learned a lot about the Maritimes from that. (it's on Eqhd)

My favorite is on History HD called "Swamp People". It's about Cajuns in the Louisiana swamps that have 30 days to fill their quota of about 300 alligators. There are about 5 pairs of people in small boats catching alligators on baited hooks - then wrangling them into the boat. There is a 25 cent piece sized spot on the back of the head that they have to hit with a bullet.

One of the pair hunts snakes with his bare hands. "You will get bit every time - you just have to make sure it isn't poisonous. If it's a cottonmouth - you won't make it to the hospital in time."

Then a pair of brothers hunting suirrels, rabbits, fish etc.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:26:59 pm »
Show time, AMC and HBO are the future of TV.  They make good programming without commercials and people pay a premium for that.  Network TV may die eventually.   I've gotten bored with regular programming now as that stuff is so much better.  End of season 4 breaking bad was awesome!!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:52:15 pm »
I haven't watched Breaking bad since season 1, I really need to catch up!

Non network shows, I love the Walking Dead, but who doesn't?  I also watch Boardwalk Empire which is now in season 2 and has really picked it up.  I watched How to Make it in season 1 but haven't kept up with it.  I liked Entourage, but it is over now.  True blood Season 1 and 3 were good, but has lost it, same with Californiacation.  I used to watch it but kind of got off it.

Network currently I only watch Persons Unknown and am trying out once upon a time.

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:59:42 pm »
It's been at least a dozen years or so since I've watched anything on network television (ie, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc) as I utterly despise the whole reality TV craze.  My wife watches a lot of that stuff and personally I just find it to be nothing more than garbage.

Is there any chance that your wife and mine are related? :o

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:14:37 pm »
Show time, AMC and HBO are the future of TV.  They make good programming without commercials and people pay a premium for that.  Network TV may die eventually.   I've gotten bored with regular programming now as that stuff is so much better.  End of season 4 breaking bad was awesome!!

Totally agree James about AMC, Showtime, and HBO being the future of TV........or at least I hope so.  The end of season 4 of Breaking Bad was off the charts eh? 

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:16:31 pm »

Haha, perhaps.  Does your wife watch a bunch of reality shows and just about anything to do celebrity gossip?   :-\

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 07:55:22 pm »
Spartacus: Blood and Sand was very good. (HBO).

An older HBO one that was good was "Oz" about inmates in a maximum security prison.

Sleeper Cell (Showtime) was about a terrorist sleeper cell in the USA.  Pretty good.

Homeland (Showtime) is about a sergeant who has returned home from Iraq, but is suspected of being "flipped" and plotting an attack on America.

I too loathe reality TV. Pure garbage for the feeble minded...

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 08:25:27 pm »
Spartacus

Boardwalk Empire

Deadwood
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »

Haha, perhaps.  Does your wife watch a bunch of reality shows and just about anything to do celebrity gossip?   :-\

I think they're all like that.  The worst crap on TV by people who just want to be on TV.  Hate it.
Mr Pickypants

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:54:48 pm »
Hardly a series as it was just two  2 hour episodes but Alice on Showcase was one of the best things for some time...imho.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »
PBS: Frontline, NOVA, and Nature

Discovery: Megaworld, Mythbusters, Mega Builders, and Discovery Presents.  

CBC: The National, The Lang & O'Leary Exchange, Rick Mercer Report, Dragons Den, Doc Zone, and the Nature of Things.

CBS: Big Bang Theory

NBC: Sunday Night Football

ESPN: Monday Night Football

and anything automotive related that looks interesting time permitting.

Television basically sucks and the so called reality TV shows killed it for me. I watch the above list when I have nothing else to do but I don't alter my schedule for TV nor do I record shows.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 09:16:43 pm »
I'm just about to finish watching the last season of Rescue Me. Gritty, tragic, funny. One of the best tv series ever.

Rescue Me is likely my favourite TV show.   

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 09:57:38 pm »

Spartacus was on Starz. Not really sure what they've done since. :/

I watched the first episode of Spartacus, but nothing after that. Is it worth watching? I generally really enjoy period pieces, and especially the Rome/Gladiator type, which Spartacus seemed to borrow heavily from.

The only shows I really watch on a regular basis anymore are Community, How I Met Your Mother, and the Simpsons. I did watch the premier of Boardwalk Empire and loved it, and have been meaning to watch the rest. I also want to start watching some of the now-finished HBO stuff (Sopranos, Oz).

And while I did watch the first two seasons of True Blood, I stopped after that. I hear season 3 and 4 are actually pretty good, so I may give that another shot, too. :)

(Oh, and Game of Thrones. That was a great show - I'm eagerly awaiting season 2).

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »

Of course they're related:  They each have two 'X' chromosomes. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 10:38:23 pm »
Some more that haven't been mentioned yet:

Rome: only two seasons, but they were both great.

Weeds: has (had?) its ups and downs, but still fun to watch.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I've only caught a few episodes, but what I've seen is hilarious. Need to rent some more.

And I keep hearing that Battlestar Galactica was truly outstanding. I've been meaning to rent a season or two, but haven't got around to it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:49:27 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »
And I keep hearing that Battlestar Galactica was truly outstanding. I've been meaning to rent a season or two, but haven't got around to it.

Watching it now, it is very good.  I'm presently on season 3. 

We also enjoy Dr. Who
For sitcoms, another vote for Community, we also like The Office and How I Met Your Mother.
Oh yeah, Workaholics

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 02:16:18 am »
Like most of the people here, I rarely find something worth watching on network television.  I have no interest in American reality television and I got fed up with procedurals (CSI, NCIS, House, Bones, etc.) a long time ago.  The only exception being Castle because of Nathan Fillion (Browncoats!).  The "Cable" channels (HBO, Showcase, FX ...) usually make better television because they mostly have shorter seasons.  A season with 24 episodes is more often than not 30 to 40% filler.

Sons of Anarchy, Justified (so underrated), Deadwood, Lost, Rubicon, Game of Thrones, Southland (great cop show), Rescue Me (great cast), The Walking Dead, Fringe, SGU, Firefly and BSG are all great shows.

The only shows I really watch on a regular basis anymore are Community, ...
I love the show but it has problems.  One week it's the greatest thing on TV (Modern Warfare, Contemporary American Poultry and Paradigms of Human Memory ... the mother of flashback episodes.) and the next week it's bland and just ok.

Homeland (Showtime) is about a sergeant who has returned home from Iraq, but is suspected of being "flipped" and plotting an attack on America.
Damien Lewis (Band of Brothers) is the main reason why I watched the pilot but it turned out to be a great show.  I'm just wondering where the series will go after they played out the "friend or foe" angle.

Spartacus was on Starz. Not really sure what they've done since. :/
Spartacus: Blood and Sand was pretty good and Spartacus: Gods of the Arena was very decent for a rushed "prequel".  I hope Liam McIntyre will be able to build on Andy Whitfield's performance and keep the momentum going in season 2.

Camelot was drab but you guys should definitely take a look at Boss with Kelsey Grammer.  The first 3 episodes are worth watching for Grammer's performance alone.

Boss:  The series follows Tom Kane, the mayor of Chicago, who has recently been diagnosed with DLB, a degenerative neurological disorder. Determined to remain in charge, Kane conceals the disease from everyone around him.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."