Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1632278 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 10:11:08 am »
Not much PP, I corrected the white balance because of the orange street lighting, noise reduction as long exposures can increase noice, tweak levels and contrast.

Wow.  I was actually going to ask if the first two were HDR - the lighting just looks too perfect for a single exposure.  :thumbup:

My bad, the shutter one was pretty much straight from camera, the waterfall one is a sort of pseudo-hdr from a single exposure.  I was just saying what my normal processing route is rather than specific to these photos, I wasn't concentrating last night, doh!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Squishy

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 03:33:32 pm »
My latest acquisition, a Falcon Niagara Series pool cue:

^click on this one to enlarge

From what I have found out, it is a 1998 model made in Mississauga.  Ivory, ebony, and sapphire inlays.  I'm not sure about the value of it yet, but it is almost identical to their current BS-8 cue which is $1176.  This series was at the lower-to-mid end in 1998 though, with this cue at the top of the series, so the original price tag was likely a bit lower than $1000.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 04:50:18 pm by Squishy »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 04:49:11 pm »
..and I thought spending $600 on a mig welder at Canadian Toy Tire was a crazy thing to do  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 06:30:42 pm »
Here is my latest woody purchase.  I spent $1.50 to replace the missing peg on my coat rack.   It was cheaper and easier to buy one than make one out of my dowel collection.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 09:57:11 pm »
My new set of "winters" installed.

Squishy

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 10:19:13 pm »
Very nice.  I use Michelin downhill competition tires for winter.  Are studded bike tires legal in Ontario?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 10:32:06 pm »
Very nice.  I use Michelin downhill competition tires for winter.  Are studded bike tires legal in Ontario?

I dont think anybody in their right mind would want to enforce it. Once I studded my boots and ice traction was out of this world  ;D

p.s. bike tires I changed mainly to decrease rolling resistance with higher (65) psi
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:33:55 pm by DanYanoff »

Squishy

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 10:49:40 pm »
You studded your boots too?!

I have 12 #4 screws per boot.  Makes an interesting clicking noise when I'm in the mall. ;D

Squishy

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 03:38:49 pm »
Found this 5-ton puller on eBay, paid $50 for it.  The seller's father was an engine rebuilder and had all these tools that were in great shape; he estimated that this puller was from the 1960s, but it still looks brand new.  They are warranted for life so I got a great deal.

I also found this spider wrench a few months ago.  Unknown vintage, but at least 30 years old according to the seller.  I was surprised to find it cast as one single piece.

I don't know what I'll do with it - probably hang it on a wall somewhere.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 03:48:33 pm »
...geez ...squishy.......I'm not coming down ta yer basement...even if ya have a POOL TABLE & FREE TEQUILA....... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

barrie1

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 01:54:39 am »
I use one of them pullers myself for pulling off the Harmonic Balancer on engines. Probably never wear that tool out and they do work very well. Some have a third pull arm which I have used for wheel bearings and some seals as well. Used tools can save you a lot of money over the years and most Grey brand are Candian made and have a lifetime warranty on them just like Snap On or Mac now. Blue Point produces a lot of tools for Snap On as well which is also a fine tool brand to use.  :)

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 09:11:31 pm »
Spent the entire afternoon in 3 dealerships getting a price to fix the Polo. Was in the highway in a "stop and go" traffic, looked to the side when I shouldn't and end up hitting the spare tire attached to the trunk gate of an SUV. Since I was at a dealership, asked for the price of dash cup holder and brought it home, took like 10 seconds to install:

"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »
Busy setting up brokerage accounts and other mundane stuff... :P

I'd post a screenshot but then I'd have to kill you.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

vdk

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 09:42:52 pm »
nice stuff wolfy .. I love those type of cupholders..

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 10:29:17 pm »
nice stuff wolfy .. I love those type of cupholders..

Sure they gonna be really useful. I don't even know they reserve it for the top of line model. The Polo only comes with two cup holders between the front seat and they are mostly for the rear passengers. Good thing is the "grabbing" things can be pressed to fit tight the beverage. Completely loved it.

I also bought a pair of "Aerotwins" type windshield wipers and a new grill (the current one got smashed on the hit), they should be arriving by wednesday. Next thing to buy is a cargo net to put on the trunk and keep things from rolling around on the back. Odd is that the Polo has 4 hooks on the trunk, but there's no cargo net available, not even as an option, so I'll have to buy it from a Fiat dealership.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 11:56:51 pm »

Me too - Tax Free Savings Accounts for both me and my wife.

Between us, I think we already have eight bank/investment accounts with BMO, so why the hell do they need yet another 10-page application with six signatures and four photocopied pieces of ID?  :P

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 04:00:41 am »

Between us, I think we already have eight bank/investment accounts with BMO, so why the hell do they need yet another 10-page application with six signatures and four photocopied pieces of ID?  :P

People need things to do... :)

I believe I will be doing my TFSA at Questrade, along with my RRSP which should be moved there soon. Will make for 3 slips this tax season just for registered accounts. (I am assuming the TFSA will go under the 2009 tax year?)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:02:40 am by mmret »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 06:21:21 am »

Hmmmm we had a 1 page ( + three pages of boilerplate) application each PLUS two US forms just in case we have any US investments in the TFSA  The US forms were 1 * 1 page and 1 * 2 pages .

3 sigs each and we did not have to show ID probably as our FInancial guy was doing it all for us.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 10:17:28 am »
NO TAXES involved with TFSA's.......................just like a savings account...no Tax consequence GOING IN or OUT...... ??? ::).........................................Gordon Pape has been giving some good advice on them  on GlobalGold Investment site (PAY to PLAY) and has a new book coming out in Jan 2009..prolly also on his web site which has some freebies on display...................

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 03:49:40 pm »
Spent the entire afternoon in 3 dealerships getting a price to fix the Polo. Was in the highway in a "stop and go" traffic, looked to the side when I shouldn't and end up hitting the spare tire attached to the trunk gate of an SUV. Since I was at a dealership, asked for the price of dash cup holder and brought it home, took like 10 seconds to install:

Okay... I WANT one of those.  Right now.   :)