Author Topic: The Weather Thread  (Read 2410693 times)

avtoller

Re: The Weather Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 03:10:38 pm »
Your mayor was on the radio saying ALL roads to the Alberni Valley were closed, so I do not see any reason to head that way unless I can clear-cut Cathedral Grove for you   :rofl2:

In fact, with all the stuff my family has planed for my 4 day visit, I just can't swing a day trip to Port this trip.  But when McLeans mill is up and running again, I would like to come by.

The road to the Real World is now open - one lane the last I heard though. I just found out that the rich people who live out at Sproat Lake are still without power and will be until at least midnight.  :P

There are quite a few locals who would not mind seeing Cathedral Grove at least cut back a tree-length or two.  ::)  There has been a lot of talk about putting in an extra route to PA over the last few months, and this storm will certainly add fuel to the discussions.

You are always welcome to visit and see how the other half (independently poor) live. With all of the blow-down, the Mill should have plenty of logs for next year's tourist season. It's an ill wind that ...  ;D

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 03:33:42 pm »
AV, good to see that you are fine and in good spirit! Keep the dog and the Yaris away from any falling tree! Who again does not want to follow the Kyoto protocol?

ghost

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 04:01:02 pm »
The mayor was on the phone with Global TV news this morning. ahh... so, that's where Port Alberni is.  ;D Apparently you folks got the worse of it. Lots of power outages in GVRD. But our neighbourhood was spared. whew! :thumbup:

avtoller

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 04:01:35 pm »
I took a few snaps while Daffi and I were trying to find places to hike. It will obviously be weeks before the major trails are all cleared of the tree falls. Please forgive the picture quality as it was dark and rainy when I took them, and I was in no mood to use any manual settings.

BTW, Daffi doesn't normally spend too much time in trees. I told her to go "UP" meaning get on the larger fallen tree, but she had other ideas. She's pretty agile for a 41 pound lady.  ;D

The fence surrounds the extended care unit at the local hospital. The wind blew out panels at BOTH ends as though a herd of buffalo had stampeded through.

The little bridges cross a tiny outlet below some beaver ponds. The smaller one was moved about 20 meters, the larger only about 10. Still, I have only seen the water up to the bank edge once before, and then only moving sluggishly.  :o :o

The other remarkable thing is that the water in "the Canal" is now distinctly brown. I've not seen that even during the worst of spring run off.

avtoller

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 04:06:22 pm »
The mayor was on the phone with Global TV news this morning. ahh... so, that's where Port Alberni is.  ;D Apparently you folks got the worse of it. Lots of power outages in GVRD. But our neighbourhood was spared. whew! :thumbup:

The mayor is a good friend of Daffi's. We meet him occasionally as he jogs along the trail in the pictures. I expect THIS trail to be tidied quickly.  ;D ;D Seriously, Ken seems to be a good guy and I doubt that he would abuse his "power" in that fashion.  ;) OH, and he drives a white Corolla.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 04:45:47 pm »
Thanks for the pix, Ross, love the one of Daffi "up" the tree..... ;D ;D

Looks like you folks got hit hard there. Take a while to clean up the mess, but at least no one was killed or even injured (I think). Property damage is repairable.  :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 04:50:29 pm »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061116.wstorm1116/BNStory/National/home

I love how a story about BC gets turned into one about Ontario.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:59:04 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 04:52:13 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170048184158&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1

I love how a story about BC gets turned into one about Ontario.

I have that one already, very useful for data backups. What about the story?  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 04:59:43 pm »
D'oh, post fixed.

I'm looking to grab that hard drive though.  The 12gb laptop hard drive on my computer is FULL.

avtoller

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2006, 09:00:45 pm »
As my usual trails are too clogged to walk easily, I tried one of the local logging roads. 24 downed trees spanning the road in just over 1 km, several of them 125-150' long.  :o :o I didn't even try to count the rest of the fallen trees.

For the first time ever, Port Alberni is under a "boil water" advisory.

I haven't yet spoken to them, but my friends DID make it back up the Canal alive. All is well in the universe.  ;D ;D

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2006, 09:29:44 pm »

I haven't yet spoken to them, but my friends DID make it back up the Canal alive. All is well in the universe.  ;D ;D

Glad to hear that   :D
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2006, 12:16:18 pm »
Note for Ross (avt) - I see the Hiways webcam site is about to add the "Alberni Summit" to their live cameras so we can check the weather conditions in your area and make sure you are not spoofing us.... ;) ;) ;D

avtoller

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2006, 12:38:33 pm »
Note for Ross (avt) - I see the Hiways webcam site is about to add the "Alberni Summit" to their live cameras so we can check the weather conditions in your area and make sure you are not spoofing us.... ;) ;) ;D

Yup, the Hump camera (as it is called here) was installed a few weeks ago, and I have been anxiously awaiting it appearing on-line. (And, NO, I'm not a voyeur.  :P;D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2006, 07:06:28 pm »
D'oh, post fixed.

I'm looking to grab that hard drive though.  The 12gb laptop hard drive on my computer is FULL.

My 100GB laptop drive is (almost) FULL.  :D

I ordered a 250GB drive and enclosure from TigerDirect for $115 (with shipping).  Check it out, some good deals, and they have a pretty good reputation.  It's not all refurbished, lots of it is brand new.

Weather...  um...  still no snow in Kingston?  :D

avtoller

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2006, 08:50:22 pm »
The Hump camera is up and running  :thumbup: - or at least I assume it is. The picture is currently pure black, but then there are no lights in the area.  ::) ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2006, 09:53:51 pm »
So Daffi is a Logroller.........scuse me my Bark is worse than boiled cabbage.......HOW does SHE put Up wif U!!!!..

Time is to stop everything happening at once

avtoller

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2006, 09:58:32 pm »
 :laugh: Must be an old picture as Ken doesn't look anything like that these days.  :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

Oh, and the rain is letting up. Only 45 mm yesterday and about the same today.  :P ::) :P

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2006, 10:58:24 pm »
I wonder how the "storm tourism" has been over at Tofino and Ucluelet? Usually winter storm bring tourists to see nature at work - maybe this last bunch has been a bit too exciting?

We were in Newport, Oregon a couple Marchs ago and the weather was very stormy - wind, driven rain and high tides. As long as you are dressed for it, and in a safe spot; it's really quite exciting stuff.  :o Just don't stand on any rocks near the ocean, and don't go for beach walks where you can't retreat if one exit is cut off.

avtoller

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2006, 11:16:43 pm »
I wonder how the "storm tourism" has been over at Tofino and Ucluelet? Usually winter storm bring tourists to see nature at work - maybe this last bunch has been a bit too exciting?

We were in Newport, Oregon a couple Marchs ago and the weather was very stormy - wind, driven rain and high tides. As long as you are dressed for it, and in a safe spot; it's really quite exciting stuff.  :o Just don't stand on any rocks near the ocean, and don't go for beach walks where you can't retreat if one exit is cut off.

I doubt that it is thriving. With a boil water order, limited electricity (finally), uncertain road and air access, and most accommodation closed for the season, the only people in Tofino and Ucy these days are the locals and those few brave souls who attended the Oyster Festival this past weekend.  :'( :'( ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2006, 11:19:48 pm »
Ya mean the AFRO_DIZZY_ACKS?????? :o :P O0 >:D..had a surfeit of the BiValves down in Hilton now they have gone ta ma HEAD...........my wife says I'm SUCH a PRICK...... :banana: :bounce:  I can't stop  :bang:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:22:15 pm by safristi »