Author Topic: The Weather Thread  (Read 2410824 times)

avtoller

Re: The Weather Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 08:16:56 pm »
Hi all. A half hour after my last post this morning, ALL power in Port Alberni went AWOL. Even the radio stations were off until about 20 minutes ago. Trees are down everywhere, there have been numerous landslides, and we were completely cut off from the outside world. Naturally, all stores and businesses closed down.

The horizontal rains let up somewhat, but the winds were horrific until about 3 pm local time. Talking with a couple of long term residents, it seems this was a typical once-per-decade storm for PA. I'm willing to wait another 10 years for the next one.  :P :P

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 08:29:33 pm »
Sounds like the west is having a rough go. I hope you all come out of thei with no problems. I would tend to believe these bad weather anomalies will be more frequent as the planet changes.

avtoller

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 08:46:58 pm »
Two of my friends went down "the Canal" Tuesday morning, and were planning on spending a couple of days down there. I still haven't heard any news about them. As gusts reached over 120 kph in their area, I'm a bit concerned. I've been down the Canal on that boat (prawn fishing), and while it is an excellent 36' craft, I'm hoping that they found a really good spot to ride out the weather.  ???

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 09:00:55 pm »
Two of my friends went down "the Canal" Tuesday morning, and were planning on spending a couple of days down there. I still haven't heard any news about them. As gusts reached over 120 kph in their area, I'm a bit concerned. I've been down the Canal on that boat (prawn fishing), and while it is an excellent 36' craft, I'm hoping that they found a really good spot to ride out the weather.  ???

I hope so too, AVT.  Wicked storm, by all accounts.  I read about the power outages, and figured that you were out since you hadn't posted for several hours.

(Did Daffi get to pee?)

By the way, and if it's any comfort at all... southern Ontario is expecting its own conflagration tonight and tomorrow.   Pantloads of rain (but not like yours), and some serious winds (but not like yours).  The winds are starting to howl off the lake as I type this.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:06:11 pm by Brigitte »

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 09:07:13 pm »
200,000 without power, Highway 1 now closed (most closures due to mud slides).

AV, hope those fellows found a sheltered bay to tie up in, the Canal can be nasty in that kind of storm and not just from the wind but the wave surges in such a narrow channel can cause havoc for anything on the water.  Let us know how they make out.

And yes, these seems to hit the coast about every 10 years or so.  I am waiting to hear about the rivers and what they are doing as a good part of the snow that came down the last few weeks is being rained on  :o
2016 Subaru Forester XT

avtoller

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 09:39:52 pm »
(Did Daffi get to pee?)

By the way, and if it's any comfort at all... southern Ontario is expecting its own conflagration tonight and tomorrow.   Pantloads of rain (but not like yours), and some serious winds (but not like yours).  The winds are starting to howl off the lake as I type this.

:rofl2: :rofl2: Actually, no. When let out on the deck she would just say "It's peeing out there enough without me - I'll wait." She actually went 22 hours before the wind and rain let up enough for me to want to do some exploring, and she came with me.

In trying to find out about my friends, I called Bob (their best friend). He still has heard nothing, but is very confident. BTW, he has lived here all his life (65 last Tuesday) and taking everything into account (flooding, rain amount, wind, number of downed trees, duration, etc), he can't remember a worse storm. Of course at his age, he can't remember much at the best of times. Still, ...  ;D ;D

Good luck with your blow!!  :cheers:

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 09:52:53 pm »
Good luck with your blow!!  :cheers:

???   ???   :-X

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 09:57:07 pm »
I think the current storm here in the east is supposed to be mostly a rain event, with 50-75 mm predicted over a wide area. We had a couple of real doozys earlier this year that people may remember. The big one was in July - 300,000 customers were without electricity in Ontario alone at one point after winds measured at 130 km/h (and unofficially estimated in North Bay at 180 km/h after the local airport's anemometer broke) hit the area. Another in October had 80,000 customers without power and a huge lake-effect snowfall in the Fort Erie/Buffalo region. The marine forecast for Georgian Bay, where we have a cottage, posted a storm warning with 50+ knot winds and 5-metre waves, pretty large for that area.

My wife and I are actually thinking about moving to BC. I would say that I'm glad you folks are getting these "once in a decade" storms over with before we arrive, but we're getting our share too.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 10:06:14 pm »
The Coastal area is taking the brunt of this one, not that bad here, a bit of rain and wind but nothing serious yet.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +6/-1
  • It's a good day when you laugh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 10:11:17 pm »
Our usual (it seems) Nov. wetcoast day here.......but now wind is quite strong, with pretty powerful gusts.  Environment Canada called it wrong for here.  No out for the labby today.  This is the price for a wonderful summer and fall.  Nothing is free  :'(
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 10:14:33 pm by SeasideLass »
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Suess

avtoller

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 10:18:54 pm »
Our usual (it seems) Nov. wetcoast day here.......but now wind is quite strong, with pretty powerful gusts.  Environment Canada called it wrong for here.  No out for the labby today.  This is the price for a wonderful summer and fall.  Nothing is free  :'(

Yup, Victoria missed all of the fun this time. We are definitely over 125 mm for the last 24 hours.  :P

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 01:52:31 am »
Rain and wind on the Coast usually means a Chinook for Southern AB, so get ready to batten down the hatches, Arthur.  ;D

Too late for me, the wind blew my motorcycle over on Monday. Calgary doesn't know what wind is compared to Lethbridge. Building up again this evening, supposed to be up to 80 km/hr overnight. On the positive side, midnight and it's 8 degrees out.

mdxtasy

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 01:54:07 am »
Rain and wind on the Coast usually means a Chinook for Southern AB, so get ready to batten down the hatches, Arthur.  ;D

Too late for me, the wind blew my motorcycle over on Monday. Calgary doesn't know what wind is compared to Lethbridge. Building up again this evening, supposed to be up to 80 km/hr overnight. On the positive side, midnight and it's 8 degrees out.

Sitting in my home office listening to the wind howl.  It's dying down now at 12am but it was really giving the trees a good go. 

avtoller

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 11:22:26 am »
It turns out that the weather wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed here yesterday. Officially, we only received 126.4 mm (5") of rain.  :o :o It cleared overnight, but is now pouring again. At least the wind is down.  <sigh> The joys of living in paradise.  ::) ;D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 11:31:00 am »
Just a bit of warm wind and rain last night before midnight, think it pretty much blew itself out by the Okanagan. The offshoot of the storm on the Coast, is that we have a beauty, mild, sunny day with no rain forecast.

I'm driving the Mustang today.... ;D ;D :skid:

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 11:58:11 am »
And it will be good driving to the Island tomorrow morning, snow level will be at 1,200m on the Coq, so no issues (famous last words  :rofl2:  )   ;D

avtoller

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 12:08:58 pm »
And it will be good driving to the Island tomorrow morning, snow level will be at 1,200m on the Coq, so no issues (famous last words  :rofl2:  )   ;D

Sooo, where on the Island are you heading? Are you planning to drop by and say hello?  ;D

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 01:57:06 pm »

Sooo, where on the Island are you heading? Are you planning to drop by and say hello?  ;D

Going to Duke Point on the 7:45, do some business in Naniamo, then down to Victoria (well OK, Oak Bay) to see my Dad and some friends.

Your mayor was on the radio saying ALL roads to the Alberni Valley were closed, so I do not see any reason to head that way unless I can clear-cut Cathedral Grove for you   :rofl2:

In fact, with all the stuff my family has planed for my 4 day visit, I just can't swing a day trip to Port this trip.  But when McLeans mill is up and running again, I would like to come by.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 02:19:43 pm »
I talked to my parents last night, they didn't have power.   :rofl:

Sounds like it's been pretty nasty.  And to think, I left all that...

UmroAyyar

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 02:33:10 pm »