Author Topic: Artic's Final Build and Resting Place  (Read 373 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Artic's Final Build and Resting Place
« on: April 28, 2024, 01:56:29 am »
After installing a new kitchen $11K, and buying new windows, but not installed, for some of the cottage $3K, and spraying painting the whole place $1K. and a new roof 4 years prior $6K, last November my son comes to me and says he needs a boat house for the boats.  He can't stand launching his twin jet Yamaha with the tractor and putting the lift and dock out in the water each spring.  Besides, the sun is destroying these 2 boats which are new.  Boating buying is permanently over.  So we acquired this beach crawler from Wisconsin so it can, under it's own power, leave X spot, go into the water until the boat floats off.  To garage this thing with the boat in it requires a 12 foot door and a 13'8 ceiling.  I have the only property left for something like this and my cottage was not suitable for full time living.  Having a grandson and a new baby girl had a lot to do with this scheme.

So the deal is that we split the cost.  The building is 30x60ft, 13'8" interior ceiling on the slab.  Door will be 22 wide by 12 high.  A single level living quarters above the garage.  The front facing the water will have a deck 10 deep by 30ft about 14 feet in the air.  View should be different.  Very simple structure except for the foundation walls.  Roof 6/12 pitch.  The building will look very similar to my son's place.  Same front widow design, doors, trim, colour, etc.

So in December we got lucky because the snow had melted and the Engineering firm had an opportunity to map the property.  Engineering study and plan is now mandatory.  We needed structure drawings, septic waiver, hydro central metering, lots of stuff.  Went to submit the building permit application and I got a call from the building inspector that the municipality had placed an H1 hold on the property and it needed to be lifted before anything moved forward.  The cost to me was $1K, but it takes time; government time which is not the same as real time.  That took 2 months.  I was so upset about it.  Then the permit application gets uploaded to the municipality and all seems well, but no permit.  Doug Ford bought in legislation that states, providing everything is in order, that municipalities must issue a permit within 10 business days or the applicant gets his permit at no cost.  That would be $8500 back to me.  Well it turns out the building department sends all permits to another engineering firm for a second look at the applicants expense.  My son and I both lost it and he called the mayor and had a next day meeting with the CAO and in a few days you guessed it, permit approved.  Turns out no one at this other engineering firm had looked at it or was going to.  So bad.

Few pics.  Took 6 triaxles to haul the old cottage to the transfer station.  Have not got the bill for that yet.   Took down about 14 major trees.  Did a lot of burning.  Place got dug out.  14 triaxles of dirt/clay got trucked out.  No bill for that yet.  Ton of large rocks needed to come out.  Rips the hell out of the machines.  Footings are poured.  4 stone slingers this Monday and the foundation guys come back on Tuesday for 2 weeks, maybe 3.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 02:03:42 am by ArticSteve »

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
Re: Artic's Final Build and Resting Place
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 06:25:02 am »
Wow, you are a bear for punishment,  good luck with the build

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 11:08:36 pm »
Things moving at great pace.  Forming could be finished by Thursday.  Cement by Friday if the stars align.

Installed the main interior drain. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 11:12:39 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 06:16:33 am »
Jeezez man, you don't mess around!  You definitely walk-the-walk.  8)

:popcorn:

Neighbor to the north of me is renovating an older home and looks like it might have been easier if they tore it down and rebuilt.  Big old 2-story with lots of rot and not a plumb line in the place.  Entire gut job and rebuild with a couple of additions.  They've been at it since we moved in Feb and nowhere near done. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 06:24:46 am by KD »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 05:19:19 pm »
Can't believe you're doing it all again, that's determination! I am sure the 2nd (3rd? kinda) time around will be the smoothest with the experience you now have.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 09:53:26 pm »
Can't believe you're doing it all again, that's determination! I am sure the 2nd (3rd? kinda) time around will be the smoothest with the experience you now have.
:iagree:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 10:19:44 pm »
Residential building construction has ground to a halt.  That's good for me because I'm getting the right people on demand.  The problem is that costs are up, up, up and the loonie is and will be heading down, down, down so time was of the essence. 

This project is tricky because being on the water there are so many governmental agencies acting against you.  For example, at one point we had to take a hard stance against some idiot insisting we employ Coastal Engineers.  Because the intrusion of government is on a roll, I thought it better to get this done before they can stop us.  The boats also have a lot to do with it.     

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 11:49:09 pm »

.  Because the intrusion of government is on a roll, I thought it better to get this done before they can stop us.  The boats also have a lot to do with it.     

Yep.

You'd be at a standstill here with our Conservation Authority.

They're like a mafia...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2024, 01:44:39 am »
Forming guys are gone and they were great people.  As to their accuracy that remains to be seen.  Won't find that out till framing. On the surface it looks A1.

Next is the exterior waterproofing.   

Son and daughter-in-law both golf so he is talking a golf simulator.