Author Topic: Boats and boating thread  (Read 6787 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Boats and boating thread
« on: August 27, 2023, 12:20:41 am »
Canada has nearly 20% of the surface fresh water in the world.  Consequently, for the first half of my life recreational boats were a big part of the Canadian experience.  That has really deteriorated in the last few decades; the last decade severely.

Nevertheless, the few of us left must keep on showing the flag.

Until last year, I never bought a brand new boat and I've had like 20 of them of all different types.  Since my son is splitting the cost of a new fisher I've sold my present fisher to a guy down the shore that I have sold/traded with for many years and have given him a sweet heart deal.

That boat being a 1998 Starcraft 17, a true seventeen footer, because back then manufacturers didn't count the swim ladder in the total length like they do today.  ::)

Paid $9400 ten years ago in the middle of January.  No test driving  :).  Sold it's 75 Yamaha 2 stroke for $4K. that was original to the boat.  Yamaha's are such easy motors to move.  Bought a new Evenrude 115 Etec which I really loved.  I haven't touched it since new.  Fogs itself.  Company gone now.  :'(   Bought a new 9.9 Merc. Pro Kicker for $2300. out of Bass Pro also in that January.  $5K new presently.  Same exact motor.

A few pics.  First is coming out of the water yesterday.  Second is today after removing the tower, kicker, 2nd battery, removing the battery switches, essentially rewiring the boat, downrigger bases, etc.  The hull of the boat is absolutely spotless. Paint impeccable. Those Starcraft of that era at least were so well made.  Rarely trailered and winter stored indoors might be some of the reason.  But, for 5 months of the ever year it sat on a boat lift outdoors getting pummeled by Georgian Bay weather.  A few nights I thought for sure it would be sweped away.

Going down to Hamilton, unfortunately, to pick up the new one this Thursday.  Hoping for no fack-ups which is rare for boat Dealers as they install the motor which I assumed was done at the factory until I asked.  :P Originally, I just wanted the boat, but no go.  Lund, Princecraft, Starcraft, Crestliner et al will not sell just the boat.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 12:25:46 am by ArticSteve »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Boats and boating thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 01:29:16 am »
What’s the deets on the new unit?  That StarCraft is nice.

I’ve got a Regal 1900, with a 5.0 VP. Just a cruiser, but use it for fishing, floating, and pulling the kids around the lake. Regal makes a solid boat in this size range, not sure about how their larger stuff stacks up.

Dad has a Lowe 175, with a 115 Johnson 4 stroke. When serious about fishing it’s the boat we take. Not that great in the larger waves as it’s so light, but the engine is a gem.

As mentioned recently, I love being on the water. Can spend all day ona boat.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:33:59 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Boats and boating thread
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 04:17:42 am »
It's a Legend 20 XTR Troller, so a 19.5 foot welded aluminum boat actually made by Starweld in Indiana USA.  There they call it a Fusion DC 20 Pro.  It then gets sent up to Sudbury ON where Legend paints it.  Then the Dealer adds whatever engine you chose, but it's only a Mercury.  I've opted for a 115hp Pro XS CT which is unofficially rated at 130 hp.  The CT part stands for Command Thrust which means it uses the same gear case off the V6 150 HP.  So uses larger prop than the non CT.  Quite satisfied with that option because it's a 100 lbs. lighter than the standard 150 and the kicker is about 110 lbs plus battery which is 40 lbs.  It also costs $4500 less than the standard 150 hp.

Going to be a real improvement I would think.  Same weight from the motors and batteries, but on a boat that is 2.5 feet longer, a foot wider, and a foot taller.  Both front seats are suspension dual arm rest Captain type.  Only one is standard, but you gotta have 2 when they are suspension.  We'll take the other seats out of it.

We have a ton of rigging to do.  I've got 2 new Scotty DRs coming.  Those will take a day to install and wire.  Kicker to install, battery switches to install and I've never even seen the inside of the boat.  Just hope it's installation friendly so I can catch the end of salmon season.   

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 04:25:22 am »

I’ve got a Regal 1900, with a 5.0 VP. Just a cruiser, but use it for fishing, floating, and pulling the kids around the lake. Regal makes a solid boat in this size range, not sure about how their larger stuff stacks up.

Dad has a Lowe 175, with a 115 Johnson 4 stroke. When serious about fishing it’s the boat we take. Not that great in the larger waves as it’s so light, but the engine is a gem.

That boat looks in great shape.  The covers look new.  My covers look destroyed, but we just today got around to redoing their push on fasteners (whatever they're called).  Son bought a repair kit years ago and we only got motivated to fix them today because we sold it and don't want it looking getto for the next guy.  :rofl2:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 05:57:44 am »
Have you ever had to use the kicker?  Sounds like a decent setup and look forward to seeing and hearing about the finished product.  If you could have bought without the motor, what would you have picked instead?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 05:33:04 pm »

That boat looks in great shape.  The covers look new.  My covers look destroyed, but we just today got around to redoing their push on fasteners (whatever they're called).  Son bought a repair kit years ago and we only got motivated to fix them today because we sold it and don't want it looking getto for the next guy.  :rofl2:

Thanks. It’s an ‘08, I bought it in 2016 with 80 hrs on it. That’s also the original mooring cover. Quality fabric for sure. The older boy gives it a polish/wax once a year so it looks near new.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 06:29:53 pm »
I'm currently shopping...But it's still early in the process.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 08:45:12 pm »
Have you ever had to use the kicker?  Sounds like a decent setup and look forward to seeing and hearing about the finished product.  If you could have bought without the motor, what would you have picked instead?

Kicker is used 99% of the time the boat is in the water.  I was hoping to use my original 115 Etec on a larger NEW boat, but that's not possible I found out.  So since I'm splitting the cost of the new one, it's a more enjoyable process.

No new hobby car for Steve .... EVER as this boat displaces it.  Hence, in 2037, my grandson can roll my Mustang with an ancient thing called a clutch, providing the government allows 18 year olds to actually drive.  Hopefully, Ontario will be part of Texas by then so not a concern.  :) 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 08:56:54 pm »

Kicker is used 99% of the time the boat is in the water.  I was hoping to use my original 115 Etec on a larger NEW boat, but that's not possible I found out.  So since I'm splitting the cost of the new one, it's a more enjoyable process.

No new hobby car for Steve .... EVER as this boat displaces it.  Hence, in 2037, my grandson can roll my Mustang with an ancient thing called a clutch, providing the government allows 18 year olds to actually drive.  Hopefully, Ontario will be part of Texas by then so not a concern.  :)
Steve,

Some new engines have this adjustable "slow troll" feature where they will run from 600-1000rpm (with presets) so a kicker may not be required for how you fish.

I think Tohatsu was the first to come out with it. Made specifically for anglers.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 08:59:31 pm by rrocket »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 09:09:05 am »

Steve,

Some new engines have this adjustable "slow troll" feature where they will run from 600-1000rpm (with presets) so a kicker may not be required for how you fish.

I think Tohatsu was the first to come out with it. Made specifically for anglers.
Interesting, I've only ever heard people using the kicker as a backup in case of an emergency.  So it's use as a troller motor basically in this application.  Well at least the old kicker can be transferred to the new one and saves a little bit of cash (considering how expensive outboards have gotten).

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 10:35:45 am »
This is what most of my boating looks like.   18' pontoon with a 35hp Evinrude triple and an electric trolling motor

https://youtu.be/qo9GieFqXjI?si=KDwsmilvjCrkP2Av
Mr Pickypants

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 11:21:56 am »
This is what most of my boating looks like.   18' pontoon with a 35hp Evinrude triple and an electric trolling motor

I know that some people hate on pontoon boats, but I actually really like them for leisure.  Great for fishing, swimming, cruising, having friends along for a ride.  Are they sexy, no, fast, very rarely and even then not that fast, but damn it, they are like the minivans of on the water and are so useful.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 11:48:42 am »

I know that some people hate on pontoon boats, but I actually really like them for leisure.  Great for fishing, swimming, cruising, having friends along for a ride.  Are they sexy, no, fast, very rarely and even then not that fast, but damn it, they are like the minivans of on the water and are so useful.

Comfy lounges for sure but at least in my experiences can be dodgy if the weather turns nasty on a larger lake. Can't really put the bow into the wind on these things. What's the procedure on these things when the waves get nasty? Run downwind and hope for the best?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 11:59:55 am »

Comfy lounges for sure but at least in my experiences can be dodgy if the weather turns nasty on a larger lake. Can't really put the bow into the wind on these things. What's the procedure on these things when the waves get nasty? Run downwind and hope for the best?

No big waves on our small lake, which is where a pontoon should stay.   Only good on calm water, catches wind like crazy too.
Dogs love how stable and easy it is to get on and off it, we use it as a comfy dock extension and swim off of it too.
I just hauled it out and covered it  few days ago, gotta head out east.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 12:27:15 pm »
For cruising and swimming they can't be beat.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 12:47:36 pm »

100% depends on the body of water.  On a large lake (like one of the great lakes) not so great, ocean, again not so great.  But on majority of lakes, rivers, waterways, they are comfy living room on the water.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2023, 01:04:51 pm »
Never seen a pontoon on Great Lakes water.  However, on protected waterways I think they are the leading sellers.  They start at $70K.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2023, 01:17:43 pm »

Steve,

I've been using ITroll on the 9.9 Pro-Kicker since I bought the motor in 2014.  I had trouble with it shortly afterwards and phoned the company and the inventor guy answered the phone in California and sent me a new one FEDX air at his expense.  I was blown away.  It's been perfect since.

Itroll is by far the leader in micro throttle control.  Not trolling with out it.  Visit Walleye Central, Great Lakes fishing, IFish et al and it's 99% Itroll. 

https://www.itroll.us/z.buy.single.motor.html

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2023, 03:04:18 pm »

Agree, great party platform for a day of beers, BBQ and swimming.....although, as stated above, not the place to be if the weather kicks up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 03:06:34 pm by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 10:56:12 pm »
Picked up the new boat today.  4 hours of very low stress.  Got it on the water for 1/2 hour.  Needs another 1 1/2 hour to get past the strict 2 hour break in.  :P   Very solid.  Engine is fantastic.  Original dealer started acting up on Monday indicating a delay.  Told that Dealer to FO and ended up buying direct from Legend in Barrie which is an easy drive for us. 

Legend Barrie sells 300 new craft per year and we were the only customers in the place from noon to 2 pm.  Tells me discretionary speeding has dried up in all things RV.  Very satisfied with the deal.  150 PRO XS, hydraulic steering, ss prop.  Additional captain seat and sliding base for NIL which was $2K at the other guys.

Every 10 minutes must run engine @6000 rpm for exactly 1 minute.  Saw 50 mph on the GPS (top down, no kicker, no second battery, no heavy downriggers, no tower, very low fuel.  Thinking 45 mph when those things are added back on not that it matters).  Got a full day of installing ahead.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 11:00:07 pm by ArticSteve »