Author Topic: The Birdwatching Thread  (Read 56572 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: The Birdwatching Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2018, 07:41:32 pm »
Sitting on the patio after a bike ride, enjoying beer and snacks while watching for birds. Had another yellow-rumped warbler a few minutes ago. Very pretty.

My wife is on the iPad trying to identify a bird call nearby. Hummingbird feeder is on the cherry tree in front of her (none so far today), suet for the woodpecker on the pine to the right, and the sunflower seeds on the next tree to the right.

Hope everyone else is enjoying a nice long-weekend afternoon as well. :cheers:

Looks Boss!
Us, we're entertaining my Mother for a visit. ::)
Rilton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2018, 07:47:46 pm »
Looks Boss!
Us, we're entertaining my Mother for a visit. ::)
Rilton

She's got you so rattled, you can't even spell you name right!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 08:56:11 pm »
Hummingbirds in the back yard again today. Caught this one napping in a tree after a good feed. We think it’s a rufous hummingbird.

Don’t really have a good camera for this kind of thing, but my wife grabbed our old Pentax DSLR with a crappy, kit zoom lens and got a shot.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2018, 09:42:13 pm »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2018, 09:59:58 pm »
Interesting to see where the Whiskey Jack name came from

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2018, 10:11:44 am »
This bird stunned itself on my window the other day.  Luckily, he managed to land upright in the bush below.  I was able to get close and snap a couple of pictures.  He later flew off to the nearby lilac bush, so I assume he ended up being okay.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2018, 11:47:50 am »
Good shot. You’re in Winnipeg, right? I’ll try to figure out what it is.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2018, 12:17:06 pm »

Yes, please.

I was amazed he let me get that close.  I figured he had a broken wing and couldn't fly off, but after 5 minutes he recovered and flew off to the nearby lilac bush.  He must've just been stunned.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2018, 03:29:05 pm »

Yes, please.

I was amazed he let me get that close.  I figured he had a broken wing and couldn't fly off, but after 5 minutes he recovered and flew off to the nearby lilac bush.  He must've just been stunned.
It's some type of warbler I think. Positive ID will come from that stripe through the eye.

Warblers are tricky, as many varieties have different plumage through the year. (Spring or fall plumage)

I'll check my book later. But the eye stripe is key IMO.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:37:34 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2018, 05:17:41 pm »
Today, on the way home from work, and on the highway, an immature bald eagle came flying out of the treeline and looked like he was going to smack right into the side of my truck.  :o.  It turned away a few feet from the truck and i could see that he was being harassed by a couple of crows.   Such a huge bird, and even bigger in the immature stage. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 05:43:25 pm »
Mrs tpl told me that the bird house which had two families of birds last summer has a family of Chickadees this year.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2018, 05:22:20 pm »
Okay, finally had some time and an internet connection. I dunno, but am thinking maybe GBA’s bird is a Philadelphia vireo?

Seems to have the eye stripe rrocket mentioned, plus the general shape and beak seem similar. Honestly, it was the green wings/back that struck me first, though. Seems to fit, as with the yellowish breast.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:25:34 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2018, 01:56:39 am »
Tennessee warbler....which look very similar to the Vireo?  Here's pics of the Tennessee...notice the differing plumage throughout the year

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:10:18 am by rrocket »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2018, 10:41:58 am »
Yeah, for sure that looks like it too.

Now that I’ve started looking into it, it seems kind of ridiculous how many similar, but slightly different, species of birds there are out there. And then there are apparently hybrids and regional variations that aren’t even officially recognized as species anyway.  ???

Seems like a guy could drive himself crazy with the minutiae of this whole birding thing. I think I’m just going to be happy with looking at the things and enjoying them, without getting too carried away with figuring out what precisely it is.

Saw what I think was a killdeer in BC last week. Funny little thing the way it ran across the grass with its legs pumping madly and body staying perfectly still.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2018, 11:20:12 am »
Went kayaking by myself last night for an hour, or so, and the whooshing sound coming off the wings of the ducks as they landed behind me was pretty cool.  Air brakes. 8)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2018, 04:32:46 pm »

Saw what I think was a killdeer in BC last week. Funny little thing the way it ran across the grass with its legs pumping madly and body staying perfectly still.

They are fun when they have a nest. As you go near the nest, they pretend they're injured...their wing looks broken, they're writhing, etc. As you move closer to investigate, they move off a bit more and do the same bit again.

Pretty neat to see.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2018, 08:29:12 pm »

They are fun when they have a nest. As you go near the nest, they pretend they're injured...their wing looks broken, they're writhing, etc. As you move closer to investigate, they move off a bit more and do the same bit again.

Pretty neat to see.

They nest at Shannonville Motorsport Park in the spring and when you're marshalling you have to avoid stepping on the nests and little fluffball chicks.  Parents running all over squawking with "broken wings", very cute.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2018, 08:34:08 pm »

Pretty neat to see.

They nest at Shannonville Motorsport Park in the spring and when you're marshalling you have to avoid stepping on the nests and little fluffball chicks.  Parents running all over squawking with "broken wings", very cute.
The little ones are funny looking...little fluff balls with too long legs...and they move surprisingly fast!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2018, 07:35:56 am »

Pretty neat to see.

We get nesting Eagles, Falcons, and Ospreys on our radio towers quite often.  When that happens we are not allowed to disturb them, so whatever work is required has to be put on hold until the chicks leave the nest.  My busiest site is on a rooftop in the city and we have a major upgrade put on hold because of a nesting peregrine falcon.  Work was supposed to completed by now.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2018, 11:38:44 am »
There's a Cardinal outside my window right now.