Author Topic: The Contractor/Handy home owner thread - Power tools, fun toys & cool projects  (Read 204746 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
The new trailer fits into the garage.  Now I need to clean..

How is business?  My season is coming to an end.  Thank heavens. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

I'm guessing you had a good work season.  It seems like we haven't seen too much of you around here, so you must have been busy.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I'm guessing you had a good work season.  It seems like we haven't seen too much of you around here, so you must have been busy.

To be honest.  It has been the worst season ever.  The early rain in spring, made the grass grow very quickly and steadily all season.  The fall has been awful as well, lots of rain.  Trying to do leaf cleanup is hell.  There was not a week where I wasn't cutting.  Often mid July to late August, lawns can go 8-12 days without cutting.   Not this year.  And at times, I had to bag the grass, because it was so long it would clog the mower.  It would be like 2 days of rain.  1 day of sun.  But we can't cut 50 lawns in one day.  Then 2 days of rain, and a few days of sun.  And your working your ass off to get the lawns under control.  And this year I was offering extra services like weed control.  So I was falling behind on that.  And falling behind on invoicing.  And staff problems.  Hard time with 2nd helper, not very dependable.  Very knowledgeable when we did side jobs, like tree pruning, planting, etc.  But difficult to work with.  I even paid him more than the student I had working for me for 2 years, who was very dependable.  So I let both of them go at the end of this season.  Hiring someone full time (non-student) next season.  Considering 1/2 partner.  And will have my bookkeeper do my invoicing, it's worth it. 

I also wanted a break from the forum.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

To be honest.  It has been the worst season ever.  The early rain in spring, made the grass grow very quickly and steadily all season.  The fall has been awful as well, lots of rain.  Trying to do leaf cleanup is hell.  There was not a week where I wasn't cutting.  Often mid July to late August, lawns can go 8-12 days without cutting.   Not this year.  And at times, I had to bag the grass, because it was so long it would clog the mower.  It would be like 2 days of rain.  1 day of sun.  But we can't cut 50 lawns in one day.  Then 2 days of rain, and a few days of sun.  And your working your ass off to get the lawns under control.  And this year I was offering extra services like weed control.  So I was falling behind on that.  And falling behind on invoicing.  And staff problems.  Hard time with 2nd helper, not very dependable.  Very knowledgeable when we did side jobs, like tree pruning, planting, etc.  But difficult to work with.  I even paid him more than the student I had working for me for 2 years, who was very dependable.  So I let both of them go at the end of this season.  Hiring someone full time (non-student) next season.  Considering 1/2 partner.  And will have my bookkeeper do my invoicing, it's worth it. 

Well, I guess if you give out a seasonal price, then yeah, that was a bad season for you.  If you're paid per cut, though, then you're gold.

From the sounds of it, however, your business runs off the former, and not the latter.

What do you do in the winter?  Ever think about getting a used 3/4 ton truck with a snow plow and doing snow clearing for the same customers?  Put a snowblower in the back to do sidewalks and walkways?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Well, I guess if you give out a seasonal price, then yeah, that was a bad season for you.  If you're paid per cut, though, then you're gold.

From the sounds of it, however, your business runs off the former, and not the latter.

What do you do in the winter?  Ever think about getting a used 3/4 ton truck with a snow plow and doing snow clearing for the same customers?  Put a snowblower in the back to do sidewalks and walkways?

Most lawn companies book by the season.  Usually something like 24 cuts multiplied by the cost of one cut (approx $25-40), depending on the size of course).  When quoting, I always assume I am going to cut 24 cuts.  So I make a profit.  What I don't assume is bagging, doing double cuts, needing extra staff so they can be done during the time frame. 

My business plan was something like work 4-5 days and have 2-3 days off.  I could easily do 12 lawns in one day.  And I have around 50 clients.  But too many things screwed my schedule.  Weather, the move, taking care of the kids, paperwork.  So I need to adjust that business plan.  More like, work 3-4 days, 3-4 days off.  Not leave so little wiggle room.  If I have extra time, great, easy to find extra work.  All season I was turning down extra work, due to being behind.  Don't get me wrong, I made money.  But I wasted a lot of time and effort in the process.  Better planning, and more efficiency.  Slowly, but surely. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Most lawn companies book by the season.  Usually something like 24 cuts multiplied by the cost of one cut (approx $25-40), depending on the size of course).  When quoting, I always assume I am going to cut 24 cuts.  So I make a profit.  What I don't assume is bagging, doing double cuts, needing extra staff so they can be done during the time frame. 

My business plan was something like work 4-5 days and have 2-3 days off.  I could easily do 12 lawns in one day.  And I have around 50 clients.  But too many things screwed my schedule.  Weather, the move, taking care of the kids, paperwork.  So I need to adjust that business plan.  More like, work 3-4 days, 3-4 days off.  Not leave so little wiggle room.  If I have extra time, great, easy to find extra work.  All season I was turning down extra work, due to being behind.  Don't get me wrong, I made money.  But I wasted a lot of time and effort in the process.  Better planning, and more efficiency.  Slowly, but surely.

Well, you're still in the relative early stages of your business, as in you've only been doing it for a few years, if I'm not wrong.  And, I think you've also never had this many customers? 

So really its just growing pains.  Eventually you'll find what works best for you and your business, and things should go smoothly. 

Still, you wouldn't be a self-employed business owner if you didn't have to put out fires and deal with headaches from time to time...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
When I lived in Burlington, some of my lawns clients wanted me to do snow removal.  These clients where all within my neighborhood.  So at the beginning I would walk to some, or throw the snowblower in the back of the van (on a cargo cover, yes Weathertech!)  Then I got a ramp that attached to the hitch the following year.  3rd year I got an enclosed utility trailer.  Which is posted somewhere on the forum.  I would grow year to year, as my time would let me.  As the kids are both in full time school, I can expand again. 

I have decided this will be my final year for snow removal in Burlington.  I am in Ancaster now, about 22 km away.   I have hired someone to manage the route this year, if he needs help, I will help him.  I am going to sit this year out mostly.  Next season, I will advertise around here.  Won't be too hired.  I already have 6, without advertising.  They just come up to me.  When I have lawn mowers in the trailer.  So I will probably do 4 of them, as 2 are in my court, and 2 are on the way to my kids school this year. 

As far as a truck.  I am not sure how you would remove snow from a driveway with a plow at the front.  You going to push the snow up to the garage door?  And a lot of the houses around here, have driveways that would get marked up easily by the plow. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
^sounds like a rough season buddy!! You should consider a part-time student next summer to do your invoicing, perhaps a college or Uni student studying business, accounting, etc... Running your own business is a tough gig and I can't remember what the % was that fail, but it's high... so perseverance is what will get you thru this. My uncle almost had to close his doors several times on his machine shop, but managed to make it... and a few million in the end  ;)
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
^sounds like a rough season buddy!! You should consider a part-time student next summer to do your invoicing, perhaps a college or Uni student studying business, accounting, etc... Running your own business is a tough gig and I can't remember what the % was that fail, but it's high... so perseverance is what will get you thru this. My uncle almost had to close his doors several times on his machine shop, but managed to make it... and a few million in the end  ;)

Well this my 2nd year on the books.  And after both seasons, I am still ahead.  My bookkeeper doesn't charge much.  They already do my taxes, and payroll, so I am just going to add this service.  I suspect soon, he may want me to do stuff for him.  So it looks like we may be able to work something out. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Well this my 2nd year on the books.  And after both seasons, I am still ahead.  My bookkeeper doesn't charge much.  They already do my taxes, and payroll, so I am just going to add this service.  I suspect soon, he may want me to do stuff for him.  So it looks like we may be able to work something out.

Ahhh... that would work out well... barter method saves you both  ;)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
As far as a truck.  I am not sure how you would remove snow from a driveway with a plow at the front.  You going to push the snow up to the garage door?  And a lot of the houses around here, have driveways that would get marked up easily by the plow.

Easy.  You drive the truck up the unplowed driveway with the plow up, then drop the plow and pull the snow back.  Then you push the snow at the end of the driveway into a pile.  It's called back blading.

And, as for the marking of the driveway, as long as you have you plow set up with the pucks at the bottom, it shouldn't leave too many marks.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Easy.  You drive the truck up the unplowed driveway with the plow up, then drop the plow and pull the snow back.  Then you push the snow at the end of the driveway into a pile.  It's called back blading.

And, as for the marking of the driveway, as long as you have you plow set up with the pucks at the bottom, it shouldn't leave too many marks.

I rarely see that around here anymore... most of the companies have a tractor with the snowblower attachment on the back of it. Three of my neighbours already have the posts at the end of their driveways for that service this season. Same principle, operator backs up to the garage, drops the snowblower attachment, drags it a bit forward & then blows in on the lawn... waaaaayyyyyyy quicker than a guy in pick-up.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I rarely see that around here anymore... most of the companies have a tractor with the snowblower attachment on the back of it. Three of my neighbours already have the posts at the end of their driveways for that service this season. Same principle, operator backs up to the garage, drops the snowblower attachment, drags it a bit forward & then blows in on the lawn... waaaaayyyyyyy quicker than a guy in pick-up.

Yeah, but putting a used plow on a truck that you already own is way cheaper than buying a tractor and a snowblower attachment.  Plus you then need to load that tractor onto a trailer if you have another driveway more than a few kms away. 

I think it's just easier with the truck, logistically speaking.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I will think about it.  Lease is up on the GC Sept 2019.  Hoping by then my FIL will want to sell me his F150.  I know it's a Ford.  But it's just for work.  I would rather have a GMC Sierra. 

I would have to take make sure I had enough driveways that held 4 or 6 cars.  Because about 2/3 of mine now are driveways that hold 2 cars only.  Not really worth it.  I can do those pretty fast with the snowblower.  So it's a big investment.  But if done right, I can see how it would work.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
The trusses were so big they had to built in two parts, known as 'piggybacks'.  A bottom part, and a top part.

If you're there for two weeks, are you a team lead, then?
No, just a retired guy looking to keep busy so I volunteer 2-3 days a week for the season.  Rather do something constructive/productive with my time and energy than wasting it at the gym.  Habitat have extended the volunteer season into 3rd week of November because they're so far behind schedule this year.  They poured footings for 2 more houses last week.

Last summer I was one of many crew leaders during the Carter build.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
The trusses were so big they had to built in two parts, known as 'piggybacks'.  A bottom part, and a top part.

If you're there for two weeks, are you a team lead, then?
No, just a retired guy looking to keep busy so I volunteer 2-3 days a week for the season.  Rather do something constructive/productive with my time and energy than wasting it at the gym.  Habitat have extended the volunteer season into 3rd week of November because they're so far behind schedule this year.  They poured footings for 2 more houses last week.

Last summer I was one of many crew leaders during the Carter build.

I'm retired too and prefer to keep busy doing constructive things. It's nice to look back later and see what you have accomplished.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
When we had the first snow storm just under 2 weeks ago.  I had to bring my snowblowers from the shed in the back to the garage.  One of the wheels cracked on my 2 stage small Toro.  It's 10 years old at least.  I was thinking of selling it for parts or something.  Then I remembered last year putting some money into it.  Changed the paddles, the cables, and the pull cord.  Had some problems finding the part online.  Only 2 sites had it.  With the nut and wheel, it's like $20 US each.  So I started to order extra belts, blades, and air filters for my lawn mowers.  Since the shipping is a flat rate of $15 to Canada.  $350 later!  I just hope no surprises with the lawn mowers next year.   

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Well it's been a year almost  since I started this company.   The economy in Calgary is pretty rough.  I've never seen it this low since I lived in AB  some builders have laydoff 40% off all staff.  People not spending any money.  I have the chance to maybe have a good project management job and decent $$ so it might be wise to take it and put the company on hold.  I'd like to stay self employed but the circumstance are the least favorable.   Interview tomorrow... 

Still thinking of advertising for commercial construction...

Was talking with a general contractor friend of mine a few days ago and he said the same thing.  He's been on his own for a little over a year and manages to keep busy, but just not making any money.  He's also applying for a project management position.

I haven't been busy at all for the last few months.  First time in the nine years i've been doing this job.  Capital work is almost at a standstill. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
GTA is still busy , but get outside of the GTA it is dead
Cap and trade money is gone for retro jobs

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
What's stopping you from taking this job for now and going back to self-employment when the economy picks back up?

You'll either decide that you want to go back to working for yourself, or not. Both are fine choices.