Author Topic: The Contractor/Handy home owner thread - Power tools, fun toys & cool projects  (Read 204853 times)

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
Nice job GBA!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
You didn't want to deal with that textured ceiling while you were in there?  :P

No.

lol, I wouldn't either, that stuff is nasty to deal with. Don't know that I've ever seen it in a bathroom before though; I am surprised that the steam hasn't deteriorated it.

When we bought our previous house we did a bunch of renos and it had them in most rooms. I took them all down myself – had a fairly good technique by the end of it but it was definitely a messy job.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
You didn't want to deal with that textured ceiling while you were in there?  :P

No.

lol, I wouldn't either, that stuff is nasty to deal with. Don't know that I've ever seen it in a bathroom before though; I am surprised that the steam hasn't deteriorated it.

When we bought our previous house we did a bunch of renos and it had them in most rooms. I took them all down myself – had a fairly good technique by the end of it but it was definitely a messy job.

yeah I did it before,  fairly easy but time consuming and messy.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Quick turnaround GBA, especially for a DIY project! I'd be hesitant to remove the popcorn ceiling as well, especially in an older house. Its probably covering up a lot of drywall warts that would be a PITA to refinish, and potentially full of asbestos depending on when it was applied.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Quick turnaround GBA, especially for a DIY project! I'd be hesitant to remove the popcorn ceiling as well, especially in an older house. Its probably covering up a lot of drywall warts that would be a PITA to refinish, and potentially full of asbestos depending on when it was applied.

I took a week off work, and the first four days were pretty much non-stop go - 10-12 hour days pretty much.  Demo, then cleanup, then plumbing, then tub, then concrete board, then mud/tape. 

By Wednesday, I was well into the mud stage, and basically just sat around waiting for the mud to fully dry before sanding and adding another skim coat.  Same goes for paint on Fri/Sat.  I actually felt like I was on vacation a little bit, watching movies and playing video games. 

Then Sunday was another go-go-go day. 

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

I took a week off work, and the first four days were pretty much non-stop go - 10-12 hour days pretty much.  Demo, then cleanup, then plumbing, then tub, then concrete board, then mud/tape. 

By Wednesday, I was well into the mud stage, and basically just sat around waiting for the mud to fully dry before sanding and adding another skim coat.  Same goes for paint on Fri/Sat.  I actually felt like I was on vacation a little bit, watching movies and playing video games. 

How many trips to Home depot/Stars/Windsor PW?   ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

How many trips to Home depot/Stars/Windsor PW?   ;D

Seriously, 12-13. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
potentially full of asbestos depending on when it was applied.

Wow, did not know that

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
^^ Yup a lot of drywall compound from the 70's has this in it. It wasn't just plaster. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
potentially full of asbestos depending on when it was applied.

Wow, did not know that
I believe the law passed around 1992-3 ish banning asbestos but they were allowed to sell existing supplies which can be up to 1996.  u

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
So, I'm a long way from an electrician.  I can replace light switches, timers and outlets without major issue, but trying to figure out where wires go from box to box isn't really my thing. 

Anyway, our electrical outlet in the bathroom has been tied to the bathroom light switch for as long as we've been in the house.  Annoying as hell.  The wife can't use a plug-in air freshener in the bathroom, and electric toothbrushes don't charge unless the light is on, etc.   I've poked around in the electrical boxes (light switch is outside the bathroom, so separate boxes) a few times over the last few years to see if I could figure it out and change it, but no luck. 

Well, yesterday, seeing as our new light fixture is dimmable, the wife asked me to put a dimmer switch on the bathroom light.  I wasn't enthusiastic about having an outlet tied to a dimmer switch, so I had another look.  Turns out the electrician who wired the house left a single blank wire run between the two boxes, not hooked up to anything.  I checked for continuity, and confirmed it was the same wire.  Jackpot.  I rewired the circuits so that the outlet is now run off the hot side, and Bob's your uncle.  Plug is now on all the time, and the light is dimmable.  Kudos to the original electrician for leaving the wire.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The shower walls came in.  I installed them yesterday.  Bathroom is now basically complete, save for a couple small details like a curtain rod, towel bar, etc. 

The light in the bathroom makes the paint look green.  It's actually blue, to match the blue in the shower wall.  I'm strongly considering changing the light out for something cooler, but the wife likes this one, so we'll see.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Looks great!

Kind of odd they wired the bathroom that way to begin with

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Painted the little girls room this weekend, just a color change on the walls. Started the job using my trusty Canadian Tire paint roller and rollers I had left over from pre-move as well. Ran out of rollers so opened up a package I had bought down here....well, at that point I learned that while the standard roller size in Canada is 9.5", it's 9" in the US. WTH!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile

, at that point I learned that while the standard roller size in Canada is 9.5", it's 9" in the US. WTH!

Metric would be my guess!

240mm
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Pretty cool Customer Service Story from Moen:

So last Tuesday I was finishing up the bathroom, and while I was installing the shower faucet handle, I lost the little set screw that holds it to the valve body parts.  And by 'lost', I mean it went down the drain.  It's  pretty specific set screw, meant to hold the handle on without any play.  I went to Crappy Tire to source a replacement stainless machine screw, and while it prevents the handle from falling off, it's a little 'floppy'. 

So I call Emco on Friday to see if I can order a replacement.  I do the research for my specific faucet and have the part # in hand.  Emco informs me they don't have a SKU for that particular part# and to call Moen directly to order a replacement.  Fair Enough.  So my next call is to Moen.  Moen just covered it under warranty and is sending the screw free of charge.  Small item, I know, but that level of customer service still resonates with me, even though I admitted to them it was my fault I lost it.