Author Topic: Some People ...  (Read 450984 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Some People ...
« Reply #860 on: March 25, 2017, 03:50:10 pm »
... and keep in mind... not the 60k, it's the grand or so that we might make on a car... that is what we'll see.
retail customers often don't get this...they think the $60k car they are buying is $60k profit for the dealer...like the cars are magically grown on a car tree in the back, so they just get picked when ripe and sell on the lot like fruit...there is SO much involved from raw materials to keys in hand, it's mind boggling.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #861 on: March 25, 2017, 04:07:17 pm »
agree cord... i think he is trying to convince his company to buy the car... he does something like airport limo stuff for a smaller company. i bet his company has no idea he is going this...

for sure jeff... people give us offers as if the cars are free... yet then trading a car in, they get pissed that i can't give them retail value. everyone seems to think they are somehow better than than the others... well, i can negotiate a better deal... i got a better deal on the last one too... and my trade is super desirable... and i took extra great care of it... doesn't matter. you trade at wholesale, you buy at retail.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 25, 2017, 04:34:43 pm »
Had to deal with an "offended" customer today. The offense? Not offering a big enough discount. Here is an unofficial, edited transcript of the conversation:

"So I understand you are disappointed with the amount of discount we can offer you?"

"Yes, I am very offended that you are only willing to drop your price by $700."

"OK, what kind of price did you have in mind?"

"I want at least $7000 off. I told you I am paying cash."

"Get out."
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #863 on: March 25, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »
Had to deal with an "offended" customer today. The offense? Not offering a big enough discount. Here is an unofficial, edited transcript of the conversation:

"So I understand you are disappointed with the amount of discount we can offer you?"

"Get out."

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 25, 2017, 11:38:41 pm »

"Get out."

Lol what was this person buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #865 on: March 26, 2017, 11:41:59 am »
Yeah. Expecting 7 grand? Lamborghini maybe?
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 26, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »

"Get out."
LOL...i hated these kinds of customers back in my days of retail...they'd brag about paying cash, like he's doing me a favour...i hated cash deals...i don't want $7k in cash in the till...and i don't want to count it at the end of the day, nor take it to the bank to deposit it...give me a debit card or credit card and keep your dirty cash.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 26, 2017, 03:02:21 pm »

A used Edge.  :)

I get why old guys (it's always old guys) are proud of themselves for being able to pay cash for a car. Good for them for having enough financial success to do it. But expecting a car dealership to reward them for it? That makes no sense to me. These cash guys are not as common as they used to be but their numbers are being somewhat replaced by a slightly younger generation that believes that by paying with their line of credit they are somehow entitled to the mythical cash discount.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #868 on: March 26, 2017, 03:07:40 pm »
I'm trying to sell my old jet-skis and trailer, all I'm getting is low-ballers who want to pay "$1000 cash".

Sorry, only accepting payment in popsicle sticks.

Mr Pickypants

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #869 on: March 27, 2017, 12:44:47 pm »

A used Edge.  :)

I get why old guys (it's always old guys) are proud of themselves for being able to pay cash for a car. Good for them for having enough financial success to do it. But expecting a car dealership to reward them for it? That makes no sense to me. These cash guys are not as common as they used to be but their numbers are being somewhat replaced by a slightly younger generation that believes that by paying with their line of credit they are somehow entitled to the mythical cash discount.

What's the reasoning for manufacturers offering certain discounts only for cash purchases?  Maybe they're getting that idea from those promotions?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #870 on: March 27, 2017, 01:25:27 pm »

What's the reasoning for manufacturers offering certain discounts only for cash purchases?  Maybe they're getting that idea from those promotions?

I can see how that might be confusing the issue.  "Cash buyers get $3000 discount, financing people get ..."

And it always looks like the financing people get less, or nothing, but the reality is that they usually are getting some form of subsidized interest rate that often amounts to the cash amount that cash buyers receive.

But the ads do kinda make it look like there's some great reason to be paying cash.

We've been cash buyers for quite some time now, but I don't make a big stink about it at the dealer - WTF?  Do people really do that?  It enters the conversation when the salesperson keeps trying to tell me payments instead of prices.  Even if I was financing, I still want the price - ugh.  When we bought the Corolla we went to a dealer that didn't seem to understand anything other than monthly payments.  "That black one is $325, and that silver one is $400."

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 27, 2017, 01:36:54 pm »

I can see how that might be confusing the issue.  "Cash buyers get $3000 discount, financing people get ..."

And it always looks like the financing people get less, or nothing, but the reality is that they usually are getting some form of subsidized interest rate that often amounts to the cash amount that cash buyers receive.

But the ads do kinda make it look like there's some great reason to be paying cash.

We've been cash buyers for quite some time now, but I don't make a big stink about it at the dealer - WTF?  Do people really do that?  It enters the conversation when the salesperson keeps trying to tell me payments instead of prices.  Even if I was financing, I still want the price - ugh.  When we bought the Corolla we went to a dealer that didn't seem to understand anything other than monthly payments.  "That black one is $325, and that silver one is $400."
while a vast majority of people finance their vehicle purchases, it is still crucial to know the actual price of the vehicles.

back in my consumer electronics days, one of our competitors was a store called "Krazy Kelly's", who sold various electronics (TVs, stereos, camcorders, etc)...however, their "thing" was targeting people with little "cash" (or means to pay now) and focused more on the payments...they rarely talked about a stereo being $2000, instead it was $149/month...the danger is they were able to sell pretty much anything for any amount of money...as (sadly) most of their customer base was not very knowledgeable about the products they were looking to purchase, or even making good financial decisions in general, they often grossly overpaid for their purchases...by selling "payments", they end up charging a customer $2500 for a TV or stereo that we sold for $799...i knew a few people who worked there...it angered me that i made $40 selling that TV and they made $500, not out of jealousy but in how they would take advantage of people like that...those sales guys made a lot of money, but it was all dirty money.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #872 on: March 27, 2017, 01:43:32 pm »

I assume because that's what really matters to their bank accounts.   I think it's not as bad as long as they keep everything else constant -- financing vs. leasing, length of the term, etc.  It gets messy when the salesperson increases the term by another 12 months to lower the monthly payment.

And yeah, I know in most cases financing deals are offered when there are cash purchase discounts.  Sometimes though, I've seen cases where ONLY cash discounts were available on some cars.  People who are used to seeing those ads would probably assume that they're entitled to huge discounts for paying cash.

Years ago, my friend bought a brand new Escalade from a US dealer (he lived there at the time) with cash and got something like $10K or more off.

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #873 on: March 27, 2017, 01:57:29 pm »
I saw the "cash discount" when my GenCoup was offered with 0% financing - pay 28k cash or finance 30k at 0%. It amounted to about 2% interest rate.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #874 on: March 27, 2017, 03:20:25 pm »

I assume because that's what really matters to their bank accounts.   I think it's not as bad as long as they keep everything else constant -- financing vs. leasing, length of the term, etc.  It gets messy when the salesperson increases the term by another 12 months to lower the monthly payment.

And yeah, I know in most cases financing deals are offered when there are cash purchase discounts.  Sometimes though, I've seen cases where ONLY cash discounts were available on some cars.  People who are used to seeing those ads would probably assume that they're entitled to huge discounts for paying cash.

Years ago, my friend bought a brand new Escalade from a US dealer (he lived there at the time) with cash and got something like $10K or more off.

I remember when leasing my Mazda6.  They had 2nd generations going for $6000 off, but only if you paid cash.  Finance was 0%.  But lease/finance was 0.5% for me (loyalty discount) on the new 3rd gen.  If I had the cash, I would have been very tempted to get the 2nd gen Mazda6 V6 with leather.  So few of those around. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #875 on: April 03, 2017, 11:15:56 am »
i have such a tough one here... think i mentioned the guy before. super nice... not brilliant, but not dumb... way too naive. had bought a wrangler off me, traded it in after a year and bought a truck... co-signer for a young girl he barely knew who was getting in over her head on a new wrangler (not from me this time)..

... quell suprise... she stopped making payments... so he has been making them... and she took the jeep into some gnarly places and now the engine isn't running right and it has other issues... she is one of these kids that thinks, "well, it's not running, so i don't have to keep paying for it"... and she doesn't... because this other guy is picking up her slack.

so now he wants to trade it in. pile that it is. oh, and of course she rolled super negative equity from a truck into it. so they owe like 50k on a jeep that hardly runs. he is going to have to trade in his truck to help offset things (his idea, not mine).

just a :censor: show.... so people... don't cosign for people that aren't family. even then, only like, your spouse or kid...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #876 on: April 03, 2017, 05:15:25 pm »
Holy crap...  I just don't get people sometimes.   :shake:

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #877 on: April 04, 2017, 11:16:58 am »
i have such a tough one here... think i mentioned the guy before. super nice... not brilliant, but not dumb... way too naive. had bought a wrangler off me, traded it in after a year and bought a truck... co-signer for a young girl he barely knew who was getting in over her head on a new wrangler (not from me this time)..

... quell suprise... she stopped making payments... so he has been making them... and she took the jeep into some gnarly places and now the engine isn't running right and it has other issues... she is one of these kids that thinks, "well, it's not running, so i don't have to keep paying for it"... and she doesn't... because this other guy is picking up her slack.

so now he wants to trade it in. pile that it is. oh, and of course she rolled super negative equity from a truck into it. so they owe like 50k on a jeep that hardly runs. he is going to have to trade in his truck to help offset things (his idea, not mine).

just a :censor: show.... so people... don't cosign for people that aren't family. even then, only like, your spouse or kid...
Fack me!!!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #878 on: April 04, 2017, 11:20:13 am »
I don't know what to say. Not even sure how this problem originates.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #879 on: April 04, 2017, 11:37:29 am »
I don't know what to say. Not even sure how this problem originates.

Hot chicks, dumb guys.  ;D