Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8TSI Highline  (Read 19850 times)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8TSI Highline
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 12:56:56 pm »
Are we going to go through this pricing crap again? You DON'T have to buy top trim models, there is NO LAW saying you have to.

Trendline $14,990
Trendline+ $17,190
Comfortline $20,090
Highline $25,490

Do they use the 1.8T in the cheaper versions?

It's available in the Comfortline and Highline.
Yes, this pricing sh!t again.

Stop quoting sh!t trims as "reasonable" and "a step above".  The $20,090 comfortline you refer to has the 2.0L 115hp engine and a manual transmission.  To get the 1.8T and automatic is $23,690.  Rear-view camera is ONLY available on Highline trim, and then, not even standard.  So, yes, the Comfortline 1.8T is a step ahead for powertrain (though styling is now years behind even last gen's Corolla), and on a $4,000 premium over a Corolla, or $5,000 premium over a Civic, both of which have backup cameras, the powertrain is a very pricey proposition.  The rest of the car doesn't scream premium in any respect over the new Corolla, Mazda 3, or Forte, and I would argue is barely on par with the Impreza or Civic or Elantra.

"available" options (or base trims) when their uptake is <10% is hardly what I'd consider representative of sales and therefore cannot be considered "reasonable".

...and as for "you don't have to buy...", well, I don't have to buy a VW at all - and based on their pricing, which I find to be significantly higher than its competition, I haven't and won't buy a VW.  Nor will I recommend one to anyone.

At a $2,000 price drop (for the Jetta in particular), I would consider them again.

I feel the same way about the Focus - great car, but I can't recommend it to anyone based on its pricing (and "big discount" strategies keep people out of the showrooms in the first place).

I'm amazed they still offer the ancient 2.0 but I guess some people don't worry about it.   What I think they should do is offer the 1.8T on the trendline as a $1000 option.   With a manual transmission that would make a very good car at a great price.   

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 01:44:29 pm »
And yet both the Jetta and Focus sell in large numbers
Large, but not class-leading.  I guess "large" is relative.

With the Mazda 3, the Skyactiv engine was only available in the mid level GS which ranged from $19,695 for the base GS sedan manual all the way to $25,390 for a GS Sport (5 door) with moonroof, leather, touring package, and automatic transmission. The Skyactiv models made up about 53% of Mazda 3 sales.

My 2012 Mazda 3 GS sedan with moonroof and leather package MSRP'ed at $21,890. At the time the cheapest Jetta TDI was $23,500 I think for the Trendline+, I see it's dropped to $22,490 now. I would've had to forego a lot of features compared to the Mazda 3. They did a decent enough job with the rear torsion beam setup but the multi link rear setup was noticeably better in the 2014 I drove. Steering was German good either way.

If I were car shopping today, the $22,290 Comfortline 1.8TSI manual would be my trim of choice.

And let's call the base engine for what it is, the 2.Slow. The only thing quick about it is the fuel consumption.
That's my point - I think the Mazda3 is also overpriced, yet undercuts the VW by a big margin!  Maybe it's that the Corolla and Civic and Elantra are underpriced, but what are the top 3 sales leaders for C-segment cars in Canada?

Passenger Cars                   2014     2013     % gain/loss
1 Honda Civic                   12,407   11,287    9.9
2 Hyundai Elantra           10,373   11,337   -8.5
3 Toyota Corolla             9,162   7,881   16.3
4 Mazda3                             8,286   8,851       -6.4
5 Chevrolet Cruze             6,916   6,579    5.1
6 Volkswagen Jetta             6,179   7,024       -12.0
7 Ford Focus                     3,900   4,734       -17.6
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/honda-civic-ford-f-series-top-canadian-car-truck-sales-in-first-quarter/article18122769/

published 3 hours ago.

The Jetta had a price reduction of ~$900 this year and included more standard kit (like 4 wheel disc brakes).  Still, VW is currently selling 12% fewer for the first quarter of this year than the same period last.

I think Mazda's styling has become too polarizing or people are seeing them as too expensive. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 01:50:24 pm »
There's a stop-sale for that engine / tranny combo (oïl cooler leak), but it ran fine when we had it.
Are you referring to the old 1.8T engine? This is a new one and has nothing to do with the old one except the same displacement.

No, stop sale as in stop selling all new VWs with the new 1.8TSI when paired to the 6-speed automatic (at least in the US). The manuals aren't affected.

http://search.autonews.com/v/89976103/stop-sale-on-3-vw-models-4-9-14.htm?q=stop+sale
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 02:06:04 pm »
I'm trying to imagine how they could alter the desin if they wanted to make the car more bland and nondescript. ......

I got nuthin'. 

Park a Mazda 3 beside this bar of soap and I think it might actually disappear.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »
That's my point - I think the Mazda3 is also overpriced, yet undercuts the VW by a big margin!  Maybe it's that the Corolla and Civic and Elantra are underpriced, but what are the top 3 sales leaders for C-segment cars in Canada?

The Jetta had a price reduction of ~$900 this year and included more standard kit (like 4 wheel disc brakes).  Still, VW is currently selling 12% fewer for the first quarter of this year than the same period last.

I think Mazda's styling has become too polarizing or people are seeing them as too expensive.

Whoops, for 2014 the Skyactiv engine is available in all models from $15,995.

I still consider Jetta to be a slightly more premium vehicle compared to the others so I can justify a slight premium. Despite everyone crying that they downgraded the interior materials, it still feels like a premium interior with a spacious cabin and trunk.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 02:28:17 pm »
I'm trying to imagine how they could alter the desin if they wanted to make the car more bland and nondescript. ......

I got nuthin'. 

Park a Mazda 3 beside this bar of soap and I think it might actually disappear.

^ :rofl2:

On the other hand, the Jetta's design might age that much better without as many swoops, character lines, and other flourishes employed by the competition. I remember when the Mk V Jetta came out, people accused it of being blandly styled and derivative of the contemporary Corolla. Fast forward 9 years, the corolla looks dated and I think the Mk V holds up really well.

Personally think the new Mazda 3 is over-styled and awkwardly proporitioned. That said, and not to go too O/T, but I have to say the previous generation Mazda3 hatch still looks fantastic to my eye.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 02:38:13 pm »

I'm amazed they still offer the ancient 2.0 but I guess some people don't worry about it.   What I think they should do is offer the 1.8T on the trendline as a $1000 option.   With a manual transmission that would make a very good car at a great price.

^ This.

The fact that the 2.0L is still available is indeed crazy. It's 23 years old - and if I'm not mistaken  it's based on an even earlier design from the Mk II Jetta. Yikes.

Based on everytihing I've read, i'm probably going to be leasing a 1.8TSI 5-speed in the next 3 months - remains to be seen if it will be the new Golf or this Jetta - will depend on pricing and availability.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 03:09:38 pm »

I still consider Jetta to be a slightly more premium vehicle compared to the others so I can justify a slight premium. Despite everyone crying that they downgraded the interior materials, it still feels like a premium interior with a spacious cabin and trunk.
Yes, the GX is a far better proposition now given that it has the better powertrain, but still lacks the basics like cruise control, which is why most would opt for the GS.

I just don't see the "more premium" in the VeeDub.  It handles great, for sure!!, but the materials, attention to detail, and standard (or available) options just don't make it feel premium IMHO compared to the excellent, EXCELLENT offerings by Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, and Mazda.  Seriously - sit back to back in a 2014 Mazda3 and 2014 Jetta - even in highline/GT trims.  The Mazda will blow the Jetta away (so long as you're not considering 'volume' as a 'premium').  My friend's (now defunct) weekly-guy-she's-dating came over with a 2014 Jetta TDI Highline.  He drove us all for a late morning hangover breakfast and we all unanimously said "quiet diesel, what a sh!t interior."  Such words were spoken first by SWMBO!  That's bad when one who cares naught about cars says it - and she drives a FORESTER (i.e. $35,500 hard plastic interior).  It just feels cheap, and unless you're the one behind the helm, you'll never notice the "premium" that the car has to offer.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 03:20:46 pm »

Yes, the GX is a far better proposition now given that it has the better powertrain, but still lacks the basics like cruise control, which is why most would opt for the GS.

I just don't see the "more premium" in the VeeDub.  It handles great, for sure!!, but the materials, attention to detail, and standard (or available) options just don't make it feel premium IMHO compared to the excellent, EXCELLENT offerings by Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, and Mazda.  Seriously - sit back to back in a 2014 Mazda3 and 2014 Jetta - even in highline/GT trims.  The Mazda will blow the Jetta away (so long as you're not considering 'volume' as a 'premium').  My friend's (now defunct) weekly-guy-she's-dating came over with a 2014 Jetta TDI Highline.  He drove us all for a late morning hangover breakfast and we all unanimously said "quiet diesel, what a sh!t interior."  Such words were spoken first by SWMBO!  That's bad when one who cares naught about cars says it - and she drives a FORESTER (i.e. $35,500 hard plastic interior).  It just feels cheap, and unless you're the one behind the helm, you'll never notice the "premium" that the car has to offer.

I think the GS is very well equipped for a " base" car.  Keyless entry, push button start, steering wheel audio controls, Bluetooth etc.   

With it's far better engine you just can't justify the Jetta in the lower end price range. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 03:30:55 pm »
^^exxxactly.

...and same goes for the new Corolla and Civic.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:38 pm »

With it's far better engine you just can't justify the Jetta in the lower end price range.

I gotta agree. Justifying any price point for a given set of features is a subjective exercise, but personally I'd  forgive a lot - and even pay a small premium - for that 1.8 Tsi motor paired with a manual.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »
On the other hand, the Jetta's design might age that much better without as many swoops, character lines, and other flourishes employed by the competition. I remember when the Mk V Jetta came out, people accused it of being blandly styled and derivative of the contemporary Corolla. Fast forward 9 years, the corolla looks dated and I think the Mk V holds up really well.

Personally think the new Mazda 3 is over-styled and awkwardly proporitioned. That said, and not to go too O/T, but I have to say the previous generation Mazda3 hatch still looks fantastic to my eye.

How well a car ages is simply a subjective restatement of whether you like it or not.  If you find a car boring and uninspired now, you'll probably think the same 5 years from now.  Same if you think a car is overstyled and awkwardly proportioned now, you'll think the same later.  Nothing to do with how well it "ages" in any objective sense in either case.  IMO, natch.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 04:25:51 pm »

How well a car ages is simply a subjective restatement of whether you like it or not.  If you find a car boring and uninspired now, you'll probably think the same 5 years from now.  Same if you think a car is overstyled and awkwardly proportioned now, you'll think the same later.  Nothing to do with how well it "ages" in any objective sense in either case.  IMO, natch.

That's rather presumptuous. There are plenty of cars which, upon first glance, didn't look right to me  but then I grew to like them over time.

I was one of those people who thought the Mk 5 Jetta looked dull and drab when it first came out, and now I think it looks... 'timeless' is perhaps too generous, but I think it looks quite good now.

Other examples that grew on me over time: E60 5 series. 1st gen Z4. Nissan Cube. Ferrari 612.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:28:30 pm by lebowski »

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 08:46:38 pm »
...  The rest of the car doesn't scream premium in any respect over the new Corolla, Mazda 3, or Forte, and I would argue is barely on par with the Impreza or Civic or Elantra.

Jetta is bigger than most of them. Barely on par with Civic? Hahaha. You made my day!!!!
Bombastic

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:00 pm »
...  The rest of the car doesn't scream premium in any respect over the new Corolla, Mazda 3, or Forte, and I would argue is barely on par with the Impreza or Civic or Elantra.

Jetta is bigger than most of them. Barely on par with Civic? Hahaha. You made my day!!!!

Bigger does not equal better.  Especially when you don't get much more in the way useful space. 

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 10:28:20 pm »
After reading the comments it sounds like everyone is getting frustrated waiting for the new Golf...lol

I do like that VW has made the Jetta affordable for a first time buyer or parent buying for son/daughter.  A diesel for the commuter's, new 1.8T sounds like a winner and a sporty GLI.

As for prices/looks....well that's up to what ever tickles your fancy but thankfully we have choices.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:41 am »

Bigger does not equal better.  Especially when you don't get much more in the way useful space.
I do agree that bigger does not equal better. However you might expect that a bigger car of the same class will cost more. That does not negate the fact that Jetta is a better car than Civic in many ways.  :P

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 09:48:15 am »

^ This.

The fact that the 2.0L is still available is indeed crazy. It's 23 years old - and if I'm not mistaken  it's based on an even earlier design from the Mk II Jetta. Yikes.

Based on everytihing I've read, i'm probably going to be leasing a 1.8TSI 5-speed in the next 3 months - remains to be seen if it will be the new Golf or this Jetta - will depend on pricing and availability.

Take a look at the 2015 Jetta.  Slight exterior changes and bigger interior changes. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 11:02:53 am »
Take a look at the 2015 Jetta.  Slight exterior changes and bigger interior changes.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-volkswagen-jetta-photos-and-info-news
VW’s also promising an interior upgrade. Fancier Jettas get ambient lighting and chrome-ringed gauges and HVAC bezels, while the console receives piano-black accents. New seat fabrics will also be available.
I don't see any mention of the materials used for the doors/pillars being made of any less lego-spec plastic.  It actually sounds like this "interior upgrade" will do nothing to change my view of the Jetta.  That's what makes it feel cheap sh!t to me.  Like I said - from the captain's chairs, the Jetta seems just fine...until you sit in the back.  And yes, it's bigger than most, and the rear seat room is appreciated as a rear passenger - but this begs the question as to why you wouldn't pop into the new Accord at that price point, which would depreciate FAR slower and give you even more room with only a slight bump in exterior footprint.

Don't get me wrong - I prefer compacts to mid-size (or whatever the f!cking classifications are these days) - but once you start arguing that the Jetta's size makes it more 'premium', then it has to be compared to something larger as well.

Also remember that I really like the idea of a VW and have been a serious shopper in their dealerships on more than one occasion.  I would really like a Jetta in my driveway, especially with that beautiful diesel and DSG - but the price, interior materials, and questionable reliability have thus far swayed my opinion away from that dotted line.  I want GM/Chrysler to fail, not VW - my criticism is purely intended to be constructive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7200
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8TSI Highline
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 11:09:15 am »
Base price: $26,890
:hurl:

In a compact, that's about $2,000 too brutal, even without the $1,500 package.  When the near-base Corollas and Civics include a backup camera, how can they still justify requiring these 'top of the line' packages to get one?  It'll soon change for the upcoming 2018 mandate.

I just have an issue with the exterior blandness and the interior hard plasticness.  I don't deny that its competitors tend to also be hard plastics all over inside, but the Jetta's just feels cheaper and harder than all others, in my experience.

If they could use nicer interior materials, especially for the rear area side walls, I'd 'maybe' consider it a decent value at $26k given its size, powertrain, and handling abilities.

...and then there's the question of reliability.

The Jetta has always been a half-step (or even a full step) above other compacts like the Civic and Corolla. To expect it not to be more expensive doesn't make sense, especially when it offers a more powerful engine than the competition.

The Jetta's interior has also improved since this model debuted. The '14 is quite nice IMO.

Depends what you mean as a step above. It was far less reliable that either the Civic or Corolla. And for the price they were asking and the class it played in this was inexcusable.

Offering more for the price includes reliability IMO. Especially when it's expected in this class.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...