Author Topic: savage geese. modern cars.  (Read 376 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
savage geese. modern cars.
« on: April 05, 2024, 12:32:56 pm »
This has aged well and has even accelerated.

My plan vehicle wise going forward is likely to lease the wife something and I'll drive interesting old things that I can fix with a wrench and a trip to the yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FDu8KvXOg

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: savage geese. modern cars.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 10:18:37 am »
That's pretty much how I feel as well.  I don't want all those things that can and will break on a vehicle.
 I don't have anything with a touchscreen and I don't want it.

We could have slightly lower tech and a lot more reliable and cheap to run vehicles.   I don't care if I save $1k on fuel if I have to shell out $5k in repairs for the tech.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 10:31:00 am »
That's pretty much how I feel as well.  I don't want all those things that can and will break on a vehicle.
 I don't have anything with a touchscreen and I don't want it.

We could have slightly lower tech and a lot more reliable and cheap to run vehicles.   I don't care if I save $1k on fuel if I have to shell out $5k in repairs for the tech.

I wonder if that is driving prices up on nice analog old rides?  I really like that 2000-2010 period before the screens arrived en masse. 2010-2020 still has some good stuff too before the juiced blender motors and tv screens arrived in force.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 10:49:54 am »
For me it’s not the screens, it’s the  complexity of the drivetrains to eke out every bit of efficiency. Watched a video from Car Care Nut on the new Tundra engine the other day and the complication scares me, and that’s just one example.

I guess electrification is supposed to simplify everything. :P
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 03:12:02 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 11:17:13 am »
For me it’s not the screens, it’s the  of the drivetrains to eke out every bit of efficiency. Watched a video from Car Care Nut on the new Tundra engine the other day and the complication scares me, and that’s just one example.

I guess electrification is supposed to simplify everything. :P

Yeah you are right. The drive for fuel economy made designers make some poor choices. Giving up simplicity and reliability for marginally better numbers.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 12:00:35 pm »

This just popped up on my Youtube feed, seems appropriate for the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BFWJ2JQayg&ab_channel=CarWizard
Second in a new series that explains what specific repairs are, why they cost what they do and what it takes to make the repair. This second episode in this series the CAR WIZARD 🧙‍♂️ focuses HVAC Actuators. Where they are located and why they can cost $2K to replace.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 12:40:47 pm »
My Highlander is heated seats and a heated steering wheel away from being perfect.

I was able to add a Bluetooth connection so music isn't an issue

I don't miss the screens and like that I can operate everything with gloves on.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 01:29:23 pm »
Older vehicles are pretty easy to upgrade with useful tech like back up cameras, carplay, and heated seats

But you're still stuck with older safety construction and some of the more useful tech like blind spot monitoring, radar cruise, auto braking, etc

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 01:53:04 pm »
Both of my Fords had noisy or faulty blend door actuators. Toyota, Honda, and even Mazda who had the propensity to source Ford parts seem to source better HVAC parts so I never had an issue with climate control systems for all three, other than a failed AC compressor in the Sequoia.

I hope Toyota found better power sliding door systems though. Almost every 2nd gen I’ve seen have had failed power sliding doors.