Author Topic: Price of Oil  (Read 42751 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Price of Oil
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 05:09:20 pm »
You boys are smart. I have been saying for years that a natural hedge on gasoline prices is to own a nice portfolio of energy producers. It is the only way I can afford to feed the Land Rover ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 08:37:19 pm »
So.....$0.85 CDN and $85 Oil by year end?  :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 09:02:32 pm »
Front end had a really big run today after about 11am. Coupled with CAD taking it on the chin and I gassed up tonight :P
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2014, 09:10:06 pm »
85 cent dollar quite doable.  Price of oil who friggin knows.  This is the seasonal low.

Northernridge

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2014, 09:17:18 pm »
Well, when the Loonie was worth $1.07USD a few years ago I bought a bunch of 'em. If we get to .85 I think maybe I'll buy back the CDN $$.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:28 pm »
Price of oil will get pushed down to try and "starve" Putin out of the Ukraine.

Remember how cheap oil dropped down so quickly when he invaded Georgia?  They'll try and do the same here since Russia's economy is VERY dependent on high oil/gas prices.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:25:39 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Northernridge

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2014, 09:22:35 pm »
Come to think of it should oil reach $85, all kinds of buying opportunities would appear.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:58 pm »

Remember how cheap oil dropped down so quickly when he invaded Georgia?  They'll try and do the same here.

Yeah not likely to work IMO.

SPR release is more likely to keep the American public happy enough to let them retaliate somehow than to actually starve Putin out. Brent crude matters more for that, and secondly, oil "speculators" :) will just push up longer dated prices, which is the economically logical reaction for the market.

I guess the US could ask their buddies in Saudi to crank up production to compensate. But somehow I doubt much will come of this.

I admit I haven't followed the Ukraine thing much but...and humor me here, isn't it the case that the majority of Crimean residents WANT to join Russia? If a referendum were held would it be honoured? Uncomfortable situation for several countries, really, to recognize separatist movements of any sort (Spain, UK, China...even Canada!). However for the US specifically I very much doubt there would be much backlash if the situation were reversed (ie: pro Ukraine part of Russia wants to join Ukraine).

So, really, just ideological politicking or more Great Game or is the issue very very specifically with the fact that Putin may have interfered with what is essentially another country's civil war (which, coming from the US, would be quite a pot-and-kettle).

Dexer! Down boy! :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2014, 09:49:00 pm »

It worked last time.  Go look at the chronology of Putin's invasion vs. crude prices.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2014, 10:15:39 pm »
This has something to do with Georgia I assume. Link me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2014, 10:38:58 pm »
This has something to do with Georgia I assume. Link me.

Yea, sorry.  Georgia.  Link you to what?  Compare the timeline of when Georgia invaded to when they finally GTFO.  Oil prices dropped like a rock.

When they first invaded, the price was ~$115.  Sanctions and political posturing followed.  When they GTFO oil had dropped to ~$77.  In about 1 month.  Russia does about 10 million barrels (IIRC) a day.  That's a heft chunk.  Not ALL of this oil price dropping was due solely to politics....but politics played a large role in it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:45:10 pm by rrocket »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2014, 11:10:10 pm »
Dude. August 2008. You might recall that the financial world was literally on fire.

Entirely possible under the circumstances that financial matters prompted a quicker end to hostilities (officially the war lasted 5 days, which obviously isn't very long) but

1. it surely was not just the price of oil that was falling
2. there is very, very slim chance that the same level of financial disruption would happen this time around
3. there is 0% chance that the US would be willing to precipitate a massive global financial meltdown over Crimea (I also very much doubt that the more technocratic parts of US officialdom, ie: the Federal Reserve, would ever allow such a thing)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2014, 11:46:45 pm »
Dude. August 2008. You might recall that the financial world was literally on fire.

Entirely possible under the circumstances that financial matters prompted a quicker end to hostilities (officially the war lasted 5 days, which obviously isn't very long) but

1. it surely was not just the price of oil that was falling
2. there is very, very slim chance that the same level of financial disruption would happen this time around
3. there is 0% chance that the US would be willing to precipitate a massive global financial meltdown over Crimea (I also very much doubt that the more technocratic parts of US officialdom, ie: the Federal Reserve, would ever allow such a thing)

Using their political influence to lower the cost of oil again would not on its own precipitate a global financial meltdown.   ::) And you know that.  A downturn of only $10 per barrel costs Russia ~$100 million.  Per day.  And that's particularly painful to Russia, as oil/gas accounts for nearly 60% of total exports.

And while the "war" lasted 5 days, Russia occupied and blockaded Georgia for about month.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:48:19 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2014, 11:53:42 pm »

Remember how cheap oil dropped down so quickly when he invaded Georgia?  They'll try and do the same here.

SPR release is more likely to keep the American public happy enough to let them retaliate somehow than to actually starve Putin out. Brent crude matters more for that, and secondly, oil "speculators" :) will just push up longer dated prices, which is the economically logical reaction for the market.

I guess the US could ask their buddies in Saudi to crank up production to compensate. But somehow I doubt much will come of this.

I admit I haven't followed the Ukraine thing much but...and humor me here, isn't it the case that the majority of Crimean residents WANT to join Russia? If a referendum were held would it be honoured? Uncomfortable situation for several countries, really, to recognize separatist movements of any sort (Spain, UK, China...even Canada!). However for the US specifically I very much doubt there would be much backlash if the situation were reversed (ie: pro Ukraine part of Russia wants to join Ukraine).

So, really, just ideological politicking or more Great Game or is the issue very very specifically with the fact that Putin may have interfered with what is essentially another country's civil war (which, coming from the US, would be quite a pot-and-kettle).

Dexer! Down boy! :)

Here is one point of view, not often voiced by western media:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/03/nato-peace-threat-ukraine-military-conflict
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2014, 12:03:29 am »
Dan The Russian Sympathizer.  ;D

Change your screen name to "Russian Dan"   ;)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:07:11 am by rrocket »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2014, 12:09:54 am »

I suspect you're joking, but in any case the article is more critical of the US / Nato than it is pro Russia tbh. And you have been quite critical of US foreign policy many a time IIRC.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2014, 12:22:38 am »

I suspect you're joking, but in any case the article is more critical of the US / Nato than it is pro Russia tbh. And you have been quite critical of US foreign policy many a time IIRC.

While you were away, Dan was defending the Russian invasion/incursion (and support of the thugs) who shot down the commercial airline in the Ukraine.  You need to go read that thread in it's entirety to see why I'd refer to him as "Russian Dan".  We still love Dan despite this though.   ;D

And yes..I am often critical of US foreign policy.  Especially when they invade sovereign countries.  Much like Russia is trying to do/doing in the Ukraine.

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,87075.0.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:31:37 am by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2014, 01:19:19 am »
Stephen Harper pledges Canada’s ‘unblinking’ support for Ukraine

With bozo statements like that, oil will never drop.

Canada has no business in this civil war.   This is just useless EGO babble from the WORST PM this country has ever had.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2014, 01:24:30 pm »
I'm surprised nobody wants to talk about how increasing American oil production will push the commodity price low enough to make higher-cost Canadian production unprofitable in the long term.  :)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2014, 01:47:28 pm »
I'm surprised nobody wants to talk about how increasing American oil production will push the commodity price low enough to make higher-cost Canadian production unprofitable in the long term.  :)

US oil consumption is 18mmbpd and their production is ~11mmbpd. Their consumption has stabilized and their production is increasing at least for the short term.

The big question is what happens in China. If their economy can keep rolling, their increasing consumption can easily sop up any increase in US supply.

I'm stealing that image BTW.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken