Author Topic: Damaged alloy wheel  (Read 3608 times)

Offline natapol

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mazda 3
Damaged alloy wheel
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:28:36 pm »
Hi guys,
Sorry if this is not the right section for this kind of question. On my way to seasonal changeover, due to snow and certainly my carelessness :-[, my Mazda 3 skid when I made a turn and hit a curb. It's quite loud and front right alloy wheel was damaged (as in pics). I eventually postponed my changeover plan because I'm worried that it will cause further mechanical problem or safety issue. Can you suggest if I can keep using it and has seasonal changeover, or should I just buy a new wheel. Appreciate your answers. Thank you.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Damaged alloy wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:00:41 pm »
I'd get a new wheel.  That sharp edge is going to cut into the tire.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:56:31 am »
New wheel.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:42:03 am »
If in Toronto go here:

http://www.unionrim.com/

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 08:08:23 am »
Since you were driving on snow I presume you're east of Ontario.

Definitely a new wheel.  Look on Kijiji, often you can find a matching wheel at a good price.

It might also be worth paying to have someone inspect the front suspension.  It must have been a heck of an impact to crack the wheel like that.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:10:17 am »
Might get lucky at a scrap yard?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:39 am »
You can't repair that kind of damage, unfortunately.

Kijiji is a decent idea, but you'll likely end up buying 4 rims since folks don't like to sell anything less than sets.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 10:20:49 am »
Thats right dickered my friend, new wheel time.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline natapol

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 11:04:27 am »
Thank you everyone for your answers. I'm in Edmonton, AB. Lesson learned.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 11:05:08 am »
Thank you everyone for your answers. I'm in Edmonton, AB. Lesson learned.

Welcome fellow Albertan!!

Offline natapol

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 06:11:36 pm »
Update: Nevermind. Figured it out. Go with X99154N.

I went to Canadian Tire and the wheels they have has different offset size (40mm) from what I got from dealer (50mm). Anyone used to order steel wheels for 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GS from Costco? I'm checking their fitment guide and am confused whether it should be hubcentric or universal ??? Please shed me some light.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:40:26 pm by natapol »

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 05:55:30 pm »

I went to Canadian Tire and the wheels they have has different offset size (40mm) from what I got from dealer (50mm). Anyone used to order steel wheels for 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GS from Costco? I'm checking their fitment guide and am confused whether it should be hubcentric or universal ??? Please shed me some light.
Hub centric means that the wheel centre hole is sized to excactly match the hub that the wheel is mounted to. You definitely want hub centric!  Non hub centric wheels rely on the lug nuts (or bolts) to centre the wheel properly and this is never as good.  Even a non discerning driver will notice a vibration with this set up as the wheels will have an ever so slight hop.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 06:04:37 pm »

Hub centric means that the wheel centre hole is sized to excactly match the hub that the wheel is mounted to. You definitely want hub centric!  Non hub centric wheels rely on the lug nuts (or bolts) to centre the wheel properly and this is never as good.  Even a non discerning driver will notice a vibration with this set up as the wheels will have an ever so slight hop.
Or you can get hub centric rings...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 06:06:36 pm »

Or you can get hub centric rings...
Ok.  I change my reply to “Make sure whatever you do ends up hub-centric”. lOl

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 08:09:31 pm »

Exactly match? The OE wheels on my vehicles are presumably hubcentric, yet there’s a tiny bit of play between the hub and the wheel. Not a lot, but enough that I can wiggle them up and down and side to side a noticeable amount. Maybe it’s only a fraction of a millimeter, but the point is that it’s not zero, so the wheel does in fact get centered around the lugs when you torque it down. That’s why the wheel has conical seats and the lugnuts are conical also.

I’ve had lugcentric wheels and they were totally fine: you just need to take extra care to make sure the lugnuts are seated properly. But I agree that hubcentric is way more convenient - for sure I’d spent the extra few bucks for that. 

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 08:52:35 pm »

Exactly match? The OE wheels on my vehicles are presumably hubcentric, yet there’s a tiny bit of play between the hub and the wheel. Not a lot, but enough that I can wiggle them up and down and side to side a noticeable amount. Maybe it’s only a fraction of a millimeter, but the point is that it’s not zero, so the wheel does in fact get centered around the lugs when you torque it down. That’s why the wheel has conical seats and the lugnuts are conical also.

I’ve had lugcentric wheels and they were totally fine: you just need to take extra care to make sure the lugnuts are seated properly. But I agree that hubcentric is way more convenient - for sure I’d spent the extra few bucks for that.
I’ve had terrible luck with lug-centric wheels. YMMV