Author Topic: Comparison Test: Compact Luxury Crossover SUVs  (Read 23001 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Comparison Test: Compact Luxury Crossover SUVs
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »
The GLK will certainly be interesting once they start offering the 2.1L turbo diesel here.  190ish HP and 310 lb-ft of torque...

They are available for ordering now.  Also it's 369 ft-lbs  :o

Wowsers!  It wasn't that long ago when the 3.0 was making that kind of torque.  How much HP?

190 hp.

$43.5K starting price.. not too bad!
delicious...the interesting thing to note is the diesel is $1000 LESS than the gas engine...so let me get this straight...better fuel economy...battleship loads of torque...$1000 less than the 3.5L gas engine???...i'll take mine in white please.

i just built one on the MB website...the only package i would add is the Convenience Package for $1700 for a total of $45,200...maybe the extra $1k for the HK sound system, not sure what the factory one sounds like...either way, that's my choice right there.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:11:01 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:46 pm »
Mercedes has been very focused on pricing lately.  The have really reduced the premium for AWD and diesels.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 05:40:05 am »
I don't really find any of these vehicles appealing, even though I'm probably exactly the manufacturers' target audience (i.e. an insufferable yuppie). I've driven the X3, GLK (previous generation) and Q5, and a G37x, which is basically the sedan to the EX's wagon.

I hope they've fixed the ride quality of the GLK. The first generation was abysmal, at least with the 20-inch wheels. I really don't understand the love for the EX's interior. The last G37 I drove felt truly ancient with its Atari-style graphics. The electric steering on the X3 makes it feel not at all like a real BMW, and I agree that the interior is poor. However, it is VERY sensitive to colour and option choices. An X3 with the oyster / black interior (off-white leather with black carpeting) and in a dark metallic feels much more upscale than anything with the leatherette interior. The Q5, though, commits the greatest sin in that it is incredibly boring to drive and to look at, yet doesn't seem to offer great packaging to make up for these failings. It seems huge on the outside and small on the inside and generally doesn't feel remotely special. At least the A4 allroad has a bit of visual flair.

Anyway, since BMW are officially bringing the F31 3 series to Canada with the 2.0 diesel and xdrive, all of the above is moot...

Northernridge

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 10:17:51 am »
I don't really find any of these vehicles appealing, even though I'm probably exactly the manufacturers' target audience (i.e. an insufferable yuppie). I've driven the X3, GLK (previous generation) and Q5, and a G37x, which is basically the sedan to the EX's wagon.

I hope they've fixed the ride quality of the GLK. The first generation was abysmal, at least with the 20-inch wheels. I really don't understand the love for the EX's interior. The last G37 I drove felt truly ancient with its Atari-style graphics. The electric steering on the X3 makes it feel not at all like a real BMW, and I agree that the interior is poor. However, it is VERY sensitive to colour and option choices. An X3 with the oyster / black interior (off-white leather with black carpeting) and in a dark metallic feels much more upscale than anything with the leatherette interior. The Q5, though, commits the greatest sin in that it is incredibly boring to drive and to look at, yet doesn't seem to offer great packaging to make up for these failings. It seems huge on the outside and small on the inside and generally doesn't feel remotely special. At least the A4 allroad has a bit of visual flair.

Anyway, since BMW are officially bringing the F31 3 series to Canada with the 2.0 diesel and xdrive, all of the above is moot...

I doubt that you are. FGC manufactures think about psychographics as well as demographics. It will be rare that a true target customer hates all product alternatives available in a segment.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 07:16:42 pm »
The diesel GLK really is a sweet package. We drove it in the Swiss Alps last year, with an off-road package that Canada, unfortunately, doesn't get.  While official fuel ratings are 6.1L/100 km, we averaged 7.1. Though it may be short on horsepower (190), you'll never notice thanks to abundant torque (369). It should arrive here by November.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 07:43:27 pm »
The diesel GLK really is a sweet package. We drove it in the Swiss Alps last year, with an off-road package that Canada, unfortunately, doesn't get.  While official fuel ratings are 6.1L/100 km, we averaged 7.1. Though it may be short on horsepower (190), you'll never notice thanks to abundant torque (369). It should arrive here by November.

A female auto journalist?? YES........  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Northernridge

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:56 pm »

Are you a drawer? If so come on let's see.

Please.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 08:02:30 pm »
I drew the Saleen in my profile, it's a fairly old illustration.

I've been around for a while guys, used to contribute in the Canadian Driver days, back from 2005 on.
Really happy to be back  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:06 pm »
I drew the Saleen in my profile, it's a fairly old illustration.

I've been around for a while guys, used to contribute in the Canadian Driver days, back from 2005 on.
Really happy to be back  ;D

Well that's fantastic.  :thumbup:  Power to the fine arts grads!

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 08:15:44 pm »
Thanks - are you a fellow scribbler too?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 09:11:19 pm »

A female auto journalist?? YES........  :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's my 'mom'

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:04 pm »
And that's my brat!   ::)

Northernridge

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 12:07:30 am »
Thanks - are you a fellow scribbler too?

Sure am...although these days I spend most of my time herding other scribblers...and writers.

Offline newcomer21

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Civic, 2006 BMW 330i, Kawasakik KLR 650, 2014 Acura RDX
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 07:00:22 pm »
The RDX suffers from the Acura "shield" but otherwise is a sweet and typical Honda product. The V6 is smooth and snappy. The cylinder de-activation is imperceptible. The fuel efficiency is impressive. The ride is comfortable for a long cruise and the seats (the most heavily used item on any vehicle) are superb. This cannot be said of all Honda products!

This review doesn't use quantitative data to bolster the opinions expressed. The comments are almost entirely based on such things as steering feel, handling feel etc. If there is quantitative data to support these views, then the review is stronger and more valid. Notably, the RDX is 400 - 600 lbs lighter than the Audi Q5 and the BMW and the Merc. Mass doesn't go around corners as quickly as it may seem to. Again, quantitative data would help to confirm such things as lane change speeds, 1/4 mile acceleration etc.

Yes, I drive the RDX after testing the others and I like the value, efficiency, and the comfort of the redesigned RDX.  It is fun and snappy to drive on the highway and accelerates almost as well as my BMW 330i. And when this is not needed. It is a rather serene ride. Get out the stop watch and do some real testing and report back with some data that supports your subjective opinions please. ;)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2014, 07:05:03 pm »
No Lexus?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 07:47:43 pm »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:39 pm »
The RDX suffers from the Acura "shield" but otherwise...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »
I tired to make my question sound legit...but you turned it into a shamockery... :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2014, 07:55:55 pm »
I tired to make my question sound legit...but you turned it into a shamockery... :rofl2:

You're welcome.