Author Topic: Important link for Firm and Searhardburger  (Read 15201 times)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Important link for Firm and Searhardburger
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 04:26:48 pm »
See, there's all this talk about minivans being 'uncool' and 'soul destroying'.  And then you're talking about something like a Durango being 'cool'.  Really?  A Durango is yet another people hauler, yet has compromises.  Okay, so you can get it in all black, and with a V8.  Okay.  Still doesn't mean it's not a mommy-mobile. 

The same thing goes for a large body-on-frame GM SUV.  Unless you are regularly transporting 8 people AND towing a 6000lb trailer, driving a huge, gas-sucking, body-on-frame 3-row SUV is nothing but excess.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but it definitely isn't 'cool'.  And no, an Escalade with its gobs of chrome and pretentiousness is the last thing from 'cool' in my mind.

You know what I think is cool?  Having a vehicle that allows you to live life.  To do the activities that you and your kids want to do.  If you have 2 kids and can accomplish that in a sedan, then that's great.  If you have 4-5 kids and tow a boat, then yeah, a big SUV is the ticket.  Need a JEEP or a PowerWagon to get you and 4 buddies down a crazy fire-road to your favorite hunting spot?  That's cool.  You're a guy without children and want a Camaro 1LE to take to the track on weekends?  Or even a dude with kids and weekend Camaro.  Awesome.  That's cool!

But attributing the term 'cool' and 'uncool' to something as material as a transportation device...that doesn't make any sense.  I think the only vehicle that should have 'cool' attached to it is a hobby vehicle.  Firm, your Camaro's and Firebird are 'cool', because they ARE the activity.  Same goes for anybody with an S2000 or a Miata.  Those are vehicles for which their intended purpose is fun.  An all-black V8 Durango?  Nah, that's just a minivan for men with small-penis syndrome.

Or people that simply don't like vans. I've never understood why people think it has something to do with penis size. My penis is a great size and I don't want a van. There's nothing wrong with a van but I'd prefer an SUV. Just like how red is nice but I prefer blue.

I have nothing wrong with those that choose vans, though. Totally understand it. Many of my friends have made the plunge. My answer is similar to Firm's.

My point is, a 3-row kid hauler like a Durango isn't necessarily any cooler than a minivan (swagger-wagon).  If you choose a Durango over a minivan because of 'cool factor', or 'you wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan', then your ego is clearly dictating your vehicle purchasing decisions, and you're falling right into the marketing that the manufacturers are using to move these CUV's.  Lock, Stock, barrel.

And how can you 'not like' minivans, but then like most SUV's?  A CUV will drive almost identically to a minivan.  I.E. like crap, especially if you're used to something like a 1LE or a Miata, or a 3-series.  When you're shopping in the 3-row segment, you're beyond driving dynamics, and well into the comfort realm.

Oh, I'm sorry, your Unibody Nissan Pathfinder has 'AWD' and 2 extra inches of ground clearance than a Toyota Sienna.  I guess that makes it a big, bad, bushwacking machine.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:31:06 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 04:29:53 pm »
It's funny because a lot of 3 row CUVs look like minivans. They're just not called minivans.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:51 pm »
It's funny because a lot of 3 row CUVs look like minivans. They're just not called minivans.

That's my point.  A Durango or a Pathfinder or a Pilot...those are just minivans with more ground clearance, AWD, and swinging rear doors. 

A 4-runner?  That's a little different.  They ARE a lot more capable, although it could be argued that 90% of the purchasers of 4-Runners use them exactly like they would use a minivan.  I.e. they don't tow anything, and they never take it off-road.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 04:33:21 pm »
See, there's all this talk about minivans being 'uncool' and 'soul destroying'.  And then you're talking about something like a Durango being 'cool'.  Really?  A Durango is yet another people hauler, yet has compromises.  Okay, so you can get it in all black, and with a V8.  Okay.  Still doesn't mean it's not a mommy-mobile. 

The same thing goes for a large body-on-frame GM SUV.  Unless you are regularly transporting 8 people AND towing a 6000lb trailer, driving a huge, gas-sucking, body-on-frame 3-row SUV is nothing but excess.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but it definitely isn't 'cool'.  And no, an Escalade with its gobs of chrome and pretentiousness is the last thing from 'cool' in my mind.

You know what I think is cool?  Having a vehicle that allows you to live life.  To do the activities that you and your kids want to do.  If you have 2 kids and can accomplish that in a sedan, then that's great.  If you have 4-5 kids and tow a boat, then yeah, a big SUV is the ticket.  Need a JEEP or a PowerWagon to get you and 4 buddies down a crazy fire-road to your favorite hunting spot?  That's cool.  You're a guy without children and want a Camaro 1LE to take to the track on weekends?  Or even a dude with kids and weekend Camaro.  Awesome.  That's cool!

But attributing the term 'cool' and 'uncool' to something as material as a transportation device...that doesn't make any sense.  I think the only vehicle that should have 'cool' attached to it is a hobby vehicle.  Firm, your Camaro's and Firebird are 'cool', because they ARE the activity.  Same goes for anybody with an S2000 or a Miata.  Those are vehicles for which their intended purpose is fun.  An all-black V8 Durango?  Nah, that's just a minivan for men with small-penis syndrome.

Or people that simply don't like vans. I've never understood why people think it has something to do with penis size. My penis is a great size and I don't want a van. There's nothing wrong with a van but I'd prefer an SUV. Just like how red is nice but I prefer blue.

I have nothing wrong with those that choose vans, though. Totally understand it. Many of my friends have made the plunge. My answer is similar to Firm's.

My point is, a 3-row kid hauler like a Durango isn't necessarily any cooler than a minivan (swagger-wagon).  If you choose a Durango over a minivan because of 'cool factor', or 'you wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan', then your ego is clearly dictating your vehicle purchasing decisions.

And how can you 'not like' minivans, but then like most SUV's?  A CUV will drive almost identically to a minivan.  I.E. like crap, especially if you're used to something like a 1LE or a Miata, or a 3-series.  When you're shopping in the 3-row segment, you're beyond driving dynamics, and well into the comfort realm.

Sorry, but a V8 hemi is facking awesome when you hammer on it. No V6 minivan will ever give you that satisfaction plus I really hate the looks of minivans, period, you will never convince me that they are the only solution to having to haul some people around. As for the penis thing, wouldn't that be more of a italian supercar driven 10 under the limit by a middle aged guy thing??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 04:34:05 pm »
Yep, there's definitely an element of "I like it, so I am going to drive it instead of _____" for me. If everyone made automotive decisions based strictly on ''what fits my needs best and in the most efficient/economical manner" the automotive world would be an extremely boring place.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 04:34:39 pm »

My point is, a 3-row kid hauler like a Durango isn't necessarily any cooler than a minivan (swagger-wagon).  If you choose a Durango over a minivan because of 'cool factor', or 'you wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan', then your ego is clearly dictating your vehicle purchasing decisions.

Sorry, but a V8 hemi is facking awesome when you hammer on it. No V6 minivan will ever give you that satisfaction plus I really hate the looks of minivans, period, you will never convince me that they are the only solution to having to haul some people around. As for the penis thing, wouldn't that be more of a italian supercar driven 10 under the limit by a middle aged guy thing??

And yet most of the Durangos that are sold have the exact same engine that I have in my van....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 04:36:55 pm »
Thats fine, the Durango at least has the option for a proper engine.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 04:45:55 pm »

Because it fits neatly into snug compartments?

This got out of hand.
Or is still in his hand  :run:

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 04:49:19 pm »

My point is, a 3-row kid hauler like a Durango isn't necessarily any cooler than a minivan (swagger-wagon).  If you choose a Durango over a minivan because of 'cool factor', or 'you wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan', then your ego is clearly dictating your vehicle purchasing decisions, and you're falling right into the marketing that the manufacturers are using to move these CUV's.  Lock, Stock, barrel.

Oh, I'm sorry, your Unibody Nissan Pathfinder has 'AWD' and 2 extra inches of ground clearance than a Toyota Sienna.  I guess that makes it a big, bad, bushwacking machine.

But you're pretending as if people aren't vain. Unless you walk around in stretch sweat pants covered in sauce and/or draped in velour on a daily basis you clearly make purchasing decisions (in all aspects of life) based on matters of style, vanity, etc.

I'm not saying Ego or Vanity doesn't have a place in a car buying decision.  But having it as the primary decision making tool for choosing one type of vehicle over another can't be the greatest idea.  I suppose if you're wealthy, then vanity can be your primary purchasing factor.  That's why Range Rovers exist. 

Look.  I'm not saying I'm never going to buy a CUV.  But one thing, and one thing only will dictate my purchase of them.  Towing ability.  There may come a time when I need more than 3600lbs, but less than 6000lbs of towing capacity.  That is the one instance where a 3-row CUV can be superior to a minivan. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:51:32 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 05:00:57 pm »
This was all mostly in response to

DON'T DO IT!!! You can do much better than that!!!!

In other words, Fobroader started it.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 05:02:50 pm »

Yeah, I think it was the insinuation that vans are 'uncool', when in reality, the alternative (Pathfinders, Pilots, etc.) are equally uncool.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 05:17:31 pm »
I have had 3 minivans , they great  to have , also had a Ford LTD wagon , that was longer than any of the minivans   ;D

I've certainly noticed some cars longer than my minivan.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 05:22:49 pm »

Yeah, I think it was the insinuation that vans are 'uncool', when in reality, the alternative (Pathfinders, Pilots, etc.) are equally uncool.

Listen, anything outside of a Yenko Nova, Chevelle 454SS, Dino Ferrari or a Porsche 959 is "uncool"....but, I will take the looks of a Durango, Tahoe, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, Lexus LX/GX, 4Runner over any minivan. If I had to haul a bunch of people and stuff, I think one of those 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter things or an AWD Chevy full size van would be my weapon of choice.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-401
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 05:25:14 pm »
It's a very safe bet that there will always be a full-sized, full frame GM 3-row SUV in our driveway.

1) How many more kids you gonna pop out?

2) How many more times will I have to drive you to Keswick to pick up another purchase in a Micra with no air-con in 40 degree heat?

:-*
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 05:27:13 pm »
It's a very safe bet that there will always be a full-sized, full frame GM 3-row SUV in our driveway.

2) How many more times will I have to drive you to Keswick to pick up another purchase in a Micra with no air-con in 40 degree heat?

I don't think he will be pop out any kids  ;D

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2018, 05:37:34 pm »

I don't think he will be pop out any kids  ;D

Yeah, more like he pops the kid in.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2018, 06:43:37 pm »
I'm not sure I'd find many people that would think my Highlander is any "cooler" than a van.  The one major advantage the Highlander has over the AWD Sienna is the ability of it to drive over windrows.  This is something I do a lot.  We either have to drive over them to access a parking area, or we get "plowed in" while the car is parked for a few days.

Yes, it's possible to shovel, but honestly, after spending hours skiing back to the car, I really don't feel like spending another hour or more shoveling.  Same for getting going on our trip.  It's so much nicer to just drive over the windrow.

In the summer, the Highlander is also way better on those BC "roads" that access trailheads in the Purcells and similar areas.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 08:15:20 pm »
40000 MILES.  Oldest trick in the book.  Still low though.

Under list ,it says 41,980 km , probably  a US truck

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »
40000 MILES.  Oldest trick in the book.  Still low though.

Under list ,it says 41,980 km , probably  a US truck

Look at the odomoter...41,980 Mi.