Author Topic: Are Bilsteins Worth it?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Re: Are Bilsteins Worth it?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2024, 11:04:00 am »
You got a shop that will take your parts and install them?  For the extra couple hundred bucks I'd likely just buy through them to avoid future hassle.  They'll probably hit you harder with labour for bringing own parts anyway.   ;D

Lucky me they don't care - their labour rate is what it is.  Also where I'd take them they don't sell parts either...so not like I'd be competing against their own parts dept.

I just watched the videos...yeah...no feckin' way in hell would I even try to tackle the front shocks.  I don't even know if the one's off Bilstein are correct - don't recall seeing that spring "shelf" on the Bilsteins.  Rear?  Meh...maybe...but even then, 11 yr old bolts?  Let someone else with good tools do it.  Front.  Not even worth entertaining the idea.  But, might as well do the brakes then since it's all gotta come apart for that, too.  Save some labour pains with 1 stone and two birds as they say.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 11:37:32 am »
You got a shop that will take your parts and install them?  For the extra couple hundred bucks I'd likely just buy through them to avoid future hassle.  They'll probably hit you harder with labour for bringing own parts anyway.   ;D

Lucky me they don't care - their labour rate is what it is.  Also where I'd take them they don't sell parts either...so not like I'd be competing against their own parts dept.

I just watched the videos...yeah...no feckin' way in hell would I even try to tackle the front shocks.  I don't even know if the one's off Bilstein are correct - don't recall seeing that spring "shelf" on the Bilsteins.  Rear?  Meh...maybe...but even then, 11 yr old bolts?  Let someone else with good tools do it.  Front.  Not even worth entertaining the idea.  But, might as well do the brakes then since it's all gotta come apart for that, too.  Save some labour pains with 1 stone and two birds as they say.

Sounds like you're set.  The Bilsteins for the front will have a spring perch.  That's how the 5100s are adjustable, you can move the perch up or down during installing to give a factory setting or a lift.  The 4600s still have a perch, just not adjustable. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2024, 12:21:56 pm »
Installed the B4600 on my Dad's 2010 regular cab F150 3 weeks ago. The B4600 are recommended on the F150 forums if you are keeping your truck the stock height. Dad had the Front Struts done a couple month earlier. The truck has 40000k on it and sat most it life. He uses it for moving his small utility tractor around. The thing jump around like a jacket rabbit. My dog and I were both traumatized by it when we drove it last spring. (with and without a 5000lb trailer). I called it the "pepe le pew" of trucks Needed the rear brake done and also replaced the front sway bar links. The load rated tires also were replaced because they were 12 yrs old (they were cracking because of the dry rot)  Load rated tires were quite expensive. Anyway drives like a new truck now. Very stable and composed We will see how it drive with a 5000lb trailer.  I think the rear brake are essential for the stability control to work. The garage asked if we ever removed the rear tires before . Hmm No.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2024, 04:10:16 pm »
The 5100s were awesome on my 93 K1500 and my 06 2500HD, cannot recommend them enough. Great on washboard and on road.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2024, 11:16:07 am »
Well...I did it...I ordered the 4600's (not doing any sort of lift or levelling or off roading)...guess we will find out soon enough if they actually make a difference and was $580 well spent.  Now...I probably should've called the mechanic to see what it's gonna cost to install them...oops!  :P ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2024, 04:42:31 pm »
18 days later, they have arrived.  No spring perches though...so...at least there's no way that would fit inside those skinny boxes.  Hopefully they can just use the stock Ford units...hopefully I got the right parts (I ordered the right parts and the confirmation shows the right parts but that doesn't mean I got the right parts).  Find out after work when I have a moment to open it all up.