Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 430790 times)

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #860 on: March 19, 2018, 09:47:58 pm »
You can’t do this in a motorcycle without a top case! No they’re not quite as fun as motorcycles but they’re so awesome for commuting.

Oh I have that beat!!

I could carry a medium pizza and a 6 pack on my Burgman.  Under the seat.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #861 on: March 20, 2018, 06:40:35 am »
I like the big engined scooters but struggle to under its value-add in places like the US where parking is plentiful and cost of car ownership is fairly low. In urban centres, sure. But the cost insuring a larger engined scooter, plus licensing equipments equivalent to that of a motorcycle, the value proposition drops off.

Actually, my 400cc scooter was cheaper to insure than my 400cc dual sport.
I don't know about exact insurance figures, but I know for licensing and insurance requirements, anything 50cc or above where I used to live in the US required a Motorcycle license. Now the insurance cost I'm not sure, but I can't imagine a 300cc scooter being much cheaper than the 240 $US I paid annually for comprehensive on my R3.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #862 on: March 20, 2018, 07:51:52 am »
I don't know about exact insurance figures, but I know for licensing and insurance requirements, anything 50cc or above where I used to live in the US required a Motorcycle license.
it's the same way here...you can buy a 49cc scooter and not have a motorcycle license to drive it, but you do have to have a drivers license (car)...as in, you can't drive it on public roads without a license (legally).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 20, 2018, 01:42:32 pm »
I like the big engined scooters but struggle to under its value-add in places like the US where parking is plentiful and cost of car ownership is fairly low. In urban centres, sure. But the cost insuring a larger engined scooter, plus licensing equipments equivalent to that of a motorcycle, the value proposition drops off.

Actually, my 400cc scooter was cheaper to insure than my 400cc dual sport.
I don't know about exact insurance figures, but I know for licensing and insurance requirements, anything 50cc or above where I used to live in the US required a Motorcycle license. Now the insurance cost I'm not sure, but I can't imagine a 300cc scooter being much cheaper than the 240 $US I paid annually for comprehensive on my R3.
I paid about $26 a month for my 400cc scooter in Ontario...land of the highest rates in North America.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #864 on: March 20, 2018, 01:47:51 pm »
I paid about $26 a month for my 400cc scooter in Ontario...land of the highest rates in North America.

Sorry, BC's got Ontario beat. $37/mo liability only for my Yamaha Vino 125. All 111-400cc bikes pay the same for liability so my CB300F costs the same. $225 for collision and comprehensive coverage on top.

Albertans pay under $300/year full coverage for their 600 super sports.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 20, 2018, 01:51:50 pm »

Sorry, BC's got Ontario beat. $37/mo liability only for my Yamaha Vino 125. All 111-400cc bikes pay the same for liability so my CB300F costs the same. $225 for collision and comprehensive coverage on top.

If for sure depends...age and riding experience too.

But size for size...a scooter here is always cheaper than most anything else.

I guess the stigma of a scooter being an old man's vehicle works out in this situation.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 20, 2018, 01:55:41 pm »
Is the maintenance/tires for scooter expensive like it is for bikes?

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 20, 2018, 02:08:04 pm »
No..the tires are quite cheap.  I almost laughed at how cheap top of the line Michelin were. $200 for a pair.

Oil changes are cheaper (less oil).

The only thing that might suck is if you have to completely remove all the body panels.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 20, 2018, 02:38:58 pm »

when i was going to pull the trigger on a CB400 last year, the insurance was $148/year...$278/year if i wanted collision (top of the line coverage)...it's another reason why i like scooters...they are so cheap to run (the CB400 isn't a scooter, but a 400cc or less scooter would likely be a similar price, i can't imagine it getting much cheaper than that).

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 20, 2018, 03:00:31 pm »
If for sure depends...age and riding experience too.

But size for size...a scooter here is always cheaper than most anything else.

I guess the stigma of a scooter being an old man's vehicle works out in this situation.

In BC, they use my driving experience for riding for liability. My riding experience, age, marital status, etc. only matters with the optional coverage portion which I get through a private insurance company.

I'm still excited that I'll be able to insure a super sport and a scooter in Alberta for the same price as my small bike in BC.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 20, 2018, 03:18:18 pm »
The tires on my Vino 125 were $80 a pair, but they needed to be replaced every 4k on the rear. I did it myself because the 10" tires were somewhat easy if not tedious to do myself and I didn't care about scratching the rims but I'd get a bigger scoot with bigger tires so I can get the long wearing Michelin City Grip.

Another huge advantage of scooters is that the CVT belt does not need to be cleaned and lubed every 800km. Have the CVT serviced every 8k to 10k for 49cc scooters to 18k to 24k+ for bigger scooters, I heard some may even have 48k intervals.

The big one to pay attention to is valve adjustment intervals. Smaller engines with the nut and screw type valves recommend adjustment every 4k although people claim to have observed that 12k is a more reasonable interval after the first couple. On most scooters, this is easy to do although I think incorrect adjustments was a contributing factor to my old Vino 125's engine grenading so I had the dealer do it after the rebuild. On most scooters, the valves are easy to get to and take no more than half an hour labour, but the Honda PCX is terrible for needing at least 2 hours labour to remove all the body plastics to get to the valve. Larger scooters will have shim type valves which hold longer (25.6k for Honda, 42k for Yamaha) although they are more labour intensive to adjust if required.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 20, 2018, 03:19:40 pm »
when i was going to pull the trigger on a CB400 last year, the insurance was $148/year...$278/year if i wanted collision (top of the line coverage)...it's another reason why i like scooters...they are so cheap to run (the CB400 isn't a scooter, but a 400cc or less scooter would likely be a similar price, i can't imagine it getting much cheaper than that).

I'm quoting one message at a time because I'm purposely trying to boost my post count.  ;D No, I'm just dumb.

Man that's cheap.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 20, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »
I'm dealing directly with the owner of the dealership for the possible purchase of the Duke. Such a breath of fresh air. Really good guy, answered all my questions...and most shockingly has been sweetening the pot with every email.  Though I think we're at the end of the sweetening part. After the last email, I jokingly asked "Anything else you want to throw in to temp me further?"

His reply?  "Free smiles for the transaction! Let me know if you’re ready to pull the trigger, I’d love to make a deal! "

Great guy, outstanding salesman.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 20, 2018, 04:39:49 pm »
I'm dealing directly with the owner of the dealership for the possible purchase of the Duke. Such a breath of fresh air. Really good guy, answered all my questions...and most shockingly has been sweetening the pot with every email.  Though I think we're at the end of the sweetening part. After the last email, I jokingly asked "Anything else you want to throw in to temp me further?"

His reply?  "Free smiles for the transaction! Let me know if you’re ready to pull the trigger, I’d love to make a deal! "

you should reply "Pffft...if i wanted free smiles, i'd go to McDonalds".   ;)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #874 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:10 pm »

Do it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 20, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »
Yamaha USA has the XMax, nothing announced in Canada yet, if ever.
i checked out that scooter...i like it.

the Missenden Flyer was really impressed too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXswXVCRnfY&t=1s

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 20, 2018, 10:20:50 pm »

I really prefer the new Forza.

And if Yamaha, I'd want the 530 DX.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 20, 2018, 10:23:21 pm »

it looks good too, but it's too new...i haven't seen any videos of it.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 20, 2018, 10:26:23 pm »

it looks good too, but it's too new...i haven't seen any videos of it.

You mean the Forza, right?

Lots of videos of the 530 DX.

Did you see this one?

https://youtu.be/F_bft1YBcmg

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 20, 2018, 11:23:02 pm »
you mean the Forza, right?