Author Topic: Blocking Threads  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Blocking Threads
« on: September 10, 2021, 12:37:54 pm »
I have made use of blocking users, however, I'd like to block threads as well.  There are some that it's best that I avoid them.

Is blocking threads possible?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
Re: Blocking Threads
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 01:32:17 pm »
I have made use of blocking users, however, I'd like to block threads as well.  There are some that it's best that I avoid them.

You could, you know, just... not click on them?  ;)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 02:24:42 pm »

Do you think that would work  ???  ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 03:29:06 pm »
It would definitely be lovely to have a MUTE button for some threads.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 05:38:40 pm »
The only one I've learned to stay far away from is the US politics one, I got heated a few times and then I realized that I don't really give a shiznat about another country....have you tried yoga Bubba?? If nothing else, attractive women in lulu lemon will help the nerves  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

ltruong

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 05:57:01 pm »
The only one I've learned to stay far away from is the US politics one, I got heated a few times and then I realized that I don't really give a shiznat about another country....have you tried yoga Bubba?? If nothing else, attractive women in lulu lemon will help the nerves  ;D

i usually only help one specific nerve....and then you're labeled as a creepo  ;D

i stay away from the real fuel consumption thread.  too much misinformation in there.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 06:15:08 pm »
 :rofl2:

Some interesting replies.

I struggle with self control on a few things; one of them being threads I should avoid.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 09:33:03 pm »
^^ except the Vintage Mopar threads.  :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 09:42:32 pm »
There isn't a built-in solution for the forums. However, you can do it with certain browser adblockers, if you're willing to do a little bit of legwork.

Here's a quick rundown of the process, based on the Google Chrome browser and uBlock Origins adblocker (not a recommendation, it's just what I'm using right now).

1. Go to this URL (copy and paste it into your URL bar):
chrome-extension://cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm/dashboard.html#1p-filters.html
You should see a window with a text box (this is the uBlock dashboard), and a row of buttons along the top that say "Settings", "Filter lists", etc. with "My filters" being the active tab (click on it if it isn't).

2. In a separate tab, navigate to the subforum that contains the thread you want to hide.
(e.g. https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?board=19570.0 , which is Off-Topic Discussions)

3. Right-click on the title of the thread you want to hide and in the menu that appears, go to Inspect.

4. In the window that appears, you should see a highlighted line that says
<a href...>TITLE OF THE THREAD</a>

5. Look at the line above it, it should say something like
<span id="msg_988827">
Make a note of the number after "msg_".

6. Back in the tab with the uBlock dashboard, copy and paste the following into the textbox, replacing the number after "msg_" with the number from the thread you want to hide, making sure to not replace any other character.
autos.ca###msg_988827:nth-ancestor(3)

7. Click "Apply changes".

8. Refresh the page with the forum topics. The thread you want to hide should now be gone.

Note: this just prevents the thread from appearing the topic list, it won't stop you from going to the URL directly.

If this process didn't scare you off and you'd like instructions for other browsers/adblockers, let me know.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 09:14:29 am »
There isn't a built-in solution for the forums. However, you can do it with certain browser adblockers, if you're willing to do a little bit of legwork.

Here's a quick rundown of the process, based on the Google Chrome browser and uBlock Origins adblocker (not a recommendation, it's just what I'm using right now).

chrome-extension://cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm/dashboard.html#1p-filters.html
You should see a window with a text box (this is the uBlock dashboard), and a row of buttons along the top that say "Settings", "Filter lists", etc. with "My filters" being the active tab (click on it if it isn't).

2. In a separate tab, navigate to the subforum that contains the thread you want to hide.
(e.g. https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?board=19570.0 , which is Off-Topic Discussions)

3. Right-click on the title of the thread you want to hide and in the menu that appears, go to Inspect.

<span id="msg_988827">

6. Back in the tab with the uBlock dashboard, copy and paste the following into the textbox, replacing the number after "msg_" with the number from the thread you want to hide, making sure to not replace any other character.

8. Refresh the page with the forum topics. The thread you want to hide should now be gone.

Note: this just prevents the thread from appearing the topic list, it won't stop you from going to the URL directly.

If this process didn't scare you off and you'd like instructions for other browsers/adblockers, let me know.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 10:48:32 am »
^^^^  :rofl2:

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 10:57:06 am »
Didn't even get that far

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 12:41:09 pm »

<span id="msg_988827">

I like Hire Solution