Author Topic: Notifications Stopped Working  (Read 1842 times)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Notifications Stopped Working
« on: April 13, 2021, 01:59:58 pm »
I recently changed my e-mail address successfully. However even though my notifications settings are 'on', and my current topic notifications are all listed, at the bottom of that list it says " You aren't receiving notifications on any boards right now. To request notifications from a specific board, click the "notify" button in the index of that board. "

Yet when going to all the specific boards, the only option is " unnotify" because of course all settings say I get them  ???   I've tried logging in and out. I've tried unticking notifications in settings, saving, then ticking them to on again and saving.

Looked for a way to contact or PM about this, nada. Cue Catch 22  :rofl2:  Ideas?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: Notifications Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 02:39:10 pm »
Found this old thread while going through, deleting my old notifications. And it was me that broke the place then too!  :-[   :run:

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=95137.0

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 04:09:51 pm »
Have you looked in your junk folder ?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:02:43 pm »
Have you looked in your junk folder ?

Yes, nothing there. Tomorrow I'll try deleting all cookies and start from scratch again. Changing an e-mail address everywhere is a pain.... some places are just impossible.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 04:14:36 pm »
OK I logged out, then deleted all autos.ca cookies, logged in and all my notifications info is still there. But I still haven't been getting notifications when I'm supposed to. Unless there are cookies using different site names that relate to this site, the information (and my no notification problem) is a server problem and therefore I can't fix it here.

If anyone takes care of this site, and happens to come along and read this thread, maybe they could look into this glitch and fix it.

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 01:48:47 pm »
For anyone who's experiencing the same issue, the problem here was caused by the ISP's webmail configuration.

If you've recently been switched over to webmail by your ISP (look for "IMAP" or phrases like "access your email anywhere"), notification emails from the Autos.ca forum may be flagged as spam by your ISP and are not downloaded to your desktop mail client. To fix this, you'll have to log into your webmail account on your browser, find the notification emails and mark them as "Not Spam".

If this doesn't work, please PM me.

Thanks!
Andy

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 04:41:30 pm »
Thanks so much to Andy for solving this one.

My ISP Cable Company got bought out by Rogers, who is forcing closure of that Company, migrating everyone over to the Rogers' platform. This is happening all over, its how Rogers is expanding. For the Ignite package, Rogers uses their own dedicated space on Yahoo Mail for webmail, if you decide to use a Rogers e-mail address to replace your old e-mail. 

Its that platform which will block and put into its spam folder all autos forum notifications. So if you are using, say, Thunderbird or Outlook or Windows Mail or iOS or Android or Blackberry as your 'e-mail client/program', you won't get a thing until Rogers/Yahoo is told they aren't spam. All your autos.ca settings will look normal and your e-mail program will work normally for other e-mails, so its hard to pinpoint.

Hope this helps someone, down the line.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 05:05:03 pm »
You’re welcome.   ;)   ;D