Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6 Ecoboost  (Read 26325 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6 Ecoboost
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:59 am »

Peter Bleakney is smitten with the Fusion's good looks and dynamic handling, but the interior disappoints.

Read More...

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6 Ecoboost
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 07:28:36 am »
That interior is boring, a real let down compared to some other ford products and the ecoboost engines  don't really seem to show any advantages over naturally aspirated engines. Honda seems to have a better power plant.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:17:38 am »
Talking about some modern turbo engined cars from Fiat's MultiAir, through 1.4 Cruze to Sonata 2.0T and now this Fusion I'm wondering is the increased complexity of the engine mechanics (and eventually control electronics) a source of reduced reliability, comparing with their respective "normal"engines? Is there any data for long term reliability, at least as an expectation?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:28:29 am »
Having seen this car in person, the front seats look pretty sharp, and to me have a '70s-era Alfa / Lancia vibe to them.  The IP however is pretty bland, indeed. Somewhere between bland and Romulan spaceship (Focus) is the right design.

The SE I saw was charcoal gray over black, with optional plus-size wheels. Along with the 2.0EB, it stickered at 31k$ and looked twice that, judged from the gawkings of onlookers.

I haven't driven the 1.6EB yet, but the 2.0EB in the Escape had an immediatecy to it that was quite pleasing to my heavy right foot.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 08:43:51 am »
I've seen quite a few so far, this is a really sharp looking car, Ford has done their homework on design.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:55:41 am »
Talking about some modern turbo engined cars from Fiat's MultiAir, through 1.4 Cruze to Sonata 2.0T and now this Fusion I'm wondering is the increased complexity of the engine mechanics (and eventually control electronics) a source of reduced reliability, comparing with their respective "normal"engines? Is there any data for long term reliability, at least as an expectation?

VW / Audi have been making mass-produced turbo motors for a loooooong time.

I've seen a few Fusions on the road now and agree that they look pretty sharp.  Something I can't put my finger on seems not quite there, but overall it's very well done.  A much more appealing design than the all-new and fractionally-less-boring Accord, IMO.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 08:56:21 am »

I've seen a few Fusions on the road now and agree that they look pretty sharp.  Something I can't put my finger on seems not quite there, but overall it's very well done.  A much more appealing design than the all-new and fractionally-less-boring Accord, IMO.

Personally, I think the grill opening is still too big.  Shrink it down a bit and it would look killer

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 09:04:35 am »
I've seen these on the road, like the Jag / Aston front end. Have not seen the inside though.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 09:26:23 am »
That interior is boring, a real let down compared to some other ford products and the ecoboost engines  don't really seem to show any advantages over naturally aspirated engines. Honda seems to have a better power plant.

Very true.  If you push a turbo engine, it will consume fuel like a naturally aspirated engine it replaced.  The point is in stop and go traffic, it should consume less.

That said, I feel the Ecoboost fuel savings are overhyped and a diesel like in the European models would deliver.  In most cases, the stated TC fuel economy for a diesel is more closely matched in the real world than gas or gas hybrids.

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 09:28:41 am »

Personally, I think the grill opening is still too big.  Shrink it down a bit and it would look killer

I dont know, I quite like it as is, in comparison to that large gaping hole below the bumper of the Avalon, just saying.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:51:09 am »
This car looks great on the outside but as with rest of Ford's lineup the inside I just can't get used to.  I think Accord is the best value in this segment now.  Honda does a great job with their 4 cylinder engines and it always has.  Ford already has issues with this turbo engine.  I think I'd trust VW more at this point reliability wise than Ford. 

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:52:21 am »
Hey Jaeger, you are right - VW/Audi builds them long time and statistic shows that 1.8T for example is the worse engine in terms failures - from failed spark plug coils to...mechanical issues. The engine was discontinued and replaced with much better 2.0 T unit. And my concern is 'cause this Fusion engine is the first gen 1.6 turbo from Ford...

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 10:06:36 am »
While the fuel efficiency of these engines seems to bug some people a lot, I don't mind the results - if you want to maximize your mileage, you have the choice to drive in that manner and you'll get great results. If you want performance, go ahead and thrash it. But at least you have the option.

Small motor, big lag, that's not news either. I had an '02 WRX that was laughably weak at 2,000 rpm. The difference with that one was that I never got good mileage, ever, no matter how I drove it.

Did Ford poach Volvo's seat technology? It seems like Ford seats get a fair number of compliments lately. I'm going to have to check this out.

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 10:13:47 am »
I think Accord is the best value in this segment now.
It all depends on the definition of value. A base 2013 Sonata can be had for $22,064+tax while a base Accord with CVT is 25,190+tax.

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 10:20:51 am »
Another good mid-sized sedan. I'm not as smitten as others seem to be over the design. Very nice yes, but seems about 20psi over inflated – if they'd let a little air out of the overall design it may have settled down into a little more definition.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 10:24:11 am »
Sat inside my friend's new SE 2.0 turbo (no MFT screen)  Yeah its more on the plain side compared to a Sonata or something. However it felt comfortable and well put together. The materials to me felt higher quality than some other cars in class. I likled the lighting on the IP and gauges. Yeah its not an Audi but overall I think I could happily live with the interior. The short ride I had it was quiet and I though the ride had just the right balance fro me between comfort and firm.

Yes the seats were very good also. It looks like the back window has a severe slope that would impact rear head room but my freind is 6 foot 5 and says he can sit back there with no issue.

Shame about all the turbo engine issues so far. Can they throw the V6 from the Mustang in there?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 10:26:07 am »
This Fusion is killer on the outside. A year down the road when the first impression is worn off, all the attention will switch to the interior. That's where I spend most of my time with the car and that's where the Fusion loses big time to the Accord. It may look "boring" but "boring" ages much better. Now Ford im my view needs to do what Honda did with the Civic. Redo the interior for the next model year then they can give the rest in the segment a run for their money.

And yeah, they need to sort out the turbo engine problems quickly. It would be a shame for such a nice design to flop.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2108
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 10:34:26 am »
Its easily the best looking sedan on the road, I mean, if youre gonna shamelessly copy a front end, Aston Martin is a pretty good place to copy from. Havent driven one yet, but Ive gotta say, this or the turbo Kia would be number one in my shopping list.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 11:06:06 am »
Ford has done a great job with the styling. Easily one of the best looking of the affordable cars on the road. The mpg's definitely disappoint considering the 'Ecoboost' hype. Maybe the 1.6 would do better with the manual. I've read good things about that combination for good value and fun to drive. Like the sounds of the comfortable front seats, roomy backs seat, but the MyTouch system never seems to get any love whatsoever. Good place to save $850.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 12:04:03 pm »
I think Accord is the best value in this segment now.
It all depends on the definition of value. A base 2013 Sonata can be had for $22,064+tax while a base Accord with CVT is 25,190+tax.

Exactly, but a base Chrysler 200 could be had for $18,090 + tax but I doubt many here would chose it over the Accord or Sonata?