Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited  (Read 9064 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited
« on: February 25, 2013, 06:29:49 am »

Totally redesigned, the new Avalon is more enjoyable than ever thanks to improved looks, driving dynamics and modern features.

Read More...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:51:47 am »
I was disappointed sitting in one (no test drive) small info screen,bland interior (to me)..love that colour on your tester..wish it was available on the Rav4 (it ain't  :'( )...............I am probably their previous demographic...didn't bite..probably won't now..............i think many will pony up the extra $2K for the Lexus E 350...at this level of customer it's only a monthly pension cheque difference.... :stick: :hide: ....and they don't care what your "client" thinks.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:00:02 am »
Clearly the best looking Avalon since it's inception. Always an issue with Toyota highend vehicles bordering on their own Lexus brand.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:46:23 pm »
My parents recently (last week) went to Arizona and their rental car was a loaded Avalon.  The overall feedback from them was that the car rides supremely well from the back seat, drives pretty well through the mountains, and was as luxurious as their Lexus (albeit a 2006 model).  They attested that there were no rattles/creeks (which shocked me - never Toyota's strong suit).

Here's the bigger caveat that ya'll aren't thinking of - a Lexus not only costs more to purchase, but costs a hell of a lot more to own.  Though my parents love their current Lexus, they would never buy one again because it's just not worth it (they say that now, I don't believe them).

Hey, GM sold near-identical cars for decades well...maybe this too shall sell.  Even the Fresh Breeze (FRS-BRZ) twins sell at nearly the same price...so given a small savings on the Avalon, this may be viable over the ES350 in some numbers...but then isn't Toyota just competing with itself?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:23:21 pm »
I may be in the minority, but I think this car is a great package. Looks good inside and out, generous room for 5 passengers, well-equipped, will likely ride beautifully and if the previous generations are any benchmark it will last forever.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:33:06 pm »
I like Avalon as a lesson to big Fords and Chryslers with its pedal shifters, Aston mouth, JBL sound system and firmer ride - all  goodies never met in a seniors' car!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:38:14 pm »
NoTo your parents GOT a 2013 Rental or OLDE SKOOL one................they(2013's) just came out.........................and Loaded as in Limited Model...i call B?S............. 8) ..................

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »
 Took 'em awhile...they finally got it right..Lovely vehicle...Jack

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:53:01 pm »
NoTo your parents GOT a 2013 Rental or OLDE SKOOL one................they(2013's) just came out.........................and Loaded as in Limited Model...i call B?S............. 8) ..................

Yes, 2013.  Had 8 mi on the odo when they picked it up.  I saw the pics. I don't live with them, so I don't have any to post, but you'll just have to take my word on it.  No B.S. here.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »
I like Avalon as a lesson to big Fords and Chryslers with its pedal shifters, Aston mouth, JBL sound system and firmer ride - all  goodies never met in a seniors' car!

What lesson in sportiness is an Avalon going to give to a Taurus SHO or Dodge Charger R/T?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »
Hey, GM sold near-identical cars for decades well...maybe this too shall sell.  Even the Fresh Breeze (FRS-BRZ) twins sell at nearly the same price...so given a small savings on the Avalon, this may be viable over the ES350 in some numbers...but then isn't Toyota just competing with itself?

There is a significant difference between an all Japanese ES350 and the American made Avalon.  Toyota puts much more insulation and quiet thingys in the Lexus.  The materials are better, radios, etc.   However, you pay for it on certain models of the ES.

Toyota Canada has always gouged with the Avalon and they are still doing it.  Look at US models and pricing.  ::)

It's cheaper to lease a base ES350 than to lease a premium Avalon and the ES350 has slightly better stuff.   Lexus nails you when it comes to NAV.  If you can do without that then the ES350 is the way to go between these two.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 04:12:19 pm »

Well "loaded" means different things to different ppl.  US Avalons have been out for a couple of months.  Base Avalon has leather heated seats with smart key.  $31,800 freight in.  ::);  sunroof/rear camera - $34K   Can see Toyota alocating a bunch to certain rental locations right off the bat for marketing purposes.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 04:57:36 pm »

What lesson in sportiness is an Avalon going to give to a Taurus SHO or Dodge Charger R/T?

How to be a reliable, boring, white bread quasi luxury sedan....Im pulling at strings.....I dont know, gimme a rwd Mopar if I was gonna do a large 4 door.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:10 pm »
Was at a Toyota dealer a few months ago, nice interior etc  but if they cannot even attach a weather stripping properly as the floor model depicted no thnx.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 11:19:01 am »
Well "loaded" means different things to different ppl.  US Avalons have been out for a couple of months.  Base Avalon has leather heated seats with smart key.  $31,800 freight in.  ::);  sunroof/rear camera - $34K   Can see Toyota alocating a bunch to certain rental locations right off the bat for marketing purposes.

Had HIDs and rear cross-traffic alert (which my father raved about when our cousin was driving - eep)...It was a Limited.  Rental Agencies in the US do tend to have optioned up cars - I've rented a Focus Titanium two years in a row in California (and it had the self-park feature).

There is a significant difference between an all Japanese ES350 and the American made Avalon.  Toyota puts much more insulation and quiet thingys in the Lexus.  The materials are better, radios, etc.   However, you pay for it on certain models of the ES.

Have you sat in the new Avalon and ES to support to that claim?

From Car and Driver:
"The structure is stiffer than the previous version, too, which has helped make powertrain, suspension, and road noise even more hushed than before—and decidedly Lexus-like. We had a chance to sample new and old models back-to-back, and the latest Avalon feels more modern, more solid, quieter, and more expensive...Unlike its predecessor, the 2013 Avalon makes sense in the Toyota/Lexus hierarchy, and it’s better to drive than the Lexus ES and the Camry while delivering luxury and refinement that neatly split those two cars."

source: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-toyota-avalon-first-drive-review

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 12:11:49 pm »
I've seen a couple of these new Avalons up close now and I have to say that I really do like them for a nice, largish, safe, conservative near-luxury sedan. The new design is obviously restrained but the car has nice lines in the flesh...not crazy about the double-stacked grill tho. One could do worse for a comfortable multi-person distance traveller within the speed limit.

This is not a car worth complaining about...or directing meaningful criticism at. It does what it was designed to do and seems to perform as promised.

A worthy Toyota flagship sedan.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 02:55:39 pm »

I was down in the Georgetown factory when they first started building them if that qualifies for anything.  I've being around Toyotas for along time and pound for pound Japanese Lexus are a higher grade build.    In this case, if one can do without NAV, an ES350 is a better way to go IMO than a similarly equipped Avalon.

The Avalon is a real improvement over the past version.  But so is the 2012 Camry over the last gen.  Toyota is making an effort this time to try and distinguish the Avalon and they did that with the exterior, but underneath it's a Camry.  When they follow each other down the line it's the same CV axles, motors, brakes, fuel pumps, wiring looms, etc., that get installed.  The Avalon gets better insulation and things of that nature.  But the vehicles are closely linked.  More more closely linked than with an ES350 that is receiving parts from different suppliers than the Camry/Avalon.

That CD article was just a first drive.  No testing down.  You don't even know if the writer was refefring to a 2013 ES.  It was a pretty fluffy piece.  The reviewer simply refers to "Camry".  Is he talking about a V6 SE or a V6 XLE?   Big diff in ride and handling between those two.   

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 05:58:15 pm »

I was down in the Georgetown factory when they first started building them if that qualifies for anything.  I've being around Toyotas for along time and pound for pound Japanese Lexus are a higher grade build.    In this case, if one can do without NAV, an ES350 is a better way to go IMO than a similarly equipped Avalon.

The Avalon is a real improvement over the past version.  But so is the 2012 Camry over the last gen.  Toyota is making an effort this time to try and distinguish the Avalon and they did that with the exterior, but underneath it's a Camry.  When they follow each other down the line it's the same CV axles, motors, brakes, fuel pumps, wiring looms, etc., that get installed.  The Avalon gets better insulation and things of that nature.  But the vehicles are closely linked.  More more closely linked than with an ES350 that is receiving parts from different suppliers than the Camry/Avalon.

That CD article was just a first drive.  No testing down.  You don't even know if the writer was refefring to a 2013 ES.  It was a pretty fluffy piece.  The reviewer simply refers to "Camry".  Is he talking about a V6 SE or a V6 XLE?   Big diff in ride and handling between those two.

Fair enough - wasn't attacking you, just wondering if you had seen one in person - I haven't, I only have hearsay evidence.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »
I understood that.  My point is that bolt for bolt the quality of the Japan production is slightly superior to the US production.  If both vehicles are priced the same, I would recommend the ES.  On a pure resale metric the Lexus will fetch more $$$. 

This won't apply in the US because there the Avalon is priced very nicely.  But isn't everything.  :P

By brother-in-law was President of Toyota's "just in time parts" for North America and Europe.  Retired now, but still lives only minutes from Toyota's NA production headquarters in northern Kentucky.  According to him, the Japanese handed over control of production to their American management and that's when the quality and production quality headed south.  They took it back a few years ago.  Most plant managers are now from Japan.  Regardless, he says the Japanese guy that runs the entire NA production sits at a desk on the floor with all the other management staff in an office in northern KY just like they do in Japan.  That's part of why I say that Japanese production is a tad better dollar for dollar.

Just announced that GM paid Akerson 11 Million for 2012.  History repeating itself.       
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:49:12 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
I understood that.  My point is that bolt for bolt the quality of the Japan production is slightly superior to the US production.  If both vehicles are priced the same, I would recommend the ES.  On a pure resale metric the Lexus will fetch more $$$. 

Can't argue with you there :)  Only way the Toyota beats out the Lexus in this regard is likely the cost of ownership (maintenance, specifically).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:09:12 pm by NoTo »