Author Topic: I thought the Crosstrek was overrated, then I drove one to Boston  (Read 1109 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: I thought the Crosstrek was overrated, then I drove one to Boston
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2024, 03:50:39 pm »
13 years of driving my GTI to the ski hills in the winter and I never had a problem. We’re not known for getting huge of dumps of snow here, so the GTI’s ground clearance was sufficient. Definitely scraped the undercarriage a bunch of times, but never got stuck (good winter tires FTW.)

Still, for a daily driver I like the extra ride height of the Crosstrek. Not so much for the extra ground clearance (although it certainly doesn’t hurt) but mostly because it’s just so much more comfortable to live with.

If I’m buying a BRZ, then sure, lower is better. But I don’t much see the point for a daily driver.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2024, 10:31:03 am »
This is what the market noticed and came to the same conclusion  years ago and hence the plethora of CUVs and very few butt scraper rides.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2024, 10:46:40 am »
Spent half a day riding shotgun in my buddies 7 year old 150,000 km Crosstrek.  I still really like this car and keep thinking about trading the 'Rolla in for one. Would lose some fuel economy but gain a hatch, AWD, and clearance for some out of the way trail heads on sketchy access roads.

I care more about function than fashion so the interior doesn't bother me at all and road noise is similar to my 'Rolla.

I don't think the Crosstrek pretends to be anything it isn't. One of the best small but functional hatches with AWD that has adequate power and good fuel economy.  Just wish Subaru would hurry up and make a hybrid version.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2024, 10:52:57 am »
Spent half a day riding shotgun in my buddies 7 year old 150,000 km Crosstrek.  I still really like this car and keep thinking about trading the 'Rolla in for one. Would lose some fuel economy but gain a hatch, AWD, and clearance for some out of the way trail heads on sketchy access roads.

I care more about function than fashion so the interior doesn't bother me at all and road noise is similar to my 'Rolla.

I don't think the Crosstrek pretends to be anything it isn't. One of the best small but functional hatches with AWD that has adequate power and good fuel economy.  Just wish Subaru would hurry up and make a hybrid version.

We're all waiting for the PHEV version to come back, but the old one lost some trunk space because of the battery.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2024, 04:21:35 pm »
^^^How many of those were sold in Canada ? I don't think I have ever saw one. Probably most sold in Quebec.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2024, 04:31:44 pm »
^^^How many of those were sold in Canada ? I don't think I have ever saw one. Probably most sold in Quebec.

IIRC they were only available in Quebec.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2024, 04:54:11 pm »

Maybe BC? And in the US - some states at least - the press covered them.

Prius Prime tech, same 8.8 kWh battery, but working through Subaru's awd and CVT, so not as efficient.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 05:01:45 pm »

Prius Prime tech, same 8.8 kWh battery, but working through Subaru's awd and CVT, so not as efficient.
Was the first gen CVT problematic?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 05:08:53 pm »

Was the first gen CVT problematic?

Same gen as my car - don't think they ever had CVT issues in smaller cars, unlike some early automatics.