Author Topic: 2023 GMC Acadia SLT with Elevation pkg  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: 2023 GMC Acadia SLT with Elevation pkg
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2023, 03:33:13 pm »
GM still does the column shifter on some of its half tons. 

I know this because my Dad's '22 Silverado has a front bench seat - I sat in the middle for a short stint after a canoe paddle in NB a few weeks ago.  Can't do a bench seat with a center console shifter.

Actually, a nice spec of a truck.  It's a Custom, so one up from a work truck.  Has some nice exterior bits to make it look higher end, like decent wheels and body colour trim, but the interior is pretty basic.  Bench seats front and rear, so he can seat six in a pinch, cloth seats, a tiny screen that only shows the necessities, and not much else.

Oh, and the 5.3 V8 WITHOUT AFM (and the basic 6-speed transmission).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 03:37:12 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2023, 03:33:18 pm »
I still don't know what was wrong with a column/console shift. The stupid one in my Ridgeline doesn't even open up the console for more storage/cupholders/power outlets, just makes shifting something I have to look down to do.

Right, but you don't have to lean forward to do it and really look at what you're doing.

I really miss the column shifter.  The Tremor has a plastic console stick shifter that auto folds into the console if you want it too.   Somebody at Ford thought that would be a cool marketing gimmick.  Consequently, it doesn't have a solid feel to it whatsoever.  Column would be so much nicer.

As for dial shifters  ::)

Hyundai is bringing back the column shifter in the Sonata and others, but it's the twist, move pull push thingy from the Ioniq5.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2023, 03:33:46 pm »
I still don't know what was wrong with a column/console shift. The stupid one in my Ridgeline doesn't even open up the console for more storage/cupholders/power outlets, just makes shifting something I have to look down to do.

Right, but you don't have to lean forward to do it and really look at what you're doing.

I really miss the column shifter.  The Tremor has a plastic console stick shifter that auto folds into the console if you want it too.   Somebody at Ford thought that would be a cool marketing gimmick.  Consequently, it doesn't have a solid feel to it whatsoever.  Column would be so much nicer.

In the past, column shifters were for minivans and trucks, anything "sporty" had to have a console shifter. Since most vehicles today are terrible, boring, soulless CUV blobs, lets just stick with console shifters for ease of usage.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2023, 03:34:22 pm »

Hyundai is bringing back the column shifter in the Sonata and others, but it's the twist, move pull push thingy from the Ioniq5.

Leave it to Kyundai to make everything worse  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2023, 03:34:51 pm »
GM still does the column shifter on some of its half tons. 

I know this because my Dad's '22 Silverado has a front bench seat - I sat in the middle for a short stint after a canoe paddle in NB a few weeks ago.  Can't do a bench seat with a center console shifter.

Yeah, that should be default

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2023, 03:35:23 pm »
The Charger cop cars have a true column shift:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2023, 03:36:45 pm »
Well yeah, because in high stress situations you don't want the person to think three times about how to get the vehicle to go from D to R or whatever.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2023, 03:38:10 pm »
Well yeah, because in high stress situations you don't want the person to think three times about how to get the vehicle to go from D to R or whatever.

Also frees up space for all the equipment they'll put in the middle.  Like a laptop.  Which makes me wonder what's the point of that big screen... is it supposed to replace the laptop that most interceptors have in the middle? 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2023, 03:40:01 pm »

Also frees up space for all the equipment they'll put in the middle.  Like a laptop.  Which makes me wonder what's the point of that big screen... is it supposed to replace the laptop that most interceptors have in the middle?

I would imagine that integrating all the Police software into the Dodge screen would be a nightmare and licensing garbage would make it a no go, but yeah, that would seem like the best idea as most new cars come with a huge Ipad screwed to the dash.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2023, 03:42:25 pm »

Imagine this with a modern shifter... Or the very worst of them all: the screen buttons in Muskmobiles.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2023, 03:49:28 pm »

Imagine this with a modern shifter... Or the very worst of them all: the screen buttons in Muskmobiles.

After you defeated all the nannies and the airbags would still deploy halfway through your Rockford.....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2023, 05:12:18 pm »
Forget the Acadia....your CX-90 had a front diff issue already at 400 km??

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2023, 05:33:40 pm »

Detailed elsewhere, but yeah it leaked oil in my driveway and it came from a faulty gasket between the front diff and the engine. Due to gaskets being b/o, they replaced the entire front diff, which requires removing an engine mount and pushing the whole thing up a bit to extract the diff. Plus, they spotted a water pump leak and replaced that too. They just delivered the car back to us after a week at the dealership the day before we had to hit the road. Not knowing we were getting it back in time, I had advanced and extended a presser loan and stayed with that plan. In the end the Acadia offered an HUD, Nav, a Bose stereo and vented seats so it made a good travel companion. Sad not to have spent open road time with the CX-90 though - that route, with many secondary roads, would have provided the perfect terrain to break-in the ICE that will not see much use otherwise.

Edit: we were weary too of going to the US with the Mazda after such extensive surgery. It's been fine locally though since then.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2023, 05:35:34 pm »
Some friends just bought a new Traverse. It was a great deal and they needed a larger SUV. I didn’t mind the Acadia we had for a few years, was a 2011 and was a overall decent SUV.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2023, 05:37:18 pm »

Detailed elsewhere, but yeah it leaked oil in my driveway and it came from a faulty gasket between the front diff and the engine. Due to gaskets being b/o, they replaced the entire front diff, which requires removing an engine mount and pushing the whole thing up a bit to extract the diff. Plus, they spotted a water pump leak and replaced that too. They just delivered the car back to us after a week at the dealership the day before we had to hit the road. Not knowing we were getting it back in time, I had advanced and extended a presser loan and stayed with that plan. In the end the Acadia offered an HUD, Nav, a Bose stereo and vented seats so it made a good travel companion. Sad not to have spent open road time with the CX-90 though - that route, with many secondary roads, would have provided the perfect terrain to break-in the ICE that will not see much use otherwise.

Edit: we were weary too of going to the US with the Mazda after such extensive surgery. It's been fine locally though since then.

Yikes. That is a lot of major components on a brand spankin' new vehicle. Never buy the first year model.  :P

Glad to hear its resolved and hopefully it stays that way.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2023, 05:37:34 pm »
Some friends just bought a new Traverse. It was a great deal and they needed a larger SUV. I didn’t mind the Acadia we had for a few years, was a 2011 and was a overall decent SUV.

Traverse, like Enclave, stayed on a larger platform at the gen change in 2017 while the Acadia downsized to one shared with XT5/Equinox/Blazer/Terrain. I found it "right-sized", but the extra room from the Traverse would have been nice.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2023, 05:47:43 pm »

Our 2014 ate front sway bar endlinks and guzzled fuel but overall was a decent family hauler for nearly 200k km.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2023, 08:11:06 pm »

Honda should just go back to this for the 2024 Ridgeline.